Computer Help forum

General discussion

Disc-tray stuck

by msnewbie / March 3, 2010 10:02 PM PST

On my Dell Dimension 3000 the D drive disc tray attempts to open but wont. I hear it attempting. This happens both with the manual push button and the on-screen eject option. I don't recall having a disc loaded, but not sure. Can I, or should I, try opening it up to look for a problem. This would be a first.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Disc-tray stuck
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Disc-tray stuck
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try the mechanical release.
by ahtoi / March 3, 2010 11:51 PM PST
In reply to: Disc-tray stuck

Look for a very tiny hole in front of the drive; use a paper clip poke through that hole, applied a little pressure and push. The tray should pop open.

Collapse -
Opening Stuck CD Drive
by MrNittyGritty / March 5, 2010 11:05 AM PST

Sometimes the CD drive doesn't open because the case is misaligned. Try pressing on the center portion of the drive when it is attempting to open!

Good luck

Collapse -
It worked!
by jroseks / October 5, 2011 2:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Opening Stuck CD Drive

After researching several help sites as well as my burner & computer web sites and trying numerous suggestions, a few pushes on the portion of the drive door opened it and it is now working fine. Wow!! what a simple solution if I had only known to try it. Thank you so much for this posting this suggestion.

Collapse -
with Additional Information
by sweiss / March 6, 2010 1:04 AM PST

Just wanted to add to ahtoi's suggestion, which has worked for me in this same situation: there might be a panel that covers the tray, and you won't see the tiny hole. If that's the case, just use your fingernail to pry open the panel, which most likely will pull out (not off), and you'll then see the hole. Once you push the straightened out paper clip into the hole, the tray should come out enough for you to pull it out the rest of the way.

I only had to do this once a few years ago and, so far, the tray still opens fine.

Collapse -
Problem fixed - thanks from ivorahig
by ivorahig / April 22, 2011 6:09 AM PDT

Thank you "ahtoi" the paper clip worked just fine. This problem has been "dogging" me for months and now thanks to you it's solved. There's a great big smile on my face because fixing a computer problem with a paper clip strikes me as amusing. ivorahig

Collapse -
stuck dvd tray
by Philcunni / April 23, 2011 12:36 AM PDT

Thank you for the information it worked fine for me also though was goin to have take it to a repairman
Phil

Collapse -
(NT) I have to use a paper clip every time! Any permanent fixes??
by owoww / September 22, 2013 12:15 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Sure, replace the drive.
by wpgwpg / September 22, 2013 12:52 PM PDT
Collapse -
Mis-alignment
by mwooge / March 5, 2010 11:37 AM PST

A bit of work, but try opening your computer and moving the drive around a bit. Loosen the screws if you have to, then retigh them. It sounds like a mis-alignment. (Dothe other suggestions first.)

Collapse -
Disc-tray stuck
by arizkid / March 6, 2010 7:19 AM PST

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 (older model) and the disc-tray sticks every once-in-awhile. Look at the face of your disc-tray; below the tray you should find a small pin hole. If you straighten out a paper clip (metal), you can insert it into this hole and using some pressure you can force the tray to open manually. This should not hurt your disc-tray or drive, I have done it many times. Hope this helps (no need to open your system, especially if you have never done it)

Arizkid

Collapse -
I got it OPEN, but....
by msnewbie / March 6, 2010 10:12 PM PST

Thanks to all who are helping. I opened with the paper clip but the problem remains. It will shut automatically if I push the manual CLOSE button. That's the only way. It won't react to the nudge method. And of course it still won't open without a paperclip. Aargh!

Collapse -
Two ways.
by Kees Bakker / March 6, 2010 10:22 PM PST
In reply to: I got it OPEN, but....

1. Keep using what works to open and close.
2. Replace the drive by a new one.

Kees

Collapse -
Disc tray stuck
by carignon / March 7, 2010 4:44 AM PST

Look at the front of the disk drawer and find a small hole 2" from the left edge of the drawer and a quarter inch below it. Insert a stiff, straight piece of wire into the hole about 1" or until you feel a resistance. Push a bit further and the drawer will open. Have you left a disk on the drawer not seated properly?

