Samsung forum

General discussion

DLNA Streaming - Video Format not supported

by garaan / November 24, 2010 8:18 AM PST

I've setup a streaming media server using both Windows 7 in-built server and using a Buffalo Linkstation Live NAS. My Samsung B650 TV can see and access both servers. I've even managed to view a jpg photo. However when I try to view a video using either server I get the same 'format not supported' error message.

I've scoured the internet forums for some guidance on this and noted a few people were advised by Samsung to ensure the video codec, resolution and audio formats matched the ones listed in the compatibility table. I've tried this e.g.(MP4 (H264 and XVID), 1920x1080, AAC) and I still get the same error. I've checked my video file using MediaInfo which confirms the above. I'm happy to forward the MediaInfo details table if someone at Samsung would take a look.

Also, what confuses me further - if I copy the video onto a USB and plug that into the TV - it plays the video without any problem. Do I need some additional software to stream the video correctly or is there a bug of some sort with Samsung DLNA?

I would really appreciate some advice on this.
Many thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DLNA Streaming - Video Format not supported
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DLNA Streaming - Video Format not supported
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You learned something.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2010 8:36 AM PST

We can't explain it but DLNA supported encoding is a lot less codings than the USB stick. Some have a hard understanding that but that's the way it is. As DLNA is not from Samsung but a standards committee you have to deal with them and not Samsung.

This doesn't help much but now you know.

Collapse -
I need to learn more
by garaan / November 24, 2010 8:23 PM PST
In reply to: You learned something.

Thanks for response. What I don't understand however is having followed Samsung's specific advice on the exact format that is compatible, the TV still shows a format not recognised error. Do I have to encode video using very specific software? I'm currently using the latest version of DVDFAB. I've also tried Moyea but doesn't make any difference.
Appreciate any further advice that will get me watching video.

Collapse -
The advice is in a word, lacking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2010 12:32 AM PST
In reply to: I need to learn more

The encoding must be exact. And I find most folk really don't want to dive into the exact details. As there are so many models of said TV and the exact settings change from machine to machine my suggestion is to examine a working video file and then encode using those settings from that file.

Let me note the title I use to examine said information. "Gspot Codec Appliance."

I make no apologies for the encoding mess.

Collapse -
I admit defeat...
by garaan / November 25, 2010 5:58 AM PST

Thanks again Bob. It's highly likely I don't know what I'm talking about but I've decided to abandon using the native DLNA processing/transcoding/??? in my TV and opted for Mezzmo (on trial) to look after my streaming. Only downside is I have to leave my PC on - don't I? Or (Mr Stupid Optimism enters) is there another way to use my Buffalo Linkstation and stream successfully without the laser-guided accuracy you've eluded to?
Thanks again - though I expect you would have given me the good news already!

Collapse -
There are others.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2010 7:02 AM PST
In reply to: I admit defeat...

Twonky, Servio, and so on. Try looking into a few and be aware that each have active forums about settings for various TVs.

Transcoding is a little annoying since finding exactly which settings work takes a bit of work. My best thought is to examine what works and encode files like the one that works.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.