Samsung forum

General discussion

DLP Twon't turn on, blinking green lamp light then shuts dow

by Newfieace / June 16, 2010 11:21 AM PDT

50" DLP TV. When I turn on the TV I hear the chime as if the TV is going to turn on. I get the flashing green "Lamp" indicator on the power button on the TV which is normal. However the TV never comes on. No picture or sound. It just sits there flashing the green "Lamp" indicator for about 1.5 minutes. While this is happening I hear the fan running as normal and I can see that the Lamp is on by looking at the back of the TV. After about 1.5 minutes the lamp indicator stops flashing and then there are no indicators at all. After about another minute I hear the fan stop running, the LAMP goes off, I can see this by looking at the back of the TV, and the Red Standby light turns on. Basically the TV shuts down.

Can anybody give me any ideas on what to look for as I troubleshoot or what you think may be the issue. Here are my thoughts:

Doesn't look look the Lamp is the problem since it comes on ok as seen from the back of the TV.
Could it be the color wheel, not sure why this would cause no sound and if the TV detected a bad color wheel it should have indicated that with flashing lights as indicated in the manual.
Could it be part of the safety circuit?

I'd really appreciate any advice or tips anyone could give me.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DLP Twon't turn on, blinking green lamp light then shuts dow
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DLP Twon't turn on, blinking green lamp light then shuts dow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DLP Twon't turn on, blinking green lamp light then shuts do
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 16, 2010 1:00 PM PDT

Newfieace,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue.

It may be that your unit requires service. However, before that, you might try re-seating the lamp. To do this, with the TV unplugged, open the lamp door, unscrew or unhook the lamp, slide it out, and then firmly push the lamp housing back in. In some cases, this fixes the symptom.

If that doesn't work, I'd recommend calling 800-SAMSUNG to have your unit inspected and serviced.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Replaced lamp still no picture or sound
by Newfieace / July 9, 2010 10:05 AM PDT

Tried reseating the lamp as you sugguested but that didn't work. I called a service tech who said it is almost surely my lamp and he would come out and replace it for $300. Pretty steep so I ordered a new Osram Lamp myself for $90 and installed it. unfortunately that didn't change anything.unit does the same thing. My unit is a PT50DL14X.I did notice that when the unit shuts down you can hear the color wheel just befoer it fully stops rotating. i.e no sound as it starts up and rotates at full speed but a low squeaking sound just before it stops rotating. Based on this I might suspect it to be the color wheen however based on some other posts the start-up sequence does a check on the color wheel before it fires up the lamp. Since my lamp comes on then I would not suspect it to be the color wheel. However the start-up sequence posted only goes up to when the lamp fires up. What is the next few steps in the startup sequence that gets the picture to actually project onto the screen. There must be more start-up steps because my TV has the color wheel running and the lamp full on but no picture and a dark screen.
Thanks for any assistance anyone can offer.
Fred

Collapse -
DLP won't turn on, blinking green lamp light then shuts down
by car5o / October 17, 2010 12:55 AM PDT

Fred did you get this problem fixed? My 50" DLP just started doing the same.

Roy

Collapse -
FIXED?
by raguusauce / December 5, 2010 12:56 AM PST

Fred, curious too if you had it fixed. Lamp works, ballast works, even replaced the power supply board, but it just doesnt' seem like it wants to project the image. There is no sound, so it seems like it's just missing one step. Very frustrating.

Collapse -
Any Update
by Briankendall199 / July 11, 2011 4:40 AM PDT

Did you get your tv fixed? I am dealing with the same problem.

Collapse -
Read the notes above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2011 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Any Update

Did you call it in and get it inspected?

Collapse -
Update
by Briankendall199 / July 12, 2011 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Read the notes above.

Called Samsung and they gave me the number of a local repair shop. They cant tell mejust by my description of the problem what the solution could be or even if they have had any other customers with the same problem. of course they want me to lug the thing down for a $65 service fee or $100 in home.

Collapse -
Sounds about right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2011 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Update

Here the service calls are over 100 (120?) so yours is a little lower.

As you suspected this isn't a TV repair discussion forum but folk do share if it's something well known and common.

