Computer Newbies forum

Question

Dilema: linksys or d-link single-band router

by Inquisinator / January 18, 2013 6:01 PM PST

Hello everyone. First time on a forum. Well heres my technical dilema:
i purchased a dual band router recommended to me but now feel a bit foolish since ive just discovered that only my ipad can connect to 5ghz out of all my devices. it's ridiculous.
anyway, i researched fastest, budget single-bands and based on pc-mag review found linksys e1200. Then according to cnet it's terrible so i decided on the e1500 or d-link dir-657 according to its good cnet reviews. For some reason i read some amazon reviews and google shopping and newegg reviews and now i want to shoot myself in the head. Users say these are terrible and now i think im back to step 1 with the cnet bad-reviewed e1200, which at least has good user reviews.
Seriously. Ill be grateful to anyone who restabilizes my sanity

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dilema: linksys or d-link single-band router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dilema: linksys or d-link single-band router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Please give specifics
by monte_a / January 21, 2013 9:44 AM PST

What router do you have? Also, what devices are you trying to connect to the router? Most current routers default to 802.11 b/g/n mixed, which would not cause a problem for you, unless you changed it. Also, some older computers cannot connect to wireless networks that are secured with WPA2 security. If that is the case, change your wireless security to WEP.

My first post! Hope it helped,

Montana

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Depends on why
by lacsr / January 18, 2013 8:44 PM PST

I see no real reason to be ill at ease with the purchased router ( which is not identified ). Any additional devices added to the household will eventually make more use of the dual band. If being dual band is the only reason for dismay, why worry about it?
The original intent to purchase a new router was?

Collapse -
Answer
Routers etc.
by pgc3 / January 19, 2013 12:00 AM PST

Pretty much everbody has gone to N series and dual band routerswith hardware adapters 10/100/100 (gigabit capable) as opposed to the older systems and hardware B/G, 10/100. And if you are using ALL gigabit hardware, specifically with hardwire hook ups from an N series piece of hardware, desktops, etc. You would scrap the CAT-5 cable and swap with CAT-6 for more potential throughput. As far as wireless connectivity is concerned, depending on your server and a myriad of other conditions there is probably little guarantee of totally consistent bandwidth 24/7. For a rudimentary test of wireless performance (again rudimentary) run Speedtest.net this will give you a basic idea of wireless functionality.

Collapse -
Answer
Why feel that way?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2013 12:33 AM PST

You prepared for the future and it worked. Why not keep what's working?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
I think you may be wrong
by ChuckT / January 20, 2013 4:48 AM PST

I think you may be wrong in thinking that your iPad can only connect to a 5GHz wireless signal. That is either just 802.11a or one of the two 802.11g signals, both of which are good methods, and have a faster data-rate than 2.4Ghz, but are somewhat limited in their range. But I would think you actually have the more common 2.4GHz 802.11b, g or n capabilities also.

I don't know what you may be doing, but perhaps you have somehow disabled the 2.4GHz ability of your router (can that be done?... maybe...). Tell us what you have for a router, and what model iPad you have. You maybe overlooking some possibilities.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.