Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Do any mp3 players have replaceable batteries?

by valkaz / October 9, 2006 2:34 AM PDT

Is this a major problem? I like to be able to replace batteries when they go bad, but does this mean that I'd have to buy a new mp3 player each time?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do any mp3 players have replaceable batteries?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do any mp3 players have replaceable batteries?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by tubemonkey / October 9, 2006 2:43 AM PDT

There are a few out there, but not many. I refuse to buy most devices if I can't readily swap batteries.

Collapse -
Only for those that consider it a problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2006 3:20 AM PDT

Even the iPods have replaceable batteries (at least for me.)

Collapse -
by tubemonkey / October 10, 2006 2:19 AM PDT

You mean you can slide the battery cover off, pull out the old battery, and put in a new one without using tools?

Collapse -
Just the tools I have.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2006 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Replaceable?

I didn't have to use anything exotic. I'm sure you understand my meaning here.

Collapse -
Easily replaceable
by tubemonkey / October 10, 2006 8:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Just the tools I have.

I want a device that will let me change batteries in a matter of seconds. Like in the middle of a long plane flight.

I wonder why cell phones don't use sealed batteries like MP3 player's do?

Collapse -
Then use what I use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2006 8:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Easily replaceable

I have a charger for those long flights. But the longest flight I have is 6 hours. Most units exceed that.

Are we paying for something we don't need?

Collapse -
International flights
by tubemonkey / October 10, 2006 5:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Then use what I use.

Do international flights have power outlets?

US to Australia = 16 hours

And no, we're not paying for something we don't need; because we won't buy a device that doesn't let you swap batteries in a matter of seconds.

Collapse -
I'm confused.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2006 9:32 PM PDT
In reply to: International flights

The issue seems pretty straightforward here. You have a specific want so you should pick out your solution.

Collapse -
it's all about compromise
by stoni34652 / October 16, 2006 8:48 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm confused.

I think most mp3 players with large storage capacities, have fixed batteries, and those with smaller capacities (normally flash) have replaceable batteries. The only hard disk mp3 player i found with a replaceable battery was the sony hd5, but they removed that idea with the new player, so i cant have that anymore.

herein lies music-lovers-who-go-on-long-flights' problems

Collapse -
Batteries Charge Less and Less after a year a flight 90 mile
by rsder / May 25, 2014 4:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Then use what I use.

Batteries run out ,Planned obsolescence look this term up if you dont know Planned Obsolescence

Collapse -
Rechargeable or non-chargeable?
by ahtoi / October 10, 2006 7:14 AM PDT

I am sure they are all replacable; it's just that they might be very expensive if they're propeitary stuff.

Collapse -
The priciest iPod battery I replaced was 30'ish?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2006 7:52 AM PDT

Compared to a new player, seems cheap.

Collapse -
Archos 604 has a battery that slides off
by neATL / October 10, 2006 10:59 PM PDT

I dont take long trips but my work has me outside for hours on end away from power outlets. A second battery for me is a must.

Bob, the batteries in Ipods are not that easy to replace. Its just not sir. This person is looking for something they can swap out on-the-fly. iPod just doesnt offer that. I know a few people who replaced thier iPod battery only to have thier hard drive wiped clean or some other problem.

Collapse -
Valkaz or tubemonkey?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2006 1:36 AM PDT

Unless both members are the same the question is not.

For me, changing the battery was trivial. But then again that's me. If you read Valkaz's question it is not asking the same as tubemonkey's.

Collapse -
Try Rio Cali/Forge or Creative Zen Nano
by ktreb / October 11, 2006 1:50 AM PDT

These take AAA batteries. They are fairly low capacity flash-based players. They have screens, but they are rather plain.

You can up the capacity on the Cali/Forge with an SD card. I'm not sure what the battery life on these are, but what can be easier than replacing a single AAA battery? I used to have a Rio Cali, and I think I got at least 15 hours on one battery. You can carry a couple of spares. The Rio Forge is the Cali's update. Unfortunately, Rio is out of the MP3 player business. You should still be able to find some new ones out there.

You should be able to find the Creative Zen Nano fairly easy. If you have a Fry's nearby, they sell it. Or you can buy it online. They top out at 1GB and you can't add more memory.

If you are looking for something with a higher capacity, you could try Creative Zen Micro Photo. It is available in sizes up to 8GB. It uses a removable & rechargable Li-ion battery, rated at 15 hours. You can buy an extra battery.

Hope this helps!

Collapse -
Sandisk Sansa M260 (4 gb) takes 1 AAA battery
by jenfer1971 / October 11, 2006 2:36 PM PDT

I bought this specifically because my Rio's battery died, and the Rio died with it. I use high power rechargeable batteries, and if I have it on all day at work, I change the battery every other day. I really do like it. It can play Audible files as well as music files, and it also records, though I haven't been able to figure that out yet. : ) There is a review here on CNET for it as well.
You should be able to find these at any store such as Best Buy and Walmart and such...I got mine for about $150 or so.
Good luck,

Collapse -
Re: Do any mp3 players have replaceable batteries?
by Solitaire001 / October 13, 2006 1:29 AM PDT

One type of MP3 players that use replaceable batteries are the CD/MP3 players. These are players that can play both standard CDs and CDs containing MP3 files. With 128kbs MP3 files, a single CD can hold over 10 hours of music.

The ones I've seen at the store use one or two AA batteries and can use both rechargeable and disposable batteries. Compared to many other players, the battery life of these type of players is outstanding, the CD/MP3 player I have (a Sony D-NE710) will play for at least 50 hours with one set of alkaline AA batteries.

Collapse -
more problems...
by stoni34652 / October 16, 2006 8:57 AM PDT

Admittedly the battery life on each set of batteries is good, and if you can afford to, it has an infinite battery life, and infinite capacity, there is the problem that they are limited in size by the cd, and it isnt the best size to slip in your pocket.

I personally would go for one of these if it could be shrunk physically.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.