Samsung

General discussion

DLNA movies not playing full screen on TV

by nigelwillson / September 28, 2009 8:05 AM PDT

I have a Series 7 LED TV (UE46B7020) when I try and play movies that play full screen on my laptop - on the TV over DLNA they play in a small window on the TV when I use 'fit' they are bigger but still not full screen - the video is definitely high def and should be filling the screen Sad

any ideas ?

thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DLNA movies not playing full screen on TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DLNA movies not playing full screen on TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Screen fit
by jw650 / September 28, 2009 8:06 PM PDT

"Fit" will preserve the original aspect ratio, so you'll still get bars either on the sides or above and below if the ratio doesn't match the screen (16:9).

Collapse -
DLNA movie borders
by nigelwillson / September 28, 2009 8:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Screen fit

thanks - the original ratio is the same as a DVD - which is why I dont understand why it has borders all alround it

The movie played is just the VOB from the DVD played over DLNA - so it should occupy the same screen size I would have thought

is there anything that can be done to alter this or is it a limitation of DLNA / Samsung TV ?

thanks

Collapse -
DLNA movie borders
by dekinio / September 28, 2009 10:32 PM PDT
In reply to: DLNA movie borders

I have the same problem...

Collapse -
DLNA movie borders
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 29, 2009 4:47 AM PDT

It may be that while the video is HD, th codecs that are being used aren't 1080p. While the television tuner will take a 480 display and enlarge it to show on the entire screen, the DLNA will show the resolution as it is, which can create this result.

The only other thing that could cause black borders would be an encoding issue where it was encoded in 16:9, and shown in 4:3. From what I read, it didn't sound like this was something either of you might have done, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Any chances to fix it?
by sgjp / October 7, 2009 2:03 PM PDT

Seriously...
i am stuck here in Singapore which probably a few decades behind with firmware updates on the LED TV, so please advise: is there already will there be a firmware update which allows to scale/stretch content from the USB stick/DLNA server to fullscreen?
Keeping the aspect ratio is a nice option. But so would be "FULLSCREEN". After all I love my 46" real estate...

Collapse -
Full screen
by jw650 / October 8, 2009 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Any chances to fix it?

There's an unofficial update for the LExxB650 which proves the fix is simple. If you complain to Samsung, along with enough others, they MIGHT listen, especially if you decribe it as a fault, rather than a lack of features Wink

Collapse -
LEXXB650 DNLA Screensize and Codecs
by zoon01 / January 7, 2010 10:26 PM PST
In reply to: Full screen

It's in my opinion not acceptable that all DVD source movie's are not full screen.

I own the LE40B650T2P.

SAMSUNG has to change this in the firmware, i don't want to hack the Firmware to enable things that has to be work as default.

For other source than upnp we have also more screen size options but not for DNLA.

Also it's bad that the codecs onboard does support all important ones, .VOB support is there but NO .IFO support????????

This meens for me, NO subtitle with DVD source and no option to select audio stream.

SAMSUNG please, please fix this for us.

The hardware can do this all, the lancard is in the LCD, please give us the most used codecs.

Thank you,

Regards
Michael from the Netherlands.

Collapse -
can you tell why is this file playing proper Aspect Ratio?
by rp.cnet / August 9, 2010 1:23 PM PDT

this VOB file is not playing to full screen on my TV, even when:

DVDPatcher shows:

bit rate: 7500000 bits/sec
frame rate 29.97 frames/sec
size: 720x480 pixel(2)
aspect ratio: 16:9

why is this still showing small on the samsung tv?

Collapse -
Aspect ratio
by jw650 / August 9, 2010 8:20 PM PDT

720x480 is a 3:2 aspect ratio, so will not fill a 16:9 screen. The point of this thread is that the TV doesn't act on the embedded AR information.

Collapse -
AR thru streaming
by rp.cnet / August 10, 2010 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Aspect ratio

but the same DVD fills the entire screen (16:9) when played thru a locally attached DVD player. how?

Collapse -
AR
by jw650 / August 10, 2010 3:59 PM PDT
In reply to: AR thru streaming

There are more scaling options for HDMI and other directly-connected sources. Those options are not available in Media Play.

Collapse -
File may be anamorphic
by jw650 / October 3, 2009 9:13 AM PDT

There are a number of threads on this, where the source material is 16:9 but the pixel ratio is not - e.g. DVB-T 720x576 is 5:4. Samsung has not allowed for this on streaming, although it is very common, at least in Europe.

