Samsung

General discussion

DLNA on Samsung Blu-ray BD-C5500 and BD-C6500

by rickinco / March 16, 2010 3:18 AM PDT

Thought I would start a thread since these devices are pretty new at this point.

I have Linux box as a DLNA server running mediatomb. I have gotten mp3s to work flawlessly. I have gotten vob and mp4 files ( using the correct handbrake settings) to play but I cannot stop, ff, rw or pause. I can do all those things through the USB port. I wonder if that means my DLNA server needs some adjustment.

How about others? What have you gotten to work? What are you using? If I get the time I will run PC share and try to do some packet dumps and see it there is something I need to add to my XML config. That would assume that things will work when I use PC share.

I am running Fedora with the mediatomb rpm.

Here is my mediatomb config.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<config version="1" xmlns="http://mediatomb.cc/config/1" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://mediatomb.cc/config/1 http://mediatomb.cc/config/1.xsd">
<server>
<interface>eth1</interface>
<ui enabled="yes">
<accounts enabled="no" session-timeout="30">
<account user="mediatomb" password="mediatomb"/>
</accounts>
</ui>
<name>MediaTomb</name>
<udn>uuid:29314699-5dae-42e5-b7e2-6e563354f51d</udn>
<home>/etc/mediatomb</home>
<webroot>/usr/share/mediatomb/web</webroot>
<storage>
<sqlite3 enabled="yes">
<database-file>mediatomb.db</database-file>
</sqlite3>
<mysql enabled="no">
<host>xxxxxxx</host>
<username>mediatomb</username>
<database>mediatomb</database>
</mysql>
</storage>
<protocolInfo extend="yes"/><!-- For PS3 support change to "yes" -->
<!--
Uncomment the lines below to get rid of jerky avi playback on the
DSM320 or to enable subtitles support on the DSM units
-->
<!--
<custom-http-headers>
<add header="X-User-Agent: redsonic"/>
</custom-http-headers>

<manufacturerURL>redsonic.com</manufacturerURL>
<modelNumber>105</modelNumber>
-->
<!-- Uncomment the line below if you have a Telegent TG100 -->
<!--
<upnp-string-limit>101</upnp-string-limit>
-->
<custom-http-headers>
<add header="transferMode.dlna.org: Streaming"/>
<add header="contentFeatures.dlna.org: DLNA.ORG_OP=01;DLNA.ORG_CI=0;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=017000 00000000000000000000000000"/>
</custom-http-headers>

