MacBooks

Question

Disk repair

by LolaAngell33 / October 2, 2012 4:22 AM PDT

I have run Disk Utility three times today and each time it takes over 30 minutes and shows a whole list of about 41 repairs. Most are in the "PreferencePanes/Display. It finishes with "Permissions repair complete." What is going on? (I just tried again and although I didn't let it finish, it said it would take 33 minutes.)

Thanks, Old Granny Lola

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Disk repair
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Disk repair
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Let's step back a moment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 2, 2012 4:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Disk repair

Forget this for a moment and what issue has you running this disk utility?
Bob

Collapse -
Issue???
by LolaAngell33 / October 2, 2012 6:17 AM PDT

The issue today was that I had a large question mark in my dock where one of my genealogy files had resided. I pulled it out and replaced it with an alias of the file, but I have always ran DU periodically just to keep things "tidy." Is there a problem with doing this? This is the first time I've had this problem.

Old Granny Lola

Collapse -
I'd tackle the ? mark issue head on.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 2, 2012 6:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Issue???

And then supply the DU results to see what folk have to offer.

If you recall the past, these disk checks can repeat the same fixes over and over and while I disagree with the author about that, it's not a sure sign there is an issue.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1452 does write something interesting. You may have to tell it to repair it and just accept its defaults.
Bob

Collapse -
tackle the "?"
by LolaAngell33 / October 2, 2012 12:38 PM PDT

How would you suggest I do this? The question mark is no longer there. I dragged it out and it disappeared in a little puff of smoke. It was not a question mark that I could click on, it was fairly faint. I will try Disk Utility again to see if it still acts up and if so, I may restart. As for supplying the results, I'm not sure I can. I think I tried to copy and paste before. Will try again. Thanks,

Old Granny Lola

Collapse -
Here's the latest results
by LolaAngell33 / October 2, 2012 12:49 PM PDT
In reply to: tackle the "?"

from Disk Utility.............. Old Granny Lola

Repairing permissions for "Macintosh HD"
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane"; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane"
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Displays.menu"; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Displays.menu"
Permissions differ on "System/Library/MonitorPanels/Arrange.monitorPanel"; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/MonitorPanels/Arrange.monitorPanel"
Permissions differ on "System/Library/MonitorPanels/Display.monitorPanel"; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/MonitorPanels/Display.monitorPanel"
Permissions differ on "System/Library/MonitorPanels/Profile.monitorPanel"; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/MonitorPanels/Profile.monitorPanel"
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/hr.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are -rw-r--r-- .
Repaired "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/hr.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/sk.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are -rw-r--r-- .
Repaired "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/sk.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/pl.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are -rw-r--r-- .
Repaired "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/pl.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/pt_PT.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are -rw-r--r-- .
Repaired "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/pt_PT.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/zh_TW.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are -rw-r--r-- .
Repaired "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/zh_TW.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/zh_CN.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are -rw-r--r-- .
Repaired "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/zh_CN.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/pt.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are -rw-r--r-- .
Repaired "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/pt.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/sv.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are -rw-r--r-- .
Repaired "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/sv.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/ru.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are -rw-r--r-- .
Repaired "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/ru.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/no.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are -rw-r--r-- .
Repaired "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/no.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/ko.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are -rw-r--r-- .
Repaired "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/ko.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/fi.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are -rw-r--r-- .
Repaired "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/fi.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/da.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are -rw-r--r-- .
Repaired "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/da.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/Dutch.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are -rw-r--r-- .
Repaired "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/Dutch.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/Italian.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are -rw-r--r-- .
Repaired "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/Italian.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/French.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are -rw-r--r-- .
Repaired "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/French.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/German.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are -rw-r--r-- .
Repaired "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/German.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/Japanese.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are -rw-r--r-- .
Repaired "System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/Japanese.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib"
Permissions repair complete

Collapse -
That Question Mark
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 2, 2012 9:37 PM PDT
In reply to: tackle the "?"

was an indication to you that the link between the original file and the icon in the dock, had been broken.
right clicking on the Question Mark would give the option to find the file for your self, thus restoring the link.

As for those Permissions. Nothing to worry about there.

P

Collapse -
Whew....
by LolaAngell33 / October 2, 2012 11:35 PM PDT
In reply to: That Question Mark

Thanks, Peter and Bob, ........ don't know what I'd do without you guys. Now, we can take off on our little camping trip and I won't be worried about some nasty gremlins carousing around in my MacBook innards.

Old Granny Lola

Collapse -
I like camping,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 3, 2012 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Whew....

I find the excitement is intentse!

(yeah, I know)

P

Collapse -
I guess I don't understand
by LolaAngell33 / October 3, 2012 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: I like camping,

the "intense excitement."

It's going to be cold at night and possibly chilly during the day. We're headed to the burbs of Minneapolis, MN. To visit with our son and his wife and to ogle the pretty fall leaves along the way.

Old Granny Lola

Collapse -
(NT) Camping.....In Tents (intense)
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 3, 2012 9:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
Well, Duh, Lola
by LolaAngell33 / October 3, 2012 11:45 PM PDT

No more tents for me, thank you very much..... at age 79, sleeping on the ground is not appealing. I'll take our little Star Craft with a furnace and bathroom. This is a trip to see a "kid," and the thought of staying in a bed bug infested motel does not get me excited either.

Thanks, P

Old Granny Lola

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.