TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Direct tv tuner connection to hdtv

by sls / July 20, 2005 11:23 AM PDT

Does anyone know the best way to connect the standard direct tv tuner/receiver to a hdtv? I'm not sure if it has HDMI or composite or both etc

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Direct tv tuner connection to hdtv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Direct tv tuner connection to hdtv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Best would be HDMI..Upgrade tuner if no HDMI to get best sig
by jonline / July 20, 2005 11:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
Though HDMI Best, DVI With Two Audio Cables The Same Thing

nt

Collapse -
why bother unless you get the hi-def converter?
by stewart norrie / July 21, 2005 7:21 AM PDT

I had dish network for years and when I wanted to upgrade to a hi-def system the fools wanted $500 So I called Dish network and got the 811 Hi-Def system for $49.00 + they gave me a $49.00 credit off my billing .Now I have basic+ the hi-def package + voom for $45.00 per month and with the dish over the air hi-def tuner and a cheap outside antenna Iam able to receive 18 local didital channels 9 of which are in hi-def Why would you invest in a hi-def t.v. and hook it up to a standard def tuner? Also make sure you use d.v.i. cables from your hi-def converter to t.v. and if you find your d.v.d player looks poor get a d.v.d player with d.v.i output and a gifen d.v.i. switcher for a movie theater picture good luck stewart norrie

Collapse -
why bother? only b/c direct tv
by sls / July 21, 2005 8:05 AM PDT

is changing there equipment, dish and converter in the near future and I will need to replace everything. If I am wrong, please correct me. I may still opt for the hi def anyway since I have the TV... Am I better off with the HDMI isntead of dvi connection?

Collapse -
tv salesman
by hdtvsalesman / July 21, 2005 2:43 PM PDT

If you have a standard dtv receiver, s-video is your best output on the receiver. So s-video with an optical out for audio to a surround sound would be ideal. But, If you have an hdtv bite the bullet and purchase the hd receiver from dtv. If you try, the price can get cheaper with a little threat to switch to cable. also, go through dtv and make sure to include the off air antenna in your order to pick up local broadcast in your market in hd. Dtv launched new satellites to recieve locals in hd through satellite but when that will happen depends on your market. To give you an idea I live in baltimore and we ae not even on the 58 city introductory list. If you have questions about any electronics purchase email me or call 443-858-1794(cell)

Collapse -
went with HD receiver from DTV Does it have HDMI connection
by sls / August 5, 2005 3:32 PM PDT
In reply to: tv salesman

Okay, I purchased the HD receiver from Directv and need to know if it has HDMI. My Plasma does. Will Directv provide the cables when they installk the dish and receiver or should I buy the HDMI cable in advance? willI also be able to connect my Denon dvd player with its DVI connection to the TV?

Collapse -
YOU ARE CLOSE
by stewart norrie / August 6, 2005 12:37 PM PDT

Your new dish system will most likely have d.v.i output So install a h.d.m.i to d.v.i cable on your t.v. then run d.v.i output on your satillate box and d.v.d player. Also you will have to buy a GIFIN d.v.i. switcher so you can switch between satillate and d.v.d, But believe me Its worth itAlso I bet you have the DENON 2900 d.v.d player make sure to set it at 1080 in closing I wish the manufactors would either go d.v.i. or h.d.m.i it really makes things comlpex good luck to you stewart norrie

Collapse -
HDMI to DVI cable
by sls / August 7, 2005 10:35 AM PDT
In reply to: YOU ARE CLOSE

Will the HDMI to DVI cable provide a better picture than the straight DVI to DVI? Which DVI do I need, DVI-D?(DTV)
thank you

Collapse -
what about sound
by sls / August 7, 2005 10:48 AM PDT
In reply to: HDMI to DVI cable

DVI and HDMI is only for video, correct? If so, what should I use for sound from the DTV HD recever to the TV? Thank you

Collapse -
what about sound
by Psych Doc / August 7, 2005 11:15 AM PDT
In reply to: what about sound

DVI is only video and you would then use two regular RCA cables for audio L and R. HDMI (if it is supported by the TV and the tuner box (cable/Dish) you are using would provide you with lossless digital video and audio, so no need fo any audio cables here. For the video portion of the transmission, DVI or HDMI will give you equivalent results.

Collapse -
source is DVI Tv HDMI
by sls / August 7, 2005 1:14 PM PDT
In reply to: what about sound

what if the source (DTV) is DVI and the display is HDMI? It appears that I will need additional cables for sound.
What about a digital cable?
Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.