Dell forum

General discussion

Dimension E521 dual core processor up-grades

by bob5326 / June 30, 2010 8:55 PM PDT

I have a Dell Dimension E521, dual core, with AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core processor 3600+ 1.90GHz, running vista. My question is can I up-grade the processor itself or will I have to change the motherboard as well? And well the up-grade be noticeable or will I be wasting my time?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dimension E521 dual core processor up-grades
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dimension E521 dual core processor up-grades
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can I be blunt?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2010 10:07 PM PDT

After doing far too many upgrades I think you would be better off moving to Windows 7 than a CPU change. Other areas that pay off are RAM (get 2 to 4GB) and video cards since onboard video while nice enough for some things can be a bit sluggish.

There are other areas that will pay back more than a CPU change.
Bob

Collapse -
Dell E521 processor up-grades
by bob5326 / June 30, 2010 10:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Can I be blunt?

I forgot to mention that it has 2GB of ram and a Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT graphics card in it. I plan on up-grading to windows 7, but I still would like to up-grade the processor. Are you saying that I would not see an increase in speed?

Collapse -
Yes. I'll write that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2010 10:45 PM PDT

The CPU is just one small part of the speed puzzle.

Vista is sadly dogging this system and having changed a few too many I can write that easily that gave me back more than a change of a CPU that was 50% faster.

Remember you are still speed limited by video, hard drive and the rest of the system so any CPU speed increase usually results in an 1 to 2 % speed gain given we have to stick with the same board and more.

Why not go for what others have found give you double digit gains?
Bob

Collapse -
Dell E521 cpu up-grades
by bob5326 / June 30, 2010 11:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes. I'll write that.

I don't agree that the processor is one small part of the speed process, I would say that is a part of the process. Everything that the computer does goes through the processor, a faster processor would do more then pick up a 1 or 2 per cent increase in speed. Granted, vista is like dragging bricks around when you're trying to swim, but my question still stands.

Collapse -
Let's see what others offer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2010 1:08 AM PDT

You can research on google what others have put into the CPU socket under discussion.

Collapse -
I do agreed sorry but one can't
by ELTECHNICO / April 14, 2013 5:55 AM PDT

The E521 is different from ATX form factor cases, motherboards and PSU, one can't upgrade this computer because it is BTX form factor. The BTX design is design defferently the ATX is much smaller one would not be able to fit the PSU into a ATX case and one won't be able to screw the motherboard into the chases. That's Dell !!! always looking for one best interest.

Collapse -
(NT) I thought BTX was Intel looking for our best interest?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2013 7:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
YES, You Can...
by DocJekyll / September 8, 2013 12:44 AM PDT

I just upgraded my E521 from a 3500+ single core to a 6000+ (89W) dual core. She is working fine. With a 64 Bit Operating system (Win 7), she now takes 8 GB of Ram. Upgraded the PSU to 450 W. No Problem with the fit. The extra wattage on the cpu mean you want to add a couple of exhaust fans at the back. Perfect.

Collapse -
Seems only FOUR AM2 CPUs available at Newegg.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2010 2:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
PS. The forum
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2010 2:06 AM PDT

Eats links. But you can search at newegg for AM2 CPUs if you can't copy paste the link.

Collapse -
Agree with Bob
by mopscare42 / July 1, 2010 10:27 AM PDT
In reply to: PS. The forum

A couple years ago I installed a AMD 4800 processor in place of the 4200 that came with the computer and the only difference I could see was my wallet had a little less in it and I picked up a heat problem.
A new heatsink and fan took care of the heat problem, but it still didn't run much, if any faster than the old 4200.
No other hardware was changed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.