Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

disable file locking

by mraeryceos / November 16, 2012 1:51 AM PST
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: disable file locking
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: disable file locking
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sort of.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2012 2:01 AM PST
In reply to: disable file locking

If I run XP on FAT32, possible since it's locks are as tight.

BTW, it's rare to need this. We also have a nice tool to unlock files. It's called UNLOCKER.

Care to share why this is needed? It's very dangerous if you did it and I would not expect this system to run for more than a few weeks until it failed.
Bob

Collapse -
what about ntfs
by mraeryceos / November 16, 2012 3:09 AM PST
In reply to: Sort of.

Why would the system not run after a few weeks? Would you care to elaborate; I am unwilling to accept unless I know the reason(s). NTFS is what I'm after

Collapse -
The short version.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2012 3:32 AM PST
In reply to: what about ntfs

The file locking is there to stop issues with partial file writes, etc. Imagine if I have a file open and I'm writing at location 42. Now you replace the file and because of no locks I write my content and you now have a bum file.

It won't be long till you have so many bum files and one may be critical.

-> Tell more, what's up.
Bob

Collapse -
system files
by mraeryceos / November 16, 2012 6:39 AM PST
In reply to: The short version.

The only file that this is dangerous with is the registry. System files are pretty stagnant. I can keep registry file backups, no prob.

Collapse -
Then go right ahead.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2012 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: system files

Still can't wrap my head around what's the goal.

Collapse -
Actually it is designed ...
by Edward ODaniel / November 17, 2012 8:41 AM PST
In reply to: system files

as Bob indicated, to prevent one user from destroying or invalidating changes by another user or system process. Since Windows works with a paging file it is quite possible for one process to corrupt a system file opened by another process. That is also the reason that you couldn't expect the system to run well for very long and why Microsoft came up with System Restore for the system files.

Collapse -
Back to a discussion on how to disable file locking
by mraeryceos / November 18, 2012 10:02 PM PST

Please I don't want to hear about why this is a bad idea any more. I just want to know how to turn off file locking. That is all.

Collapse -
Re: turn file locking off
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 18, 2012 10:11 PM PST

In my post below ( 11/18/12 2:26 AM ) I already told you that at isn't possible. That is all.

Kees

Collapse -
OK but ...
by Edward ODaniel / November 19, 2012 12:00 PM PST

you will want to understand what you are doing.

This link tells you how to disable File and record locking in Windows XP Pro (you will need to locate the portion that applies to XP Pro) -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296264

This link will help you understand the different levels of Opportunistic locking -
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/locking.html#id2615926

The second link will also explain why the registry setting will not work for files locked by a specific application rather than the file system.

Have fun!

Collapse -
Answer
Re: file locking
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 16, 2012 3:13 AM PST
In reply to: disable file locking

Why do you want this? What's the purpose you want to reach? What's going wrong now?

Kees

Collapse -
nothing wrong
by mraeryceos / November 17, 2012 11:41 AM PST
In reply to: Re: file locking

I just like to tweak and mess with systems, and I want to know how to do this. That is all.

Collapse -
We can tweak and mess with XP without any issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2012 12:37 PM PST
In reply to: nothing wrong

You can turn off SFP and drop any file you want anywhere. It's still muddy what is up but I'm getting the idea you want to swap system protected files but didn't write that or tell you know about SFP.
Bob

Collapse -
Nope
by mraeryceos / November 17, 2012 1:04 PM PST

I want to turn off file locking. Has nothing to do with SFP. That has been off on my system for almost a decade. I want to turn off file locking. That is all.

Collapse -
Remember.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2012 1:22 PM PST
In reply to: Nope

We have unlocker to unlock a locked file. It's a shame that after all these posts we can't read what you are trying to do. I'm not asking about file locking, I'm asking exactly what file you want to unlock that we can't use unlocker on.
Bob

Collapse -
Remember
by mraeryceos / November 17, 2012 3:06 PM PST
In reply to: Remember.

I want to turn off file locking. That is all. I already have unlocker and know how to use it. How to keep locks from ever forming? I want to turn off file locking. That is all. You are trying to make things complicated: don't.

Collapse -
Re: turn off file locking
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 17, 2012 6:26 PM PST
In reply to: Remember

Unless you have the source code of Windows XP, you can't do that.

But the source code of all Linux distros is freely available. So how about a nice custom made Linux-without-file-locks to satisfy your needs?

Kees

Collapse -
OK, let's find a Windows with source.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2012 1:49 AM PST
In reply to: Remember

That will be the ReactOS.

To keep locks from forming we change our apps to not do that. I write apps so if I get a request to not lock a file, I can do that if it makes sense.

As it's far too dangerous to stop all file locking, I will never reveal anything about that here. I can't help folk just off the virtual cliff.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.