TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Disassembly of the Logitech Pure-FI Anywhere 2

by zbgamer / June 28, 2010 11:07 AM PDT

Anybody here know how to do it? one of the screws holding the swivel feet on came off, and now i have a nut floating around inside the case. I can't seem to find anywhere where the front face of the unit snaps on, nor can i find anything in the back.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Disassembly of the Logitech Pure-FI Anywhere 2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Disassembly of the Logitech Pure-FI Anywhere 2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Disassembly of the Logitech Pure-Fi Anywhere (1-??)
by sam-77 / September 11, 2010 11:16 AM PDT

I just got my Pure-Fi Anywhere (must be "1," because it doesn't say "2" on the box.) apart to both replace the battery (Ebay, $12-$15), and tighten the screw on the swivel leg.

1) Don't use a screwdriver or anything steel - you'll bugar up the plastic if you do. I used the plastic "prying tools" that came with the battery replacement kit for my iPod. I...

2) Wedged in pretty hard behind the faceplate that encircles all four speakers. This faceplate is about .080" thin. Once I saw that I could force these plastic tools in there, I carefully slid them around and loosened the whole plate. This plate is stuck on with, I guess, some kind of glue - but it remains sticky. I haven't reassembled anything yet, but I think it will go back on and stick again (careful where you set it).

3) Removing this thin plate reveals a bunch of screws. You only need to remove the eight black (larger) screws (ignore the six silver (smaller, flathead) screws - they don't need to come out).

4) Now for more prying (you got those eight larger screws out, right??) - I used the same plastic "prying tools." The best spot for this turned out to be: a) on the top; b) the side OPPOSITE of all the control buttons (power, volume, shuffle, etc.) -- halfway between the middle (iPod cradle) and the end (the opening is about 1/2" back from the front of the speakers. I forced the plastic tool in there, then twisted it and the two pieces seperated (with some effort)(you did remove those screws, right?). I worked the plastic prying tool around CAREFULLY, and eventually had complete success in seperating these two pieces. The wires from the battery are the only thing now connecting the two pieces together.

If you went this far, you don't need me to tell you about the battery or how to tighten the feet. But I DO want to express my irritation at the "expert" at the Logitech forum site: He told a questioner that "you don't want to open up the speakers, it will reduce the acoustics if you do..." Again, if you've gone this far, you can see that nothing done here could have anymore adverse affect on the acoustics than opening your car's trunk would affect the car speakers in the back.

Collapse -
by Carsten12V / February 5, 2012 9:01 PM PST

This guide worked for my 2nd edition! I heated the front plate a little with a hairdryer and could remove it with my nails and a little force.

Collapse -
Pictures of the disassembly
by samertje / April 27, 2013 11:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
Can't access link to pictures
by therevd / August 22, 2013 12:27 AM PDT

As it says in the subject title. Can you please sort this (if the problem isn't at this end) as I would really like to see the pictures.

Collapse -
The image works here
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 22, 2013 12:34 AM PDT

I can see that image, so no problems here.

You noticed how old this thread is? 1150 days old! I doubt the original posters will be returning.

Collapse -
Glitch with Google: pictures now viewable
by therevd / August 22, 2013 1:21 PM PDT
In reply to: The image works here

Thanks Mark,
I know the thread is old. I was going to replace the unit as the recharge facility hasn't worked for a long time. However, I'm very much in favour of replacing components with something such as this, which works perfectly well otherwise. If I known when I bought it that replacing the rechargeable battery wasn't going to be an option, then perhaps I would have bought another product. The speakers were/are great as far as doing the job I was wanting in other regards though.
Does anyone know where I can source a compatible replacement battery?
I know from other posts that the original battery was made specifically for this product but surely something out there must meet the required specs?

Collapse -
Managed to disassemble Thanks
by therevd / August 22, 2013 2:38 PM PDT

Hello Mark and others,
I bit the bullet so to speak and emboldened by the pictures that have been posted, I (carefully) used a steel ruler to remove the front plate. I am a little concerned that when I put it back, it will still look cosmetically okay, that the plastic will still stay on and that a tight enough seal will be possible so that the acoustics will not be adversely affected - see earlier posts.
There must be a kind of glue / sealant available that will help with the above issues - any advice?
I googled the part number from the removed battery and ordered one from eBay. All the batteries available looked much the same. Ideally, I would have preferred to buy one that cost a little more, if only to not have to repeat the replacement process so soon.
Hopefully, when the battery arrives and everything is put back together and charged up, it should work.
I will try to remember to update and let others know how successful things went.
It would have been better to have the replacement battery ready before I took it apart.
For anyone who wants to know the part number, here it is: NTA2479.
It is a GP Li-Ion battery, 3.7 V, 2150mAh

Collapse -
Update on repair
by therevd / September 13, 2013 8:38 PM PDT

The battery came from the UK to SE Asia in less than a week. Replacing the battery and putting the unit together was very easy. I had bought some "Scotch Professional" clear plastic adhesive to reseal the back of the speaker case but in the end decided against using it, just in case I needed to replace the battery any time soon.
I am not certain if putting the case together minus any kind of sealant has affected the acoustics -see earlier posts. Rather than use a super strong glue, I reckon that even something like PVA would provide an adequate seal. (My first choice would have been some kind of silicone sealant but the shop only had black and my speaker unit is white, so I decided against it.)
I'm glad to say that the front plate did stick back on despite being exposed to the air for about a week. Also the speaker unit appeared largely cosmetically unaffected by its removal. I would say that if you use a hot hairdryer or heat gun set to low heat, the front plate will come off less traumatically, than it did for me and that would further minimise the risk of scratching the front plate.
In wondering what difference sealing the unit with glue would have made but without wanting to open it up again to try, I decided to carefully seal all around the join using scotch / sello tape. I did this as a temporary measure but saying as I put the tape on as elegantly as I could, I was surprised to see that cosmetically it didn't look too bad. I can't say if acoustically the speaker performs any better as a result - though I'm pretty sure the back panel is close to being air-tight. Obviously, it won't look quite so bearable in a year or so's time, when the tape turns yellow and starts peeling off. Maybe then, I'll have the courage to open up the unit and glue it back together properly but for now I'm happy. The replacement battery is giving me a few hours of mains free music and I feel I've won some kind of a moral victory by fixing it and not spending big bucks on a new speaker dock, which I really can't afford or need right now. If you're thinking of repairing these speakers, my advice to you would be: do it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.