</server>
<import hidden-files="no">
<scripting script-charset="UTF-8">
<common-script>/usr/share/mediatomb/js/common.js</common-script>
<playlist-script>/usr/share/mediatomb/js/playlists.js</playlist-script>
<virtual-layout type="builtin">
<import-script>/usr/share/mediatomb/js/import.js</import-script>
</virtual-layout>
</scripting>
<mappings>
<extension-mimetype ignore-unknown="no">
<map from="mp3" to="audio/mpeg"/>
<map from="ogg" to="application/ogg"/>
<map from="asf" to="video/x-ms-asf"/>
<map from="asx" to="video/x-ms-asf"/>
<map from="wma" to="audio/x-ms-wma"/>
<map from="wax" to="audio/x-ms-wax"/>
<map from="wmv" to="video/x-ms-wmv"/>
<map from="wvx" to="video/x-ms-wvx"/>
<map from="wm" to="video/x-ms-wm"/>
<map from="wmx" to="video/x-ms-wmx"/>
<map from="m3u" to="audio/x-mpegurl"/>
<map from="pls" to="audio/x-scpls"/>
<map from="flv" to="video/x-flv"/>
<map from="vob" to="video/mpeg"/>
<map from="avi" to="video/x-msvideo"/>
<map from="mkv" to="video/x-msvideo"/>
<map from="mp4" to="video/MP4V-ES"/>
<!-- Uncomment the line below for PS3 divx support -->
<!--<map from="avi" to="video/divx"/> -->
<!-- Uncomment the line below for D-Link DSM / ZyXEL DMA-1000 -->
<!-- <map from="avi" to="video/avi"/> -->
</extension-mimetype>
<mimetype-upnpclass>
<map from="audio/*" to="object.item.audioItem.musicTrack"/>
<map from="video/*" to="object.item.videoItem"/>
<map from="image/*" to="object.item.imageItem"/>
</mimetype-upnpclass>
<mimetype-contenttype>
<treat mimetype="audio/mpeg" as="mp3"/>
<treat mimetype="application/ogg" as="ogg"/>
<treat mimetype="audio/x-flac" as="flac"/>
<treat mimetype="image/jpeg" as="jpg"/>
<treat mimetype="audio/x-mpegurl" as="playlist"/>
<treat mimetype="audio/x-scpls" as="playlist"/>
<treat mimetype="audio/x-wav" as="pcm"/>
<treat mimetype="audio/L16" as="pcm"/>
<treat mimetype="video/x-msvideo" as="avi"/>
</mimetype-contenttype>
</mappings>
</import>
<transcoding enabled="no">
<mimetype-profile-mappings>
<transcode mimetype="video/x-flv" using="vlcmpeg"/>
<transcode mimetype="application/ogg" using="vlcmpeg"/>
<transcode mimetype="application/ogg" using="oggflac2raw"/>
<transcode mimetype="audio/x-flac" using="oggflac2raw"/>
</mimetype-profile-mappings>
<profiles>
<profile name="oggflac2raw" enabled="no" type="external">
<mimetype>audio/L16</mimetype>
<accept-url>no</accept-url>
<first-resource>yes</first-resource>
<accept-ogg-theora>no</accept-ogg-theora>
<agent command="ogg123" arguments="-d raw -f %out %in"/>
<buffer size="1048576" chunk-size="131072" fill-size="262144"/>
</profile>
<profile name="vlcmpeg" enabled="no" type="external">
<mimetype>video/mpeg</mimetype>
<accept-url>yes</accept-url>
<first-resource>yes</first-resource>
<accept-ogg-theora>yes</accept-ogg-theora>
<agent command="vlc" arguments="-I dummy %in --sout #transcode{venc=ffmpeg,vcodec=mp2v,vb=4096,fps=25,aenc=ffmpeg,acodec=mpga,ab=192,samplerate=44100,channels=2}:standard{access=file,mux=ps,dst=%out} vlc:quit"/>
<buffer size="14400000" chunk-size="512000" fill-size="120000"/>
</profile>
</profiles>
</transcoding>
</config>

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DLNA on Samsung Blu-ray BD-C5500 and BD-C6500
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DLNA on Samsung Blu-ray BD-C5500 and BD-C6500
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows 7 problems
by jpm150 / March 16, 2010 5:35 AM PDT

This is a duplicate from another thread. Thought I might get better answers here.
I just purchased a BD-C6500 and have it hardwired to my network. The manual said PC Share Manager would allow me to access shared media files on my computers, but when I used the interactive chat support to find out how to get a copy, I was told it will not work with Windows 7. How can that be?
I've tried enabling sharing on Windows Media Player and the 6500 can see my computers but is unable to find any media files.
Suggestions?

Collapse -
Samsung-PC Media Sharing
by quesnoy / August 16, 2010 11:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows 7 problems

I personally got fed up with the Samsung BD-C6500's proprietary software, PC Share Manager. It doesn't allow you to share an external hard drive. Only the local drive on the PC. All my media is on a networked external hard drive! Anyway, I assume you went into windows Media Player, Library, Media Sharing, and then made sure to click on "allow" for the Samsung Blu Ray player? If so, good luck trying to find a media sharing program that will work with the Samsung. Nero Home Media 4 might. I took my Samsung back and got the LG BD750 as it is not only DLNA certified, but also CIFS certified (standard windows file sharing). This means that you do not need a media sharing program on your computer. The LG will find any shared folders on your home network. Soooooooooo much easier than the Samsung approach. Check out the last section "Blu-Ray Player Setup" in the following link for more info:

http://lgknowledgebase.com/kb/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=6462