Collapse -
samsung dlna full screen fix ?
by nigelwillson / October 7, 2009 5:53 PM PDT
In reply to: File may be anamorphic

after many hours of fidling with this to try and get it to work - my suggestion is ditch dlna it just doesnt do a good job Sad buy a PC and connect it via HDMI and play through the PC using Media Centre or similar - total control of the screen size, no waiting for buffering and no annoying dlna Wink

Collapse -
any ideas?
by pauloamore / October 10, 2009 6:29 AM PDT

Well, all my MPEG4's have that problem (even when preserving the DVD's resolution).

Divx, AVI, and XVID seem to be fine.

What format are you ripping too?

Collapse -
another thought........
by pauloamore / October 10, 2009 6:40 AM PDT

If you are ripping MP4, Samsung Tech has posted this link....

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/samsung_hd_tech/DLNA7000.jpg

Many many times, yet, when I rip MP4, I haven't changed the resolution to 1920 x 1080.... I use Nero BTW...

Bet it's that. The Samsung doesn't scale it up, unlike their DVD players.....

I'll try later and report back.

Collapse -
Yup...
by pauloamore / October 11, 2009 1:47 AM PDT

I'm now ripping MPEG4 to 1920 x 1080 resolution and it fills the whole screen.

The joke of it is, that when ripping, you effectively have to upscale the DVD resolution to match that required by the TV. And that takes much longer on my PC!

But, until a firmware update fixes zooming for smaller resolutions, thats what I'll be doing using Nero.

Collapse -
dvd-rip does not play full screen thru DLNA Twonky Media Ser
by rp.cnet / August 8, 2010 12:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Yup...

i am ripping my DVD collectin to HDD using DVDfab. not sure what codes it is using but on my Win 7 PC powerdvd plays it fine - FULL SCREEN.

But,
when i stream using TwonkeyMedia Server to samsung 55" led B7100 TV, it does not play full scree??? original size is very small and fit produces only a slightly bigger image which does not fill the screen.

can anyone help?
thx.

Collapse -
We had a recent discussion and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2010 3:21 AM PDT

A member from Twonky pitched in and it was a Twonky bug.

Did you ask on the Twonky forums?

Collapse -
how to rip to mpeg4 using nero?
by rp.cnet / August 8, 2010 12:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Yup...

can you advice plz.?

Collapse -
Upscale issues
by mvtalbot / January 25, 2010 6:56 PM PST

I have the exact problem and was advised by a Samsung tech that the software engineers are aware of the issue and that in the mean time we are to convert the files to MPEG 4 format at 1080 resolution. I have tried a few but the picture quality is poor and takes a long time. So for now we have an old poratble DVD player under the screen that the TV upscales fine. Roll on the firmware update.... I have also run the Windows 7 media player and it works great after spending hours and hours on tversity etc

Collapse -
by zoon01 / January 27, 2010 7:20 AM PST
In reply to: Upscale issues

The Samsung tech/software engineers are aware of the issue for a long time now.

I don't understand why they didn't have it fixr already.

Samsung DLNA TV are there over a year by now, non does have the VIDEO_TS.ifo and VIDEO_TS.BUP codec support.

Not full screen and no subtitle support when you play a DVD-rip to VIDEO_TS. Thats a bad thing.

When do they learn.

Collapse -
by DaBuzzzzz / February 2, 2010 9:18 PM PST

Samsung tech, -like allways- you guys are talking bullocks. THAT is the big mishap from the samsung DLNA implementation. Thers already a few websites that have shwon that these aspect ratios are indeed possible when using dlna video by modding firmware. It is THE missing feature next to FFW FFBW and skip.

All well within the dlna properties and all well within the TV's possibilities, but Samsung insists of ignoring or ridiculing this feature request.

I promise you 10% uplift of revenu worldwide on TV sales within 6 months when you apply the DLNA feature in such matter that is usable as a media streamer!

Now get to work and make Samsung buyers happy!

Collapse -
Works on other Samsung TV's
by Johno-1942 / October 30, 2010 5:52 PM PDT

I have 2 x samsung TV's both purchased this year.

One is a Series 6 LCD LA37B650 which has the same issues. It has been updated to the latest firmware offered by Samsung.

The other is a newer 45" LED TV patched to the current software.

The LED works as expected and scales material encoded for 720p correctly. The 37" does not.

Both are being served the same file from a Twonkey Media embedded server in a fileserver.

It is therefore a fault with the firmware which is causing this problem, NOT a problem with the files themselves.

Samsung need to fix this as it is a problem that they have addressed in their newer TV's but not the "older" ones.

Collapse -
Just checking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2010 2:20 AM PDT

Did you get an incident number? Reporting it at 1-800-SAMSUNG?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.