Collapse -
NEW SUGGESTIONS FOR STUCK DISC TRAY
by mkrock / March 9, 2010 5:45 AM PST

I have a HP Vista and the help section gives several ideas of what to do. Here are 4 suggestions. You have done #4 with the paperclip, but try doing this version with the paperclip, where you shut down your pc and unplug it first. Best of luck.

My disc tray will not open

#1 Open the disc tray using Computer
Click to open Computer.

Right-click the disc drive, and then click Eject.

#2 Open the disc tray using a software program
Many disc-burning and -playing programs include options for ejecting a disc. Try these steps in the following software programs to open the disc tray:

#2A Windows Media Player
Open Windows Media Player.

In the navigation pane, right-click the disc you want to eject, and then click Eject.

#2B Roxio Creator
Open Roxio Creator.

Click the Eject button ( ) in the lower-left corner of the Roxio Creator window.

#3 Open the disc tray upon startup
Restarting the computer and pressing the Eject button on the computer often opens the disc tray. Use these steps:

Save all work and close any open programs before restarting.

Print this Help topic.

Click the Windows Start button (), click the arrow next to the Lock button (), and then click Restart.

When the computer restarts, press the Eject button on the front of the computer when the first screen appears (before Windows Vista launches).

Note
If the drive door opens upon startup but does not open in Computer, a software program may be taking control of the CD driver. Try shutting down or configuring any software programs that create discs or monitor the CD or DVD drive.

#4 Open the disc tray with a paper clip
Close all programs and shut down the computer.

Unplug the power cord from the power outlet.

Look for the small hole on the faceplate of the CD or DVD drive. This is the manual release.

The location of the manual release hole varies.

Note
On some models it may be necessary to remove the front panel to expose the manual release hole. Check the documentation that came with your computer for information about removing the front panel.

Note
On some models the release hole and the drive activity light (LED) look similar and are about the same size. Do not force the paper clip into the hole if it does not go in. Make sure that the hole is not the LED.

Straighten the paper clip, and insert it into the manual release hole until resistance is felt.

Once the resistance is felt, keep pushing the paper clip until the drawer opens a little.

Remove the paper clip, and gently pull out the drawer until the disc is accessible.

Remove the disc and turn on the computer.

Collapse -
Hot Dang, it's working
by msnewbie / March 9, 2010 7:10 AM PST

Used Step #3 above and kept opening and closing during reboot and it seems to be working fine now. If this is the final solution I am very happy and will stop shopping a new drive. Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!

Collapse -
If that comes back, I've often found that
by Steven Haninger / March 9, 2010 8:52 AM PST
In reply to: Hot Dang, it's working

CD ROM devices are sensitive to how they are installed in the case. Anything that puts a twisting force on them such as when screws are tightened. I'd find that a stubborn tray would work fine if I loosened screws or moved the drive forward 1mm. I've seen the cases besel interfere with opening as well. Cases aren't always perfectly constructed and we force things to fit. CD ROM drives don't like this.

Collapse -
Will remember that
by msnewbie / March 9, 2010 10:44 AM PST

I'll sure try adjusting if it returns. Thanx.

Collapse -
YEEHAW... GLAD YOU GOT IT WORKING!
by mkrock / March 10, 2010 3:20 PM PST
In reply to: Hot Dang, it's working

I was just checking in to see if you had gotten my reply, and I'm like YEEHAW, he got it working!

The only computers I have any knowledge with are HP's, and they come with a help Icon on the desktop... by clicking on the help Icon, one can find every possible solution to pc problems, or questions on the operating system, etc.

My preference for pc's is HP because of the excellent experience I have had with them, and also because of the help Icon. I can watch a video on any subject about pc's, watch tutorials and learn how to do something, or get help from the built in help section, and I can do all of this because it's built into HP computers. Because I only know about HP computers, I don't know if other brands incorporate this info into their computers or not... I am assuming that many don't, or otherwise people wouldn't be asking for help.

Since #3 worked for you, thank HP... it was their instructions that worked to help you with your stuck disc tray. So happy I could help by sending you the info. Think HP... LOL

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.