Collapse -
Fed up #2 with Samsung
by OhNoZo / October 2, 2010 1:28 PM PDT

I bought the Samsung BD-C6500 and installed PC Share manager and have had a lot of frustration. Tried watching an avi movie from my shared folder and had some issues with it disconnecting. FF/RW do not work. So I thought I'd buy the LG-BD570 and and see how they stack up side by side before returning one. Tonight we tried to watch another avi movie from my computer hard drive on the Samsung (PC share manager). Lost connection 3X while watching it. Than because FF did not respond we had to wait until it got back to where we were when it disconnected. I found that if you hit the forward arrow key (not FF) it would jump about 10 secs ahead, but it still took way too much time. It also did not connect to my shared folder like a simple network shared folder(even though your computer shows up under "choose device". The LG comes up just like a shared network and shows your shared folders. It did seem to take a few secs longer to access stuff, but was sure more reliable, and FF etc all worked. The media sharing from my computer was a big reason for me to purchase it. I have 2 Samsung LCD's and love them and thought this unit would be just as good but was very disappointed. Keeping the LG and returning Samsung tomorrow. Other thing I've noticed is that neither of them play flac files (will have to convert my collection to mp3),and sure would be nice to have a USB port on the back so you could leave external drive connected without a cable sticking out the front.

Collapse -
C5500 works well with Mezzmo
by qbaw / October 18, 2010 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Fed up #2 with Samsung

Hi there, thought I can share my experience with the Samsung player and DLNA streaming.

So far I've tried the following media servers on my Win7 PC:
-Samsung PC Share Manager 4.03
-Serviio 0.4.2
-TVersity 1.9.2
-Mezzmo 2.1.11.0

I gave up with Samsung soft very quickly as I wasn't able to share external folders. I tried Serviio then, and even play/pause worked fine I couldn't get external subtitles to work. The same was with TVersity software. Finally I tried Mezzmo and so far everything works fine. It has dedicated profile for Samsung BDP players and external subtitles works fine as well as pause/FF/REW functionality however I still need to do that with left/right buttons on the remote.

Collapse -
Mezzmo with C5500
by nikkomon / September 28, 2011 5:21 AM PDT

Tried PC Share, kept disconnecting, set up Mezzmo, movie played fine until 15 min from the end and disconnected.... sheesh. My question is could it be that the laptop serving the videos is connected wireless? The C5500 is connected to the wireless router by ethernet cable. And you noted ff and rew, so you must use left and right buttons... thanks.

Collapse -
c5500 media sharing solved in windows 7
by jaguarbuilt / November 2, 2010 11:27 PM PDT

Hey folks. I am running win 7 x 64 and I have had excellent results with simply setting up windows media sharing options to "allow other devices to connect..." it is under the sharing tab in the player. I watched a hi def mp4 from my desktop with no problems last night. I also found an easy solution to the whole network connection issue with these awesome players. If I am on the wrong thread, let me know. I can also give my network connection instructions if anyone needs them. it is rather simple, and I have been on with perfect, uninterrupted hi def results for a week or so...

Collapse -
media sharing windows
by gojkor / December 9, 2010 9:12 AM PST

I am interested to get network sharing with my PC windows 7 64 ultimate. But I would like to know also is it possible to get access ,from dvd menu, a sharing folder on PC and run files (video, picture, audio) without running some server program?
Thanks

Collapse -
without running some server program?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2010 9:21 AM PST
In reply to: media sharing windows

That would be quite a feat!

Collapse -
all I did
by jaguarbuilt / December 9, 2010 11:35 AM PST

Hi. I can have a photo slide show from my pictures folder on all my pc's, access my video folders and watch mp4, avi, and some other formats, and music folder from dvd menu just by opening windows media player and look for sharing options, select share with other devices, make sure sharing is turned on in networks. restart and that should do it. I don't have any special server program at all, just windows 7 x64 ultimate. Hope it works.

