PC Applications forum

General discussion

Digitize my vinyl music records so I can burn them onto CD's

by Lelin / October 20, 2005 11:24 PM PDT

I have some fine old music recordings on vinyl (analog) and would like to digitize them on my computer so I can burn the music onto CD's. Any suggestions for the best and/or simplest way to do this?
My OS is Windows XP SP2 and I have a fairly decent Soundblaster sound card. I have 1 GB of RAM and plenty of hard drive space to work with (3 hard drives, 2 internal and 1 external).

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Digitize my vinyl music records so I can burn them onto CD's
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Digitize my vinyl music records so I can burn them onto CD's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have a look
by eddie11013 / October 21, 2005 1:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
ooops, I forgot a very good discussion - here it is
by bgoodman4 / October 21, 2005 5:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
here's two references
by lwvirden / October 28, 2005 12:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
transfer lps & audio cassets music onto cds
by bajikapadia / October 28, 2005 1:29 AM PDT

i have bought a soft ware to do the needful on the above subject.
it is dak wave editor pro v3.4. the instructions are not given in dept .you fumble on trial and error.
you access it via (htp://www.dak2000.com/reviews/2020story.cfm?GLP)
TRY ALSO (DAK 2000.com )
back up for questions not so good. i listen to classical music and on cd transfers cannot sepperate and number the tracks on the cd.
otherwise the soft ware is acceptable.

Collapse -
by Rodax / October 28, 2005 3:27 AM PDT

I also use the DAK software and GLI glx2800 mixer. It's easy to use. Baji- you can seperate your classical songs after recording them as one long piece. Open the file using the DAK editor and look at the wave display to find the end of each song. Click that point, saving everything up to it. Give it a title and save it. By using both the visual wave display and listening, you can be very precise in splitting up the songs. I have found that copying tapes to cd results in very poor sound quality. Records produced much better results but they never approach true cd quality. I only use it if my LP is unavailable on cd and I just can't live without it.

Collapse -
cd quality off a record
by Fred bouchard / October 28, 2005 1:04 PM PDT
In reply to: DAK

guys - get a better turntable and audio cartridge

hate to say it to you cd freaks, but I think my OLD Ortofon M20FL cartridge, even on a disected JVC turntable (I physically disconected ALL the automatic features, so it's a basic turntable, just like the old AR's), will outperform a cd - MUCH more natural sound (anything classical, jazz, blues) Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Yes, Tull, Jeff Beck, Alice Cooper, King Crimson; I know, all made before cd's; but I can still listen to vinyl i bought in mid 60's..... think your cd will last 45 years, playing it at least ONCE a week (if not once a day)?????????

Hate to say it - sound...ears... too dependant on "analog" reproductions. sythesizers digitize sound, but your ears are ANALOG

triumph simple stereo

Collapse -
Analog Ears?
by daveo / October 29, 2005 12:25 AM PDT

Fred, my ears may be analog, but my couch body clutch
reqires a thing that will play all my goodies for
lots of hours, rather than racing up and changing a grand ole LP every 20 minutes.

Collapse -
Total Recorder iand Cakewalk's Pryo 5 are Great also
by awjester / October 29, 2005 7:24 AM PDT

Total Recorder (www.highcriteria.com) is also great for recording, editing and splitting the songs into tracks. Also Cakewalk's Pryo 5 is pretty good also.

Collapse -
A better way, I think
by daveo / October 28, 2005 7:43 AM PDT

Nero, which possibly may be more expensive?
Allows entitling and really find editing.

Collapse -
My setup
by aceruser / October 29, 2005 1:01 PM PDT
In reply to: A better way, I think

I changed to a laptop after my PC died, and moved my office into my living room, so I didn't have space for a full stereo system or a 50 lb Thorens turntable, which I previously used.

I bought a Creative Audigy notebook sound card, which records in 96kHz, 24 bit sound, far superior to most CD standard production. I then bought a cheap, lightweight Optimus LAB 1100 from our local Radio Shack equivalent, which has a built in preamplifier to give RIAA equalization.

I have made two CDs using the inbuilt Creative recording programmes, recording 40 year old records in average to poor condition. The result is sparkling, fresh and vivid sound, which is as clear as the original mastger tape. Noise reduction takes care of most of the hiss / pop and crackle of any surface noise. Comparing the CDs I make to CD versions of these records is very instructional, as the CD-from-vinyl has more "presence", due the the full harmonic range of the analogue recording being preserved. The more complex the recording, the more the advantages of the higher sampling rate become literally clear. I may have to buy back all the records I sold after recording them to CD at lesser sampling rates...

Collapse -
Never heard of DAK, you need something like Roxio or Nero
by railtrolley / October 29, 2005 2:34 AM PDT

Both of these software packages will let you split the one long recording into separate tracks so you skip when you want to listen to a particular track.

