TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Dilemna over the best size TV for a 14 feet from TV viewing

by Bijou61 / February 23, 2008 12:05 AM PST

I am in the market for an LCD TV for the bedroom. The maximum viewing distance is 15 feet less the headboard and the depth of the wall mounted TV. Does anyone have a rule of thumb for best screen size? The 40" looks really big when I put a template on the wall and wondering if 37 or smaller would be better. I don't want to have the TV overwhelm the room if the viewing distance can accomodate a smaller screen. I have read all the posting and done research on 720p and 1080p and which one I get will depend on the size. I am replacing an old 26" regular TV and have a 65" 1080i in the living room... Any insight would be greatly appreciated. In the store it is hard to gauge the size since it is in such a large space with high ceilings...

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dilemna over the best size TV for a 14 feet from TV viewing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dilemna over the best size TV for a 14 feet from TV viewing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The rule of thumb I have always been told has been:
by minimalist / February 23, 2008 1:01 AM PST

viewing distance in inches divided by 2.5 = diagonal measurement of screen in inches

Now in your case that means a 72" screen which is, uh... kind of overkill for the bedroom TV I would say :-P Maybe you should consider getting a smaller screen closer to the bed somehow?

But I can tell you its better to err on the larger size rather than the smaller. Even though I was planning on getting a 40" for my living room I am glad I didn't go with anything smaller than a 46" and I only sit 9 feet away from my screen. Now granted this is for a home theater setup.

But i have been in lots of really big rooms where someone has bought a flat screen TV that looked huge when they were 4 feet away from it at the store and then they mount it on a wall way across the room from where they will be sitting and it just looks lost and the effect is totally underwhelming.

It might be a good idea to buy form a local place with a no questions asked 30 day return policy so you can try it out.

Collapse -
by Riverledge / February 23, 2008 2:06 PM PST

Best shopping,

Collapse -
I have a 42"
by kcfvegas / February 23, 2008 3:15 PM PST

In my bedroom I have a 42" Vizio 1080p LCD TV and I am very happy with it. When I'm laying down, my head is thirteen feet from the TV.
I find it a good size because it's easy to see but it doesn't overwhelm the room.
I find Vizio a good brand for the bedroom because you get a lot of bang for your buck. If you are concerned that it will overwhelm your room, I recommend that you get it at Costco because you have 90 days to return it if you're not happy with it.

Collapse -
Appreciate the good advice from you all...
by Bijou61 / February 24, 2008 10:44 AM PST
In reply to: I have a 42"

To the 3 posts above, I appreciate your feedback. I like the suggestions about tryig it out first. I didn't realize I could return TVs unless there was something wrong with them. I have been thinking of getting something smaller like the Sharp 32 and 37" or the Sony 32" (wish the Sony had a 37") but worried I won't be able to see it. The Sharp also doesn't have good sound. The Sony 40" is great with the 120hz frame rate and has great theatre sound quality. I would probably go smaller and work my way up. Thanks again for you inputs.

Collapse -
Replacing 26"TV
by steve051 / February 24, 2008 10:55 AM PST

Another consideration: If you're replacing a 26" 4:3 TV with a 16:9 widescreen; for the same size standard def picture, the widescreen will have to be about 20% larger screen size. Or, about 32" for the same SD picture size. Of course ,it might be a foot farther away, if the 26" was a CRT.

Collapse -
Good advice from the above poster.
by minimalist / February 24, 2008 1:37 PM PST

Many people are dismayed to find that 27" LCD panel looks a lot smaller than a 27" CRT when displaying 4:3 content (which is most things on TV).

I would also suggest that if you are going to be viewing this screen from across the room you probably don't really need a 1080p set. 720p would be just fine and would save you a lot of money. Unless you plan on doing critical blue ray viewing on this set someday I would think a bedroom set can be treated a little more casually.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.