Collapse -
Try an LG
by fredn24 / December 10, 2010 12:47 AM PST

LG players, like the BD570, do this effortlessly. They do DLNA, but also SMB/CIFS/SAMBA so that any shared drive or partition from Windows, linux etc can be seen and used to play almost any media.

'Quite a feat' for Samsung, but it seems not for anyone else!

Collapse -
March 15th Firmware update
by rickinco / March 17, 2010 5:09 AM PDT

I updated the firmware last night ( March 16th ).

The AccuWeather app now works.

pause works for video, fast forward and rewind work but you do not see the video move as you ff/rw. But I now have enough functionality to watch a movie, being able to pause is always good Happy

I had an mp4 file I was testing with that worked before the upgrade albeit without pause,ff/rw. Audio does not work with DLNA or with USB mem plugged directly in. Here is the codecs I used:

Video: h264, yuv420p, 704x384, 90k tbr, 90k tbn, 180k tbc
Audio: aac, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16

Looks like they broke aac audio with the firmware upgrade.

Vob files have always played but I get the directors comment audio track and this was not fixed with the firmware upgrade.

Keep the fixed coming Samsung.

I am going to also give Serviio a whirl as a DNLA server.

Collapse -
DLNA
by jw650 / March 17, 2010 9:15 AM PDT

When I did the research for my Samsung TV, I don't think anyone had managed to get Mediatomb to pause video. Serviio works well - it has a custom profile for Wiselink.

Collapse -
mkv will play with .mp4 extension.
by rickinco / March 17, 2010 2:48 PM PDT
In reply to: DLNA

Thanks jw650, I will give Serviio a try next.

With my current setup, I am able to pause, ff/rw mp4.

I created an mkv using video codec mpeg4 and audo mp3, it would not play.... until I gave the file a .mp4 extension, now it plays. I can pause this file but no ff/rw. I hope I get better success with Serviio.

Collapse -
Serviio does not work well out of the box
by rickinco / March 18, 2010 1:52 AM PDT

I installed Serviio ( put it in /usr/local ). Out of the box the only thing that worked were vob files. Clicking on individual vobs is no way to watch a movie. MP3 did not even come up!. I will see if there is some xml config I can do to get this working.

One think Serviio does that mediatomb does not is organize the movies by title, actor... etc. That would be nice if I can get this working!

Collapse -
Shared Network Files Won't Play
by chateau2361 / March 18, 2010 3:12 PM PDT

My Samsung BD-5500 has the latest firmware upgrade and is using a wired ethernet connection.

I have had problems getting files to play over the network. No problem with .mpg or .vob files but .mkv and .mp4 files won't play and cause the Samsung to display ' Invalid File Type ' or whatever.

The same .mkv files and I .mp4 (I think) will play fine using a USB stick in the front USB port of the Samsung. As a test I put one file that would not play on the network on a DVD and it played on the Blu-Ray drive.

I have used Twonky Media Server, TVersity Media Server and even the Samung PC Share software. All give the same results in so far as playng .mkv and .mp4 files.

Anybody else having these problems.

Collapse -
P Share Manager - Windows 7
by chateau2361 / March 18, 2010 3:25 PM PDT

Forgot to mention in my last post but PC Share Manager does work in Windows 7 Home Premium (my version).

I have also noticed that shared files cannot be seen at times by my BD-C5500. This has happened in Twonky, TVersity and PC Share Manager.

Seems to be only certain files and not all files. Haven't been able to pin down the exact ones as of yet but as I recall it was an .mkv and/or .mp4 file that refused to appear in the list.

Collapse -
Windows 7 question
by jpm150 / March 18, 2010 10:55 PM PDT

Are you using the 64-bit version of Win 7? Which version of PC Share Manager did you get to work? Thanks.

Collapse -
Windows 7 and PC Share Manager
by chateau2361 / March 19, 2010 12:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows 7 question

I am using Windows 7 3 Bit Version, Home Premium.

I originally had Version 1.5.2 of PC Share Manager that I found at the Samsung site under one of their networked TVs since Share Manager was not available under BD-C5500 Software at that time.

