Speakeasy

General discussion

Discussion in another thread

by Roger NC / November 18, 2012 8:45 AM PST

reminded me of the trend this year for several chains to open Black Friday sales at midnight Thursday night.

Given this isn't particularly relevant to the other discussion, I decided not to ask in that thread.

I understand the competition for customers, and the stores wouldn't do it if they don't expect the business. There have been internet rumors, probably only that, of some groups trying to set up employee boycotts Thursday night.

I can pretty well guess opinions from different directions as far as the employees having to work.

I'm interest in the opinions about the opening at midnight itself, the hardship or not on employees, not the right or need for the employees to work. I have to wonder about the safety issues too, people up all night and the next day driving on possibly the worse city traffic morning of the year. That applies to workers working all night and customers.

The buying public drives such decisions of course, so some might attribute some responsibility to society itself. I remember the films last year of in a few places people getting knocked down and trampled when the doors opened for the sales.

I don't think it's just the savings, there becomes a mind set in some that ends up feeding into a mob mentality. Why we do things in a mob that the individuals would never do is a huge question, but it happens.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Discussion in another thread
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Discussion in another thread
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'll be sawing logs then so won't even notice
by Steven Haninger / November 18, 2012 8:56 AM PST

Let people do what they want to do and accept the consequences of their actions. This means customers and merchants alike. Until something seriously wrong actually happens enough times, the madness will continue.

I remember a story many years ago about complaints of accidents and near accidents at some intersection with people wanting the city to put up 4-way stop signs. The reason given for not doing so was that not enough death or injury had yet been reported. Once the quota was met, the signs were erected.

Collapse -
The public should
by James Denison / November 18, 2012 9:02 AM PST

boycott the stores on Thursday. Paying employees to keep open empty stores would more than work to stop the stores from doing it in the future.

Collapse -
Well it would
by Roger NC / November 18, 2012 9:33 AM PST
In reply to: The public should

but do you think those that live for the black Friday "deals" will let anything deter their thrill?

Collapse -
probably not
by James Denison / November 18, 2012 11:59 AM PST
In reply to: Well it would

Maybe some local laws could be passed, similar to the "blue laws" which forced stores other than a few approved convenience type to be closed on Sundays. I see no reason local laws can't be instituted to restrict stores that are open on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, and possibly other days.

Collapse -
I'm a bit surprised
by Roger NC / November 18, 2012 12:31 PM PST
In reply to: probably not

you advocating government restriction of business hours.

Do blue laws exist anymore? It was long after most areas but even around here now the only restrictions on sales I know of is for alcohol. I think the alcohol ban is still on till noon on Sundar rather than 7 am like other days. In fact, if you're within so many feet of a church, meeting hall, etc, you can't sell during any regular scheduled worship service. Or it use to be that way.

Collapse -
In rural counties in South
by James Denison / November 18, 2012 1:16 PM PST
In reply to: I'm a bit surprised

probably a number of such laws still around.

Collapse -
I believe that "blue laws" were drawn up to
by Steven Haninger / November 18, 2012 5:57 PM PST

protect employees and not to prevent Sunday purchases. The laws meant employers could not require workers to miss their services or perform labor that was against their faiths. Where I live, we had Jewish owned businesses that were closed on Saturdays but opened on Sundays. I don't recall anyone complaining about being greatly inconvenienced.

Collapse -
Here in Maryland
by James Denison / November 18, 2012 7:13 PM PST

At least the county I live in, you can't even buy a beer or wine in a regular food store, all alcoholic beverages for home consumption can only be purchased from a liquor store.

Collapse -
We'd see ABC stores when traveling through the south
by Steven Haninger / November 18, 2012 7:45 PM PST
In reply to: Here in Maryland

that would have large red dots like these We'd joke that polka dots is what you see after consuming their products.

Collapse -
that's very country
by James Denison / November 18, 2012 8:52 PM PST

Won't see those in the cities down South, or rarely. Of course if you live out in the country, you would know someone to get a better deal.

Collapse -
Don't remember seeing those before
by Roger NC / November 18, 2012 10:01 PM PST

Here in NC, the blue laws other than alcohol I think are pretty much gone, even in the most rural area.

Beer and wine sold almost everywhere, ABC store is distilled liquors only. There is a county not far from here that is still "dry". That has came to refer normally only to the sale of distilled beverages, but I think unitl quit recently the county had no alcohol sales. You could possess and use of course, if your legal age anyway, but no one sold it.

The first crossroad store out of the county on every road sold beer and wine. The first town on all NC and US roads had an ABC store.

And the county did have news of still running, seemingly more than others.

Collapse -
I have never
by Glenda. / November 18, 2012 9:38 AM PST

been to a Black Friday sale, Mostly because I hate crowds. The stores do this because they get enough business to make it worth it. In fact in the last few yeras I have done most of my shopping online.

Collapse -
I very seldom do
by Roger NC / November 18, 2012 9:45 AM PST
In reply to: I have never

but one year several years ago my sister got a 42 in plasma for half what I bought it for in September.

Collapse -
Wasn't there an actual trampling death
by drpruner / November 18, 2012 11:26 AM PST

in a WalMart a couple of years ago? "Freedom of assembly" is one thing, but no one plans to die. Sad

Collapse -
Intersection: I believe it's considered
by drpruner / November 18, 2012 11:28 AM PST

prudent city management, in fact. Not a good thing overall of course, but prudent city management.

Collapse -
I don't know what the big deal is about
by Diana Forum moderator / November 26, 2012 9:24 AM PST

I understand that a lot of retailers use volunteers to work on Thanksgiving and had more than they needed.

I worked on Thanksgiving and even on Christmas - not when the kids were little and I was a single mother - but otherwise. I frequently worked at home when the boys were little after they went to bed.

Diana

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.