Computer Newbies forum

Display too wide on desktop and internet screens

by allenpat99 / August 8, 2012 12:08 AM PDT

Yesterday, my husband accidentally did something to the computer that made the page too large for the screen. I have tried making it smaller, moving it, but it only makes one side disappear a little. He said he thought he right-clicked something. I have been all through everything I can think of and still no luck getting it back to normal.

Is there anyone out there who can help??

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Display too wide on desktop and internet screens
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Display too wide on desktop and internet screens
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
If you have an LCD screen, you need to check
by Steven Haninger / August 8, 2012 5:33 AM PDT

the screen resolution settings and compare those with the native resolution of your monitor. If you don't know the monitor's native resolution, maybe you could supply the brand and model and someone could look that up. Also mention your operating system...XP Windows 7, etc. The "right-clicked something" was what messed things up and the fix would be to undo what was changed.

Collapse -
Need more help
by allenpat99 / August 9, 2012 12:41 AM PDT

We are running windows 7 and it is an e machine monitor. I have tried resetting the resolution but that does not appear to be the problem. It appears that everything expanded over the right and left sides of the monitor. Also the toolbars on internet explorer are over on the right and left sides also. I would change back if I knew what he right clicked. I have tried just about everything but am unable to figure it out. Is there anything else that would cause this?? Thanks for the help. Pat

Collapse -
Reset video
by Willy / August 8, 2012 1:38 PM PDT

Right click on your desktop display area, that's unused. A small po-up will appear, find the resolution or video manage control panel icon. Click on one or the other and reset your resolution to what is proper. You can play with it and should offer if its OK, to accept, do so, if not return to setting again and re-apply something else until your happy. Apply and exit out to accept the new setting. That was a s/w setting do play with vs. real h/w setting that you can actually fiddle with on your monitor which seems to be the case, as you say, " I have tried making it smaller, moving it, but it only makes one side disappear a little". If you did, return to what was before and correct what I suggested above.

tada -------Willy Happy

Collapse -
Need more help
by allenpat99 / August 9, 2012 12:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Reset video

We are using Windows 7 and have a e machines monitor. Re-setting the display is not the problem. I have tried that and it is still too far out on both right and left sides. This is on the desktop and internet explorer. Any other suggestions?? Thanks. Pat

Collapse -
Monitor vs video setting or both
by Willy / August 9, 2012 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Need more help

Depending your monitor, enter the monitor's physical setting OSD(on-screen diags), just enter it. Review the manual if need be. Once it pops-up its OSD, find the "auto-setting" button and hit it. It will auto-adjust to the best defaults of that monitor. Once done, leave it alone. (dealing with the monitor itself)

Now, compare the display on your PC, if it corrected, leave it alone. Otherwise, using my previous post instruction find a resolution that makes it alright. This allows the video port/card to become the best match to your monitor. You may need to play with it as there are various resolutions and setting. It should give an example of how it's applied or just does it, select or refuse. Try another if need be.

The actual last resort, would be using a "restore point" to a date prior to mishap. use that date and allow to return when everything was OK. However, this also returns to that time period as it was. This could undo any changes, or updates, etc., but you correct your problem. It won't effect data though. Google for restore point feature for Win7 usage.

Make sure you're not dealing with "font size or content display" variation. Since, you mention left and right sides vary, I assume its a resolution/setting issue.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Screen oversize
by pgc3 / August 9, 2012 1:01 AM PDT

And you have tried using control key and tapping + - key???? That's the first thing to try.

Collapse -
by allenpat99 / August 10, 2012 1:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Screen oversize

I have tried all of the above suggestions. Adjusting the resolution is not the problem. My problem is that the top and bottom tool bars run over the right and left side of the screen. I have tried to move them in but don't seem able to accomplish that. Also, on the desktop, the shortcuts run over the left side. If I move the resolution, then the toolbar at the bottom is really over the right side.

There must be something simple that I can do to fix this. I just haven't been able to do it.

I also tried tapping the +_ keys in the toolbars but that didn't work either. Sorry to be so helpless. Pat

Collapse -
by Willy / August 10, 2012 3:11 AM PDT
In reply to: STILL NEED HELP!

Unplug your monitor and place it on another PC, a friend's or spare PC. How does the display appear there. If it's improper or similar to the problems you have, then the monitor itself is faulty or mis-adjusted. Following the same instructions in prior posts and it works well in the test PC, then some setting is amiss or the video source is wonky. I can't find anything that will cause your issue unless monitor based as in h/w. Whether it is the monitor or video card that's a fault is still needs to be found. Since, you've stated you've done all posted, it appears as coming from h/w. The fault appears at the time of your husband's use may not be related to some improper right-click action, but bad luck at least it appears so. Thus, the action to test the monitor elsewhere.

Details, they matter. I have no clue in the monitor being used, OS, video card or source and PC based on.

tada ------Willy

Collapse -
by pgc3 / August 10, 2012 6:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Details

Right on Willy, monitor test should tell a tale..

Collapse -
by catherineguidry / April 17, 2013 1:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Monitor

I have searched SO many forums...and I had to share becuase I figured out what it was (at least in my case). It was NOT a resolution issue.

I simply held Command and alt down at the same time and pressed the minus key! And BOOM. Fixed!

Collapse -
So helpful!!
by cda12345678 / March 2, 2014 6:41 PM PST
In reply to: Screen oversize

I have been trying to fix this on my own forever, no one had any help for me and I have no patience or time for this stuff- thanks so much! I'll still figure it out for a permanent fix eventually, but this is such a frustration fix! Wink All this time, just 3 buttons right at the tip of my fingers lol.. almost so obvious I guess... I freak at this stuff.

Collapse -
Desktop page fitting the screen
by ENCHANTEDMERMAID / October 3, 2014 9:33 AM PDT
In reply to: So helpful!!

I had this also. Not sure if it is the same. I finally went to the top of the page where the tab is. I left clicked and the whole page can be move and shifted to where you like it. Hope this makes sense. You have to keep trying, just to get that right area that will allow you to position the page where you want it, and it will stay there.

Collapse -
Display too big for screen on my laptop
by janbou / September 25, 2012 6:10 AM PDT

Hi, just seen this post and have had the same problem on my FB page for weeks, driving me nuts! Finally managed to reduce it to fit by holding Function key down and pressing - [minus] key a few times...give it a try if you haven't already fixed it!

Collapse -
it is a simple answer!!!!
by tlgunder / July 11, 2013 3:26 AM PDT

So i had this problem as well! It has nothing to do with the computer or desktop settings! its the monitor, there should be some buttons on your monitor that adjust the screen, on my hp there is a button with a (-) and a (+) and an (ok) button, i simply pressed the (ok) and all was well!

Collapse -
Reset monitor
by sabadi4 / January 18, 2014 3:51 AM PST

I had this happen when I was watching a streaming video. When I was done the video, the desktop was too big for the screen. I couldn't get solve the issue with adjusting text size or display resolution. I have been using an Sanyo HD LCDTV as a monitor and by resetting the TV in the menu options, the issue was resolved.

Collapse -
by parodis2005 / June 25, 2015 11:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Reset monitor

After messing with my computer, seemingly for.e.ver, it was the monitor. We use a vizio TV for our monitor, it's hooked up to a laptop. I finally opened the laptop, realized the screen was just fine on it, so I went to Menu on the TV/monitor, and voila! It had been changed to "stretch" by my sweet little 6 year old.
Whew. Now to get back to work.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.