Samsung forum

General discussion

Distorted picture on LCD TV LN32C450E1D

by leporteo / April 16, 2010 2:48 AM PDT

I recently bought an LCD TV and had the cable set up. From the very beginning, the picture has been "off" on just about every channel. On some channels it is stretched so that it cuts off the last 15-20% of the picture on the right hand side. On other ones, the picture is simply shifted over so that approximately the same amount of the picture is cut off.

We have had multiple calls and two in-home consultations with (Time Warner) cable technicians, as well as multiple calls with the Samsung customer support line, and no one has been able to help. Samsung says that if using the "P-size" button on the TV remote does not work then we should check our settings, cable connection, etc. and when the cable technicians go through to check everything and make adjustments (ultimately unsuccessfully) say that they either think it is a problem with the TV or that they don't know what the problem is and that I should call the Geek Squad (which would cost $300!).

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Distorted picture on LCD TV LN32C450E1D
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Distorted picture on LCD TV LN32C450E1D
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 16, 2010 4:41 AM PDT

With the mess that the changes from Standard Definition to High Def and all the resulting image sizes you find few are happy and fewer will consult or talk about it in great detail.

Hopefully some Dr. HD Phil will make a nice web page about it.
Bob

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 16, 2010 8:57 AM PDT

leporteo,

You can reduce the variable by using a digital connection like HDMI. That way, the picture is sent exactly bit-for-bit from the source to the TV.

I'd recommend putting your cable box in 16x9 output mode, and then adjusting the picture size using the P.Size button on the remote.

Not all channels will fill out. Are you using an HD box with HD cable service?

--HDTech

Collapse -
by bri67ran / May 24, 2010 1:26 AM PDT

I am having this exact same problem too on my father-in-laws house with the same TV an HDMI cable and a HD cable box (Scientific Atlanta).

I am well versed in setting up TV's and cable boxes, and am positive that I have both units set to 16:9 aspect ratio but the problem persists. I have tried multiple output resolutions from the cable box including auto select, forced 1080i, forced 720p. I have tried changing the picture size setting on the TV as well (16:9, Wide fit, Screen fit). I also switched out to another HD-DVR box that was working perfectly on another Samsung HDTV downstairs. Nothing has fixed the problem

The TV picture might start OK on HD NBC/CBS/FOX, but then will distort itself when changed to a different station - and then never can correct itself after that. Whenever the channel resolution changes, the TV just can't seem to make it back to the 16:9 resolution. Eventually even going back to NBC/CBS/FOX results in the image being pushed to the right and things cropped off.

The in-laws might call in Geek Squad, but I doubt they'll get any further than I did. I think either the TV is a defective one, or the firmware just can't manage the various resolutions properly. I can't find any firmware upgrades either.

Collapse -
Distorted Picture on LCD TV LN32C450E1D
by Johnny9073 / June 14, 2010 1:39 AM PDT

All that you suggested to leporteo didn't work for me either. While I agree not all channels will fill out; you should still expect to see picture framing (all four sides black with the whole TV show still viewable when viewing non-HD digital shows and either full screen HD when viewing HD shows or black bars on the sides or top, depending on the aspect ratio.

The important issue is that you are able to view the entire image, not whether the image fills the entire screen. That's the problem, you can't view the entire image. The viewing area is actually cut-off.

Plus the TV should be able to automatically switch between HD and non-HD channels without having to use P. Size button on the remote. Hopefully, you set this once, not for every channel you watch. How incredibly time-consuming and annoying would that be, resizing every TV show when you change channels. It's a channel surfer's nightmare.

Collapse -
Distorted Picture on LCD TV LN32C450E1D
by Johnny9073 / June 14, 2010 11:19 PM PDT

If you are experiencing TV shows that cut-off after changing a few channels, I may have a solution for those of you with Samsung LN32C450EID 32" LCD TV hooked up to HDMI cable and a HD cable box Time Warner/(Scientific Atlanta). Try setting (forcing) the cable box output resolution to 480i (pretty sure it was i not p, not in front of TV right now) and 1080i only. Make sure NO other resolution settings are present and save your settings. Also make sure cable box and tv are set to 16:9 aspect ratio. That worked for me. Guess we won't be taking the tv back! Regards.

Collapse -
Awesome
by tubostic / March 7, 2012 6:46 AM PST

Sweet.. I ve been having the same issue as well ever since i switched to TWC, I had changed 2 cable boxes, and i was about to even close my HD subscription since there was really no point paying for what i can't watch, but when i tried ur idea... it worked like a champ.. Thanx buddy...

Collapse -
Distorted Picture on LCD LN32C450E1D
by MRIQUE1 / October 8, 2010 3:43 AM PDT

Hi,
This is the first I`ve heard of it, I didn`t know that this is an unproper TV model. Isn`t it?
Could you tell me, please, what about LN32C450E?
Does it has the same problem?
Thanks a lot

Collapse -
Distorted Picture on Samsung LCD TV LN32C450E1D
by Johnny9073 / June 14, 2010 12:45 AM PDT

Yes, my son just bought this TV and also has Time Warner cable; no luck on fixing the problem. It is exactly as leporteo describes here "From the very beginning, the picture has been "off" on just about every channel. On some channels it is stretched so that it cuts off the last 15-20% of the picture on the right hand side. On other ones, the picture is simply shifted over so that approximately the same amount of the picture is cut off."

I'm hoping my son can return the TV to the store. We are very frustrated, since no one can resolve this problem.

Collapse -
Fixed problem - returned TV
by bri67ran / June 15, 2010 2:16 AM PDT

Well, we decided to fix the problem by simply returning the TV. Instead we purchased a TV that is full HD 1080p (1920 x 1080).

This TV works perfectly and frames (good description Johnny) the content properly within the display. I have the HD box forced to output at 1080i for all shows and this keeps everything tight.

Sorry Samsung, but I feel this TV firmware is junk.

Collapse -
Fixed
by tvnewsguy / June 30, 2010 6:14 AM PDT

De-selected 720p and the prob went away.

Collapse -
i dont thinck its the tv's
by krayzyman / September 11, 2010 12:48 PM PDT

i have a cust with time warner cable and a 58 samsung plasma 550 -same problem its cutting off to the right somtimes and stretching north and south way too much -went there with a second tv same thing-while i cant say for sure yet it seem like it a ware issue -i really want to blame time warner- according to the geeks ever since t.w. updated the menu some tvs and there box are not meshing together the way they should -they told me to select 1080i only in the output or the sure fire way is to hookup component cable instead of the hdmi cable -but i can see the consumer fustration because of the hdmi hype-and new tvs should not have this issue-even though 1080i is the most time warner can output for tv and component cable r also 1080i -its nice to have just 1 hdmi cable do everything and the piece of mind knowing u have the best connection possible. we had a new state of the art lg brand have the same issue -so i have a hard time believing its the tv's-i remember years ago they had a problem because there boxes could not handle hdmi even though there was a spot for it they told u to hook it up with comp for now until they get new boxes-here we r yrs later with more hdmi issues-i am going to talk to time warner and see what the hell is going on this is crazy and frustrating-just for the record i have not seen any of these problems on dish -direct-or fios ever-and i deliver alot of tv's 5 days a week for the past 8yrs!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.