Today I checked again and they have a new version 4.03 available under BD-C5500 Software. The link is as follows

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/detail/supportPrdDetail.do?menu=SP01&prd_ia_cd=03020100&prd_mdl_cd=BD-C5500%2FXAA&prd_mdl_name=BD-C5500&prd_ia_sub_class_cd=P

I uninstalled version 1.5.2 and installed 4.03 and it appears to be working OK. Seems to find shared folders much better. I still can't play a .mkv file over the network.

Be sure once you install PC Share Manager you click on Share, Set Device Policy and Accept Your Player. Otherwise my BD-C5500 would not see PC Share Manager on the network.

I also notice that my BD-C5500 was seeing my Windows 7 box and username but did not find any files. After playing around under Network and Sharing Center and possibly Windows Media Player 11 the BD-C5500 sees and plays files that have been shared in the Public Folder (In my case). NO need for PC Share Manager if you do this.

What I did (as I recall) was open Network and Sharing Center and Click on Choose Homegroup Sharing Options.
Check the files you wish to share, Pictures, Music, Videos, etc.
Check 'Stream my pictures, music, and video to all my devices'.
Note: You may also need to click on 'Choose media streaming options'.
Then
Click on 'Change advanced sharing settings'.
Check 'Turn on network discovery'.
Check ' Turn OFF file and printer sharing '. (My preference since I only want to share files in the Public Folder,)
Check ' Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the Public folders'. (Again I only wanted to share Public Folders not my personal folders).

Media streaming should show as being on at this point.

I have the following checked as well.
Check 'Use 128 bit encryption'
Check 'Turn on password protected sharing (doesn't seem to affect media streaming).
Check ' Allow windows to manage homegroup connections'.

I had previously played around in Media Player 11 under the PLAY tab.

When things are right you can see shares on the network from there.

I can see my PC Share Manager, Twonky and TVersity shares from Media Player 11.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Windows 7 - PC Share Manger
by chateau2361 / March 19, 2010 12:55 AM PDT

Sorry, a typo on my last post.

I am using Windows 7 32 bit version, Home Premium.

I have a Windows 7 64 bit version, Home Premium that I will try PC Share Manager on when time permits.

Collapse -
Thanks -- can't wait to try it
by jpm150 / March 19, 2010 1:06 AM PDT

Thanks for the details and link -- Samsung support has been really unresponsive, only sending me a link that didn't work and then ignoring subsequent emails.

I'll try this tonight -- I haven't had any luck getting Windows Media Player to even seen the BD-C6500, but I'm really shaky when it comes to network settings. Your instructions will be a huge help.

Collapse -
Windows Media Player
by chateau2361 / March 19, 2010 1:47 AM PDT

I can't get Windows Media Player to actually see my BD-C5500.

What I have been saying is the opposite, my BD-C5500 can see my shares on my Windows 7 box when media streaming is set up in Network and Sharing Center as I previously detailed.

Under Media Player 11, 'Play' tab, there is an Icon in the upper right and a 'Play To' drop down, however I cannot a device of any kind to display. Doesn't seem to matter.

On my BD-C5500 remote there is a red ' A ' button that I push to ' Change Device '. That allows me to then select ' DVD, USB (if present}, and any shares that are on the network (Twonky, TVersity, PC Share Manager and shares on my Windows 7 box).

If you don't have any luck with PC Share Manager try TVersity (free version) on your Windows 7 box. It seems to work OK as well and is pretty easy to setup. Link http://tversity.com/download Be aware not all features are available in the free version but what you want (network shares) is.

Collapse -
Shared Network Files Won't Play
by dduan62 / December 10, 2010 1:23 PM PST

I have the same issues. Has yours fixed?

Collapse -
Serviio, I take it back
by rickinco / March 19, 2010 7:14 AM PDT

I wish I could delete my previous post, Serviio is awesome. I was not giving it enough time to build it's database. MP3s are working out of the box. The logs on this thing are verbose so you really can track what is going during troubleshooting.

