Download.com Site Feedback forum

General discussion

disaster

by howjef / August 6, 2009 10:58 AM PDT

This was a disaster.
After doing several of the updates with computer restarts between each, it continue to say that the same ones needed updating.
Wasted hours with what it said was necessary updates.
office took forever and then some.
Turned out it was not a needed update but a trial version of a new version(for which they wanted money).
The installation removed my bought and paid for 2003 version.
Uninstalling of the "update" removed any and all parts of the original program as well. Required original disk , etc and complete reinstall. The reinstall with original disk said it was missing a needed component. I chose ignore and continue, but have no idea how this will effect function.
I have totally removed, I hope, tech tracker software.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: disaster
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: disaster
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We can help!
by CNET_TechTracker / August 7, 2009 8:16 AM PDT
In reply to: disaster

Hello,

I'm very sorry to hear about this. We can definitely help.

Regarding your issue where the TechTracker app still says your software needs to be updated: It sounds like the information from your most recent scan is not showing up on your home page. Other symptoms of this would be a wrong "last scanned" date, and a difference between your results on the website and your results within the TechTracker App's menus. We do have a solution, and we are working diligently to make sure you will not have to see this again. (Note that this is definitely NOT a common experience with our service!) I know you have written that you removed the software, but I will still make sure our Beta team reaches out with instructions to correct this behavior.

I also want to apologize for the experience you had with Microsoft Office 2003. We have been listening, and we are building a new way to handle these listings that will raise the visibility of "updates" versus "upgrades," so that you do not end up accidentally overwriting a licensed version with a trial. Currently, this information is available if you click on the title of the program within your Installed Software list.

Should you have further concerns, I invite you to submit a Feedback Report with our support team directly. A link to our feedback form is located right on the TechTracker home page.
("Help CNET improve TechTracker. Send us feedback >")

Best of luck! We appreciate your time, your feedback, and your participation in our Beta.

Collapse -
Please Please Please help
by howjef / October 4, 2009 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: We can help!

I understand that you are busy, but, i have had no help since my original post and several emails sent since the problem started 2 months ago. Things have gotten worse with everything i try to do to correct.

Please help.

The "update" of office 2003 to 2007 has totally wiped out 2003. Now 2007 "trial" is totally non functional and cannot be removed thru add and remove programs.
I did find a set of instructions from kees, but it was very very long and very complicated and was geared to someone with far more knowledge in the ??directory changes.

I no longer have any access to any of my documents.
Since the problem originated due to tech tracker, I would appreciate your help.

I did try system restore. which said it worked, back to july, but it did not get rid of 2007 and give me back 2003

Microsoft says, tough luck, as it does not advise using another site thru which to update its products and says that was the problem.
Since i no longer can view my documents, i no longer know my passwords for yours or any other site.

While not the blue screen of death, it sure feels as if it is.
This has made the computer a virtual dust collector, only.
Please , please, help

I did at one point, try to get 2003 reinstalled (from my original bought disk) but it said there was an error and missing files and would not work.

I would appreciate simply straight forward, non geek directions, a simply way to undue the damage that my attempt to help you with the beta has no caused me.

Paula

Collapse -
Fixed
by howjef / October 5, 2009 4:29 PM PDT

I used revo uninstaller (downloaded thru cnet downloads). It ran for 24 hours with the hard drive spinning. I contacted them and they suggested shutting down as it shouldn't have taken more than an hour. They will correct that issue in about a month.
When i turned the computer back on, it had indeed removed office 2007.
I have now installed my 2003 office from my original disc.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

CNET EDITORS' CHOICE

Roku Streaming Stick 2016

Roku has the most apps, the simplest interface and the best search, making it CNET's favorite way to stream Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO and all the rest.