How To forum

Question

DISK ERROR

by ROPAANCA / February 20, 2013 12:24 PM PST

How do you reload windows 8 on an HP Pavilion G series after a disk error and a loss of everything and no recovery could be made! My computor tech swiped it clean saying a virus had caused it now I get a smrt disk error and can not get past it when attempting to reload windows eight! CAN IT BE DONE!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DISK ERROR
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DISK ERROR
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If you're getting SMART errs, disk is failing
by wpgwpg / February 20, 2013 12:48 PM PST
In reply to: DISK ERROR

The SMART data error indicates a failing hard drive, so I'm afraid you're going to have to replace that drive. This is but one of the many reasons you need to back your system up. Live and learn. Sorry.

Collapse -
Answer
Look into...
by Willy / February 20, 2013 11:27 PM PST
In reply to: DISK ERROR

Don't ask PC tech again for repairs. As a "smart error" is usually refers to h/w fault with the HD, he should have offered that as real source of problem not some virus. Provided you have any warranty, use it to replace the HD under its service plan. Otherwise, it looks like you need to replace the HD. Of course, you can test the HD provided if you know who made it and thus get the diags from that maker's support website. Those diags will test the HD and provide the means to be assured the HD is bad and take required action. While I'm not sure what HD you have installed, if this is a SSD type, then requires yet again a replacement. However that shouldn't necessary offer a smart error, that refers to std. older type HDs.

Reloading the OS, exactly error# is displayed? If it offers to reformat the HD, did you accept that step, etc., or allow the full format rather than a quick format? Also, did you follow any of the HP help guides for re-installing the OS? Newer PCs maybe more prone to glitches if steps aren't followed. Otherwise, the above advise is probable action to take.

Is this your PC?:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF06a/321957-321957-3329744-64354-64354-5048672.html?dnr=1

http://www8.hp.com/ca/en/home.html <<<<<---FAQ for such

Follow the support FAQ or guides to get through this. Also, HP has its own forum, query there. There is a more direct HP forum here on CNET, post there also. The CNET HP monitor may provide a direct helpful link.

Parting advise, the HD can be removed and tested elsewhere. I use ext. USB case -OR- adapter to test drives on bench PC. This way, I note what is the cause and/or if accessible.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.