Networking & Wireless

General discussion

DLINK DIR-655 Continually disconnecting

by IrishMarine / October 13, 2009 10:30 AM PDT

Here are my settings/hardware:

I am using a DLINK DIR-655 Router, hardware version A3, firmware 1.21
--Macbook Pro, OSX 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard)
--Wireless G only
--Router settings: Auto Channel scan enabled, Transmission Rate set to Best, Advanced Settings (Fragmentation, Beacon Period, etc), all remain at default values.

Description of the problem: I have been using the DLINK DIR-655 router with no problems for approximately 1 year. Suddenly, I began experiencing continuous disconnection issues is various areas of my home. My router is no more than 1-2 feet from my primary workspace (which is my desk).

I have tried changing the settings from Auto Scan enabled to setting to a specific channel, but it has not resolved the problem. I also disabled the Short GI setting -- that did not solve the problem either.

I purchased a spectral analyzer, and found neighboring networks on channels 1 and 11, while the auto channel scan generally positions me on channel 7. There were also high-amplitude, steady signals being broadcast at frequencies 2426 and 2452.

I also purchased a Mac Time Machine wireless router to try. I could work at my workspace with the Time Machine wirelessly (while I can't with the DLINK), but I lost wireless capabilities in other parts of my home.

I get the disconnection error messages in the router log.

I have disconnected my cordless phone, and the problems persist.

Questions:
--What are the optimal advanced settings for overcoming these problems?
--Is this an interference problem or hardware problem? If its an interference problem, why does the Apple Time Machine work in some areas, while the DLINK does not, and vice-versa?

Thanks for the help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DLINK DIR-655 Continually disconnecting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DLINK DIR-655 Continually disconnecting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In the Networking forum are
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2009 10:23 PM PDT

A few posts about preferred settings. There is a reason why we don't use the default settings. We never have to tinker with Fragmentation, Beacon Period, etc, but must broadcast the SSID or suffer drops.

If we stay with WEP or less we run the risk of others swatting our connection down. WPA2 may suffer from being too new.

There is a reason why the networking forum advice is the way it is.

If you follow that advice and at 2 feet it disconnects then there is broken hardware. Swap what you can out.
Bob

Collapse -
possible cure
by chips4brains / November 20, 2009 9:23 AM PST

I had a very simular problem. I found that the time server for the dlink router was not updating the time causing the router to disconect all the time. So set the time to your computers time and disable the time server.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.