Samsung forum

General discussion

DLP TV turns on and off... over and over and over...

by fixableglitch / September 1, 2009 11:22 AM PDT

I have a Samsung HL56A650C. It is one year and four months old, and it is turning on and off continuously. I had to unplug it to make it stop. It turns on and off approximately every five seconds -- not even long enough to get a signal from my cable box. I thought it might be the lamp, but I replaced it and the tv still does the same thing. Has anyone found out what is causing this problem??

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DLP TV turns on and off... over and over and over...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DLP TV turns on and off... over and over and over...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 1, 2009 2:02 PM PDT

fixableglitch,

What I might suggest is registering your television online. This may give you an additional 3 months of warranty. You can do that here:
http://www.samsung.com/us/mysamsung/product/myssMyProductRegist2.do

And then calling 800-SAMSUNG to see if you can get an extention for a repair. It's possible that you may be granted one, but I can't guarantee that. Otherwise, I'd suggest having a repair technician come and inspect your unit.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by fixableglitch / September 2, 2009 5:08 AM PDT

Thanks!
I followed your advice and called 800-SAMSUNG again. I spoke with a representative by the name of Kendra and she arranged for my local authorized Samsung repair center to call me -- which should happen within 48 hours. When I originally bought the tv, I did in fact register it online, and I vaguely recall something about an extra few months of warranty. So, it turns out that my tv is literally days out of its warranty period and the customer service rep said she could extend the warranty for a repair. I will post again when I know more about what the problem and solution turn out to be.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 2, 2009 10:28 AM PDT

fixableglitch,

Good news! Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Update
by fixableglitch / September 16, 2009 9:44 AM PDT

The technician came out with two circuit boards, each one loaded with all kinds of hardware. Each board was about eight inches square; although, one was a little larger than the other. Anyway, he knew exactly what the problem was before he even opened up the television. He showed me the capacitors on the old boards and they were sort of expanded-looking -- the tops had kind of split. That's the best I can really describe them. He said he has seen a number televisions (same model as mine) with this same problem. Anyway, he was in and out in about twenty to thirty minutes. It has been a week now, and the television is still working -- knock on wood.

Collapse -
Update
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 18, 2009 2:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Update

fixableglitch,

Interesting. I haven't seen this on many DLP units. Would you be willing to post your transaction number? 4001xxxxxx 2001xxxxxx or similar style number? I'd be interested in looking further into this.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Ticket Number
by fixableglitch / September 24, 2009 4:40 AM PDT

I have the original ticket number: 4005506888

I hope that is what you need. Do you think you could post any interesting info you find? It would be nice to have a clearer idea of what actually happened (as you can probably tell, I am a bit foggy on the details Happy ).

Collapse -
Ticket Number
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 27, 2009 2:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Ticket Number

fixableglitch,

Thanks. I'm going to follow up on this. I'm not sure I'll have an interesting response, but if I do, I'll post it here. I appreciate the follow up. Happy

--HDTech

Collapse -
price to fix
by timothy bryce / March 27, 2010 3:23 PM PDT

how much did it cost ?

Collapse -
Samsung power capacitor issue
by RickyW58 / February 12, 2013 10:56 PM PST

A class action lawsuit was awarded 4 Jan 2012 for those experiencing the capicitor issue on multiple Samsung tvs. You have until 4 July 2013 to claim. It is easy call Samsung Claims at 888-899-7602 with your model and serial number. Free repair. Mine was fixed in 2 days! Thanks for backing your product Samsung, even if it took a lawsuit!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.