I take it you tried that first idea and it's not some old bulb.
Bob

Collapse -
Update
by Briankendall199 / July 12, 2011 8:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds about right.

Yes, changed bulb with a Samsung brand and ballast, no change to TV operation

Collapse -
Ballast?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2011 9:47 AM PDT

I didn't think that was user serviceable? I could be wrong.

Did the tech that did that work tell you what else could be wrong?

Collapse -
Update
by Briankendall199 / July 13, 2011 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Ballast?

No he didnt. So now we are stuck. Has anyone else foudn a solution or an idea what could be the problem?

Collapse -
Ideas. Off the top of my head.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2011 5:08 AM PDT

1. Or off with my head.

2. Use the web to see if there is some TV repair forum that notes it.

3. Get a Samsung Tech to give a quote.

4. Follow the old shop rule when you can't figure out what part next. (what rule?)
"Replace the cheapest part first."

Bob

Collapse -
Whoops! How many discussions did you post in?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2011 9:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
a couple of very easy things to be sure to check
by larkstung / August 20, 2011 7:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds about right.

If you are testing it before putting the back on the set, be sure to tape down the blue sensor switch located behind where the lamp cover door is on the back panel...the TV won't start up if the switch is in the middle or up position.
The ribbon wire coming out of the color wheel slides down into position easily (no connections), but make sure that the bare wire side is facing the contacts. It took me a while to figure that out.
Other than that, this was much easier than I thought.

Collapse -
Thanks man...sorted
by gonza1979 / September 4, 2014 4:49 AM PDT

thanks man,,,tv sorted,,,what a stupid little thing...:)

Collapse -
Fixed?
by bmw74 / November 8, 2011 10:58 AM PST

@Newfieace (or anyone else having this problem),

Were you able to fix this issue? I am having the exact same problem, the lamp was replaced a few months ago and it does turn on, I also replaced the wheel 3 months ago because the old one was shot, the TV worked for a couple of months and suddenly stopped working. Exact same symptoms as described by Newfieace, so I am very curious on what I can try next.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Collapse -
ima try it
by Frost0124 / January 11, 2012 2:00 AM PST
In reply to: Fixed?

im gonna take apart and have a look at that.. ill keep yall posted

Collapse -
I have the same issue
by Frost0124 / January 3, 2012 3:54 PM PST

i have the same issue SP50L6HD, I replaced the colour wheel as it was whining, the Ballast clicks on power up showing its fine, the lamp lights up, i get a picture for about 3sec then goes to standby and it cycles the boot process. GGGRRR very frustrating!

Collapse -
Some how it worked! Fully operational
by Frost0124 / January 25, 2012 10:02 PM PST
In reply to: I have the same issue

ok so i accidently bought a new lamp from ebay £40.00 didnt think id win it at that price :). Put it in and it worked! so my other "NEW" Samsung Lamp must be a dud but looks perfect no burnt element, threads have no wear!, hmm,

Collapse -
ps
by Frost0124 / January 25, 2012 10:07 PM PST

its not a phillips or samsung make of lamp, i was in a rush to get it in i didn't take note :s silly i know but i guess i was more concerned what would happen to the tv if it didn't work! its made in china so 1 up for china!

Collapse -
your t.v
by MrsPeaches / March 14, 2012 3:12 AM PDT

Did u ever find out the problem? Mines is doing the same thing.

Collapse -
replaced lamp and color wheel recently
by rickp3 / April 19, 2012 7:03 AM PDT

This problem started a few days ago. I had both replaced in the last year.

I tried unplugging the unit for 5 minutes, then plugging it back in. It seems to work now.

Collapse -
Power board
by Davidq3 / July 1, 2012 1:25 AM PDT

Hey does anyone know where to get hold of a replacement power board?

Collapse -
(NT) Ebay, samsungparts.com amazon.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2012 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Power board
Collapse -
Replaced lamp and now TV shuts off after powering up
by ghlacina / January 6, 2014 12:41 AM PST
In reply to: Power board

Hi Davidq3,
Did you ever get this resolved? My TV is now doing the same thing. It is about 10 years old. I just replaced the lamp for the 2nd time, and now it will power up but then shut down.. After a few tries it will usually stay on, but obviously something is going.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.