Collapse -
What I use...
by hasilvalens / October 28, 2005 5:10 AM PDT

Since my PC is now behind on the 3D gaming area (64MB video, 512MB DDR RAM, 60GB HDD), I use it now as part of my home recording studio. With it, I use Creative's E-MU 0404 PCI digital audio interface which allows a 1/4 inch TRS cables as input and out,among other bells and whistles (it goes for like $100 @ Guitar Center). Although Windows has the capability to record through a standard mic input, the quality will be nowhere near that of a specialty sound card, i.e. the 0404. If you're only gonna do LP to CD recordings, the bundled software included with most digital interfaces should do the trick. Another important item is your record needle. If you can, look to spend about $60-$80 on a good needle. Shure makes some pretty decent ones. Lastly, make sure you have some sort of EQ adjustments as some older LP's tend to have a "hissing" sound you can virtually eliminate by lowering the "Hi" settings.
It also goes without saying that you'll need plenty of drive space and memory to hold your recorded data. Hope this helps!

Collapse -
phono cartridges
by Fred bouchard / October 28, 2005 1:15 PM PDT
In reply to: What I use...

screw shure, get an ortofon - nice little (tiny) ELLIPTICLE needle ($100 M20FL)- these cartridges will outperform a digital cd even though they mount on swing style tone arms (like the old AR's; actually, the turntable becomes a VERY important entity at this point - friction sucks) mine's 25+yrs old, and I'd stack it up against a cd

Collapse -
Digitize my vinyl music records so I can burn them onto
by daveo / October 28, 2005 6:10 AM PDT

It is doable!

At first I tried using ROXIO's Easy thing
and it worked just fine, but would not allow editing.
So I asked on the Easy CD Creator forum how to best copy my several hundred LPs to my computer.
The answer was to use NERO. So I tried a trial version and it was great.
When copying from an LP, there can be some noise especially from a well used LP. Nero allows one to eliminate that noise selectively. You can actually see the wave forms.

I believe you can ''record'' using Nero, but since I started with Easy CD Creator, I use it to record to my HD, and then edit and entitle everything with NERO.

Everything I copy (record) to my HD has its own
title. Then when I copy my music to CDs they are
sorted by title which shows up on my TV nicely.
Also when I was wandering about the Internet looking for a good way to compress the music, there seemed to be some sound reasons for using WMA (Windows Media Audio) instead of MP3. So that is what I use.

I can get almost 300 selections on each CD.

Now what shall I do with all those fine LPs?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Save as antiques... they will become priceless :)
by glenn30 / October 28, 2005 9:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
antique saving
by rose_thomas / May 6, 2008 2:49 PM PDT

Hello i m totally new to these discussions. I m ms rose thomas.

Collapse -
antique saving
by rose_thomas / May 6, 2008 2:57 PM PDT

hello, i m rose thomas. i also want to knw tht how to save antiques.

Collapse -
by rose_thomas / May 6, 2008 3:00 PM PDT

please tell me that how can i save my antiques feom wear n tear?

Collapse -
by rose_thomas / May 6, 2008 3:06 PM PDT

please give me idea that what type of antiques should i purchase?

Collapse -
Digitize my vinyl music records
by Fred bouchard / October 28, 2005 1:30 PM PDT

hey guy -

Nero IS good - you just have to save your projects often and make a backup copy of you music BEFORE you do ANYTHING ( I've lost quite a few recordings during edit with Nero)

one thing I don't like is that 2 second gap it tries to put between each burn entity

best wave recorder I've found to-date is Creative's and it's bundled with the soundblaster boards !!!!! best (the industry standard) and they're cheap - best bang for the buck until Bose gets involved..............

and my cd's travel in my car - and my chevy don't understand mp3 format..........

Collapse -
How I converted vinyl and cassettes to CD
by railtrolley / October 29, 2005 2:13 AM PDT

I have converted a number of these to CD, which I now listen to in my car, beats radio with all its ads.

My set up is a cassette deck or a turntable and amplifier. The cassette deck can be plugged straight into the pc, but most turntables need the pre amp section (the part that has the balance, bass, treble controls etc.) of the amplifier as their line out signal is too weak to be picked up by the pc.

For a turntable setup you need a lead from the tape monitor output sockets on the back your pre-amp, so the pc takes over the role of the cassette deck (tape monitor). The usual lead is a 2 x RCA plugs for your amp to a 3.5mm stereo plug (plug is the same as most headphone plugs for discman's etc). You can get these from an electronics or hi fi shop.

The pc motherboard usually has 3 x 3.5mm sockets, one is 'line out' (to your speakers, so you can hear what is going into the pc), one is 'line in' (the lead from your tape monitor sockets of the amplifier) and the other is 'microphone in', which is not used for this.

