E-readers

General discussion

Do any ebook readers have a backlit screen?

by fiveomys / January 27, 2010 2:15 AM PST

My wife does a lot of reading at night and we have purchased just about every book reading light ever made. I would like to get her an ebook reader that has a backlit screen. Does it exist?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do any ebook readers have a backlit screen?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do any ebook readers have a backlit screen?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There are probably a couple out there, but off brands...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / January 27, 2010 6:55 AM PST

I think the major reason why ebooks manufactures don't incorporate backlit screen is because of how much backlit screen decreases battery life... Plus if this device is to mimic a traditional book, books don't have lights built in ;-).

The solution is buying a reading light as you've always have for traditional books and use it with your e-book reader. Here are some examples from the Sony readers:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644523783&N=4294954526

Cheers!

Collapse -
RE:
by fiveomys / January 27, 2010 7:39 AM PST

Thanks for the reply. With Apple's iPad announcement today, I think I found my winner!

Collapse -
Backlit screen in a darkened room...
by make_or_break / January 30, 2010 11:44 PM PST
In reply to: RE:

...just the thought of it makes my eyes water.

Collapse -
backlight
by jlsn5576 / January 30, 2010 12:22 PM PST

the reason there is no backlight is because the screen on the e-readers is made to mimic paper for ease on eyes, thus, a backlight would actually cause eye-strain! you would have to purchase or use those book lights for the e-readers.

Collapse -
reader with backlight
by Kos-mos7 / March 15, 2010 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: backlight

The eBookwise has a backlight & battery life is great.

Collapse -
Re: Do any ebook readers have a backlit screen?
by tazangel52 / March 4, 2011 5:13 AM PST

I have a Cruz ereader and it not only has a backlit screen but it has night/day mode. I can lay in bed and read at night and it does not bother my husband because I dont have to have a light on in the room. Also you can turn down the brightness of the screen so its not so hard on your eyes. Works great.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.