One problem I do have, it uses ffmpeg to identify the true file type and serves it up using that information. Since I need to lie to samsung dlna and put the mp4 extension on my mkv files to get them to play, this does not work for me. I will post back with a workaround if I find it.

I also like mediatombs browser which allows you to browse not only the files on the filesystem but also those in the database. You can use the browser to edit the properties presented by the server database and "spoof" any mime type you like. Great for testing.

I will stick with mediatomb for now but I will be looking to switch to Serviio.

Collapse -
Serviio, I take it back
by chateau2361 / March 19, 2010 7:56 AM PDT

You said you could play MKV files by changing the extension to MP4.

I am unable to get any MKV or MP4 files to play over my network. The same file will play on a USB stick or a DVD at the Samsung BD-C5500.

Not sure what I am doing wrong. Probably not my network since MPG and VOB files play over the network.

Collapse -
Can't Play MP4 or MKV Files Over Network
by chateau2361 / March 19, 2010 8:18 AM PDT

Mystery is solved for the most part.

I downloaded Servioo Media Server and now the files that would not play over the network using Twonky, TVersity, PC Share Manager or Windows Share play using Servioo. Go figure.

I still have a couple that I can now see but fail to play with the ' Wrong File Format ' error or whatever.

Progress.

Collapse -
Samsung Codec support
by rickinco / March 19, 2010 8:49 AM PDT

It is a little bit of a moving target at this point. I used to be able to play mp4s with the aac audio codec over dlna or usb. After the recent firmware upgrade from Samsung I get an error about unsupported audio codec and only the video plays. It says in their manual they support aac for mp4 so I am sure they will fix that in their next release.

Are you able to play mkv files with serviio? What audio and video codec did you use to create them?

Collapse -
MP4 and MKV files
by chateau2361 / March 19, 2010 10:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung Codec support

Losing track of what I have tried. MKV files don't seem to play over the network with anything but will play on a DVD or USB stick at my BD-C5500.

MP4 files will play over the network using Serviio but (in my case) not with Twonky, TVersity, PC Share Manager or Window 7 Streaming. This indicates obviously that Serviio is handling things differently but who know what that is.

I am using 'Handbrake' to encode the video. It has a nice 'preview' feature which lets you test a particular video, audio encode to see if it works.

Run Handbrake and select your ' Source ' to encode.

Select ' Normal Profile '.
This sets the following and does appear to make a MP4 Video (with M4V extension) that plays over the network. Have had no luck with MKV files using Handbrake.

Picture is 'Strict'
Video Filters 'All Off'
Video ' H264' and Frame Rate ' Same as source'
Audio Source 'Automatic' Codec ' AAC(faac)', Mixdown ' Dolby PLII', Samplerate '48', Bitrate '160' and DRC '0.0'
Subtitles, Chapters and Advanced were left as is for my tests.

Click on ' Preview ' at top of Handbrake and select a number to start your Preview at and Duration for ' 60 Seconds '.
I choose to Play with 'VLC' (you may have to install VLC Media Player on your Windows box). There is an option to play with 'QT' but my Quick Time is jerky for some reason.

Handbrake will generate a 60 seconds video using your codec settings and this can be used to test Serviio for playback without wasting a lot of time.

Collapse -
MP4 and MKV files
by chateau2361 / March 20, 2010 6:00 AM PDT
In reply to: MP4 and MKV files

Update to my previous post on using Handbrake to encode videos and Serviio as my media server.

I am now able to play MKV files over the network using Serviio.

The Serviio Console 0.3.1 Status Tab has a dropdown selection for the Rendering Profile. Select Samsung Wiselink Pro. You would think I would have thought of that earlier. Oh Well.