I use Roxio Easy CD creator. My old version 5 (just gone to 6 for dvd burning) was very easy to use with it's 'spin doctor' screen. It had controls to remove click and hiss and automatically split the tracks up where there was silence. This is good as you can usually set up the turntable, start recording and walk away letting the program record for you. You could also edit the tracks and split manually if the program did it in the wrong place.

The tracks are recorded as WAV files, which can be listened to straightaway on you PC. Roxio when burning a CD automatically converts the files to CDDA (compact disc digital audio)

About the only thing I didn't like on Roxio was there was only one input level to set. I would have preferred separate input levels as some recordings have sound variation between left and right channels. Good luck with your project.

Collapse -
digitizing vinyl
by Fred bouchard / October 28, 2005 12:08 PM PDT

I've been using Creative's recorder thatr came with the soundblaster - learn to use the function keys (fnct r to record and fnct s to stop) since they're much faster than using a mouse. REAL important to set the record levels (I've clipped many a recording)

Another NICE program is Nero - it comes with a wave editor, and if you're real good, you can edit out all them scratches that come along with vinyl.

Only drawback I've found is that the cd burner programs want to toss in a two second break - what's up with that! Annoying is an understatment - real hard to merge sound on sound, so it takes a LOT of practice. Get a stack of poor cd's to practice with - cheap ones, so when you toss them away, you don't mind.

fyi - Best cd's I've come (long time endurance in a car) are the Sony Music cd's (they reside in my car summer and winter in MA)

Collapse -
and another opps
by Fred bouchard / October 28, 2005 12:22 PM PDT
In reply to: digitizing vinyl

oh - by the way

if you use .wav format, you can listen to the recording ANYWHERE, even though it takes up the most space (guess that's the price for universality)

mp3's don't play in the (my) car (2003 Impala - and the stereo is VERY good - ain't too many others I've come across that can play CLEAN (no audible distortion) near full volume (that is, if the source is clean)

your format will be VERY specific to the hardware you're going to use to listen to the recording

And I've come across one real bad problem, though. Feedback. That inceasant background HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM; think I need a big wire between ALL my electronics.....
Or, maybe, direct-connect my turntable to the soundblaster!?!?! now there's a thought.....

Oh - maxtor makes a CHEAP 80 gig USB drive guy........

Collapse -
Digitizing Vinyl LPs with Magix Audio Cleaning 10
by Renew / October 28, 2005 1:45 PM PDT
In reply to: and another opps

I have transferred probably a thousand songs from my era (40s & 50s) to CD from LPs and have used just about every editing package. With each introduction of an updated program the editing automation process becomes more efficient and usually does okay. Magix 10 has a feature that can make a vinyl sound like an LP and if you record a 78 rpm and 33 or 45, will convert it to the right 78rpm speed and many other features I have not yet used.

I also use Roxio 7. It does some things more easily than Roxio and after finishing using Rosio, I drag and drop the song to Magix and finish the task. I have some trouble with Roxio loading. I bought Roxio 7.5 and it would not accept the CD key. I took it back to Best Buy for a refund and shortly got Magix 10.

Keep in mind that unless your record is in pristine condition you will need to edit it. Both of these programs add brightness, stereo separation, and a host of other fun things to enhance your LP treasures. J. R.

Collapse -
convert Lps to cd
by billyc--2008 / October 28, 2005 8:20 PM PDT

gm could any one tell me what kind hardware i need to convert Lps to cd's ie turntable and so on thank you billyc

Collapse -
lp's to cd's
by Fred bouchard / October 28, 2005 11:20 PM PDT
In reply to: convert Lps to cd

get a decent turntable - mine's an old JVC L-A10 that has had the automatic mechanism (ie rejecting mech) removed so as to track better on the inner tracks. I added a very good Ortofon cartridge to this. from there I just tap out the tape out of my receiver and into the line-in of my soundblaster card. record using creative recorder (packaged with the card)- just make sure you have lots of drive space (some songs will run 500megs as a .wav file!); this computer is ancient - it's only a 400mhz MMX but records quite well

Collapse -
mini jacks
by coylay / October 31, 2005 5:34 AM PST
In reply to: and another opps

Do the mini jacks and the more ordinary sound cards give good quality recordings or do I really need to spring for a better sound card and cables?

Collapse -
digitizing vinyl
by Fred bouchard / October 28, 2005 1:41 PM PDT

anyways boys and girls - I got to record my "Stand Up" album - need it for a date tomorrow................

Collapse -
Easy way for me
by zorander / October 29, 2005 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: digitizing vinyl

I bought a cable at Radio Shack that I plugged into the headphone jack on my receiver and then into the line-in jack of my sound card. This allowed me to copy not only my LPs, but my cassettes and reel-to-reels.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.