Samsung forum

General discussion

DLP black screen with white dots

by jedolezal / September 20, 2009 8:40 AM PDT

We have a six year old Samsung DLP 56" television. Over the past several weeks, the television screen freezes in a black and white dotted image of the picture on the screen. Sometimes, we are unable to shut off the power and have to unplug it. Other times, we can shut the power off and the screen will be back to normal after we wait for a few minutes to turn it back on. Any ideas on what this may be?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DLP black screen with white dots
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DLP black screen with white dots
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same problem here with HLN567W
by baierschmidtja / October 10, 2009 4:34 AM PDT

A few months ago I had problems with the tv doing one of 2 things. Either it would turn itself off or freeze with the black and white screen. In the latter I would usually have to unplug the tv to turn it off, but sometimes I could turn it off using the remote. When the black and white screen occurs none of the OSDs work. If I tried to turn the tv back on sometimes there was a loud sound of something trying to spin (color wheel perhaps?) before the picture would finally come up.

Based on various other DLP issues I had read about online I did the following: With the tv off for a few hours so the lamp was cool, I opened the lamp compartment, taped down the safety button which prevents the tv from turning on while the compartment is open, pulled the lamp out, and carefully cleaned out all the dust, then re-inserted the lamp. I then powered the tv on with the compartment door off and the safety button taped so that I could make sure that the cooling fans were spinning, which they were. I left the safety button taped in case the random shutdowns were caused because that button wasn't staying pressed somehow (chassis warp due to lamp heat, room temp, etc.). This seemed to fix the problem for a while as I haven't had any problems in months. Hopefully this advice will help someone else.

Recently I've been getting the black and white screen frequently. I would like to note that so far I've only had the black and white screen problem when using the component inputs, specifically both 480p/720p/1080i component inputs. I have yet to see this problem on the DVI input and am curious if anyone else has had this happen when using the DVI input. It's possible that this is an issue specific to the board that handles analog signals.

I tried calling Samsung and since the tv is out of warranty, there's not much I can do but pay to have a service center look at the tv. I don't think I should have to do that seeing as this tv is only 6 years old and it seems that Samsung DLPs have had all sorts of electronics problems. So please, if you have this problem, call Samsung and report it. Also, please feel free to reference my call #, 2010468946, so that we can make Samsung aware that it's a bigger issue than they think it is. If anyone who has this problem calls and posts their call # as well, then each successive caller can reference these other calls thereby letting Samsung know this isn't some random failure, but a trend. Currently they say it's not a known issue. If this is a widespread problem then Samsung should be held accountable and we should not have to pay to have this fixed.

Good luck.

--John

Collapse -
Update...
by baierschmidtja / October 20, 2009 10:29 PM PDT

Although it seems to happen less frequently, I have now had this problem while using the DVI input. So it looks like this is a bigger problem than just the analog board.

Regarding my previous post, I should also mention that if you're going to pull the lamp out and clean the dust out of the tv, please make sure the lamp has had time to cool and unplug the television first as a precaution.

I'll concisely re-iterate the steps that an end-user can take to try and stop this from happening, or at least reduce the frequency of this problem. Chances are that eventually the tv will need to be fixed or replaced.

0) make sure the tv has not been on for a while so that the lamp has time to cool. 30 minutes is probably adequate.
1) unplug tv
2) remove lamp cover
3) remove rear exhaust cover (if your tv has one)
4) carefully and gently remove all visible dust and dirt, especially from the fans. (I used a vaccum with a brush attachment)
5) remove the lamp according to your tv's instructions. Do not touch the bulb itself. Only handle the housing.
6) clean out any more visible dust and dirt where the lamp was
7) re-insert the lamp
Cool tape the lamp cover safety switch so that it is always depressed.
9) plug the tv in
10) Turn the tv on BUT DO NOT LOOK AT THE LAMP. Just verify that the fans are spinning. If a fan is not working, you should look into replacing it as the first step.
11) If the fans are spinning, put the rear exhaust cover back on.
12) You can remove the tape from the lamp cover safety switch if you want, but I left it on since I think it was causing my tv to randomly shutdown. My tv has not shut itself down since taping the switch down. Put the lamp cover back on.
13) Make sure the rear exhaust is not obstructed. I personally try to keep the rear of my tv at least 1 ft away from the wall.

My tv is in use an average of 10 hours a day. Following these steps I was able to go for about 6 months without getting the black and white screen. YMMV.

Good luck.

--John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.