Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

display screen looks stretched

by 7sorok / April 1, 2011 5:40 AM PDT

after win xp pro sp3 was reinstalled

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: display screen looks stretched
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: display screen looks stretched
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2011 5:43 AM PDT

After XP install we have 10 or more drivers to find and install. The bad news is that after 25 years (Windows 1.0 arrived 1985!) Microsoft has yet to supply an easy way to get those drivers found and installed.

Let's hope you took notes about this the last time you installed.
Bob

Collapse -
To add to Bob . . .
by Coryphaeus / April 1, 2011 6:53 AM PDT

Have you looked at the video properties? Have you set the display to the native resolution of the screen? In properties, if the resolution needed is not available, back to Bob's reply. You need to install the proper display drivers.

Collapse -
how do i do all that was suggested?
by 7sorok / April 18, 2011 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: To add to Bob . . .

i need help. if you don't mind to help me and advise where can i get those drives, i will reinstall them. i can follow directions, but that's about it. thanks a lot.

i have dell9100 xp pro sp3 ie8 with syncmaster2233 monitor

Collapse -
Now we're cooking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2011 3:33 AM PDT

With that dell, you follow Dell's install notes for this OS. It's at dell.com
Go there, head to the service area and put in your SERVICE TAG so you find all the documents for your machine.

Now follow Dell's install notes. If that fails, it's possible the machine needs repairs.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks, Bob
by 7sorok / April 18, 2011 5:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Now we're cooking.

i'll be back with the update on this matter.

i also just got a problem with the outlook 2007 "enter network password" notification. i have tried to disconnect it to no avail.. do you know any ways to get rid of this nuisance?

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2011 5:19 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks, Bob

While I have cured it with calls to the email server's support center I can't tell if this is that old issue or the email server went down.
Bob

Collapse -
my original comp. configuration had radeon
by 7sorok / April 18, 2011 9:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry no.

256 x600mrmga+ card. now i have radeon x300/x550/x1050 series card. where do i get drives for the one i have now? what a mess. dell shows 13 drives for my comp. - dell 9100 xp, but none of them match. what do i do? i'm rambling because i feel i lost control of the situation - when i took computer to the repair shop, they installed win xp pro and resource cd that came with the computer does not recognize currently installed version of win.

Collapse -
thanks Bob
by 7sorok / April 18, 2011 10:34 AM PDT

i have fixed the problem with the stretched screen by finally installing original video driver. what a difference! it only took my about 6-7 hours. newbie is a newbie! my hat off to your knowledge. thanks again

Collapse -
Me too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2011 10:39 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks Bob

One of the lessons I learned about video card drivers was a long time ago. A more recent refresher course was a "newer" (?) fx5500. One lazy weekend I downloaded every version of Nvidia UNIFIED DRIVER I could find and not one worked. The only driver that worked was on the CD that came with said card. Even Linux didn't work right with this card.

Truly an oddball card I replaced it with something slightly newer and drivers worked across many versions. I can only guess where the card went as I gifted it out on freecycle.com.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.