Using Handbrake to encode a video as an MKV file I set the following in Handbrake;

Select Your Source and Destination for input and output files and select the following options;

Container is 'MKV File'

Picture Tab 'Anamorphoc is Strict, Croping Automatic is checked'

Video Filters Tab, top to bottom 'Default,Default,Off,Off' and Deblock slider set full left. Grayscale Encoding is unchecked.
Video Tab 'H.264(x264),Framerate 'Same as source',Target Size is unchecked,Avg Bitrate is unchecked, Constant Quality is checked and set to to.78% RF:20'

Audio Tab 'Source is Automatic, Audio Codec is AC3 Passthru, Mixdown is Automatic, Samplerate is Auto, Bitrate is Auto, DRC is 0'

Subtitles and Chapter Tabs were ignored.

Advanced Tab 'Reference Frames 2, Mixed References is checked, Motion Est. Method is Default(Hexagon), Subpixel Motion Est. is 6, No Fast-P-Skit is unchecked, No DCT Decimate is unchecked, Deblocking is Default and Default, B-Frames is 2, Adaptive B-Frames is Default(fast), Direct Prediction is Default(Spatial), Weighted B-Frames is unchecked, Pyramidal B Frames is unchecked, Analysis is Default, 8x8 DCT is checked, CABAC Entropy Coding is checked, Trellis is Default(1), Psychovisual Rate Distortion slider is to the far right, and Psychovisual Trelis slider is t the far left'.

Not having any luck with Handbrake and Serviio playing MP4 files at this time. Work in progress.

Collapse -
Got the servers working, sort of
by jpm150 / March 20, 2010 7:10 AM PDT
In reply to: MP4 and MKV files

Chateau,

Thanks for the pointers. I'm able to access both Windows Media Player and PC Share Manager now from the 6500. Or at least for a bit. When I play video or music files (WMV and MP3 formats), the network drops after a few minutes. I'm using a wired connection, not the wireless. Also my picture folders show up, but both say there's no content.

Any ideas on the dropping connection? When it drops, the only device that shows is the player. Then both PC Share and Win Media Player are available again. Streaming over the internet (Netflix, Pandora) works just fine.

Collapse -
Got the Server working.
by chateau2361 / March 20, 2010 8:14 AM PDT

I have noticed that whenever Serviio, PC Share Manager, etc. updates the database for any reason (manual or automatic) that my BD-C5500 loses connection to that particular server. For instance if Serviio and PC Share Manager are both running both show up as available. If the Serviio server's database updates I will loose connection to it but PC Share Manager is still available.

Are you saying you loose everything but DVD at the same time or is it a particular server and not the other?

Assuming you are running the server(s) on a Windows 7 box, does the Windows box go into screen saver mode when this happens, does it go to sleep?, etc. Think about what is going on with Windows. A power blip could probably cause this. Just a guess.

Are the Samsung player and your Windows box both plugged directly into your router or do you have Cat5 cable runs back to a central location. Not sure why I am asking but if so is your wiring OK?

What about your router? If it is rebooting or hickups for any reason, I would suspect the Samsung would loose connection to the server. Netflix may be more tolerant than a connection to PC Share Manager or Windows Media Steaming. Not sure, just offering this for thought. Do you have a spare router you could use as a test?

If the Samsung and your Windows box are near each other you could try plugging both of them into a 5 Port or 8 Port switch. The switch would of course have to connect to your router as well. What this would do is basically remove the router from the connection. As I understand things, once a router has established a connection between two devices on your network it basically does nothing most of the time. The switch is doing all the work. Might not prove or fix anything but worth a try.

The only thing that comes to mind on your pictures is the extension, .jpg, .bmp, etc. Try opening one up in Microsoft Paint and then save it as a different file type for a test to see if it can be seen.

Also as I posted earlier on my Serviio experience, it makes a huge difference on what Rendering Profile you select for your player. Windows Media Streaming doesn't give any options as I recall and not sure about PC Share Manager. You may want to try Serviio since it is free and seems to work OK.

Also FYI I decided to un-install PC Share Manager from my Windows 7 Home Premium box. It would not un-install and kept looking for a non-existent file. I finally did a 'regedit' and removed all references to Samsung PC Share Manager and the deleted the folder in Program Files. Not recommended, but this is how I got rid of it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.