TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

digital television without cable provider

by karenfromcanton / June 2, 2008 9:54 AM PDT

I am going to disconnect cable this week. I unplugged my Samsung High Definition Tube tv from the cable and plugged the tv into an outlet (using a surge protector) I connected my Radio Shack High Definition Antenna to watch tv without the cable and it is fuzzy. I was told to move the antenna around and move the tv around. I didn't know I would have this problem. I am discontinuing service with cable because I don't watch cable tv. I don't think this is a resolveable issue, but would appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Karen

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: digital television without cable provider
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: digital television without cable provider
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
digital tuner
by gabereyes / June 2, 2008 12:45 PM PDT

do you know if your HDTV has a digital tuner or ATSC tuner?
if your not sure, tell me the model number and I can find out.

It you do have a digital tuner, make sure the TV is setup for Antenna not cable and scan for new channels in the menu.

you sould not have a fuzzy picture with digital antenna, but you might need an outdoor version.

Collapse -
hdtv fuzzy picture
by karenfromcanton / June 2, 2008 12:58 PM PDT
In reply to: digital tuner

Yes, I scanned it over the air, not cable channels. I have a Samsung TX-R2675WH. If I knew I was going to disconnect cable and this would happen, I wouldn't have bought this tv. My friends who have an analog tv without cable bought the digital converter box and now have a great picture. Live and learn!

Collapse -
No, you are alright.
by ahtoi / June 3, 2008 5:06 AM PDT
In reply to: hdtv fuzzy picture

You are set for next year (to be sure) when all broadcast switch over to digital.

Your set do have a built-in atsc tuner; you should be able to recieve HDTV signal in your area (if the signal is strong enough). Here is the thing about digital signal..You either get a good one..or a lousy one, no in between.

Do you have an vcr (with built-in tuner)? Connect that to your tv and see if you can get any regular tv channels with that.

Collapse -
I do not know
by gabereyes / June 3, 2008 9:54 AM PDT
In reply to: hdtv fuzzy picture

Ive never heard of any HD being fuzzy, something else must be wrong.

Collapse -
Found out my digital tv does not have a qualm tuner.
by karenfromcanton / June 3, 2008 10:33 AM PDT
In reply to: digital tuner

I spoke with Samsung and they told me my digital tv does not have a qualm (not sure about spelling) tuner, therefore it is not a true digital tuner tv. I had the antenna in the wrong slot and I moved it next to a window and now it works. I want to purchase an outdoor antenna. I would appreciate any advice as to any information about these-which brands, can I put it in my attic, where I should buy it for the best price, etc. Thank you!

Collapse -
Lets get one thing out of the way here.
by ahtoi / June 3, 2008 11:11 AM PDT

Your tv don't have a QAM tuner, which is ok because you don't need one here.

As for the antenna and where to put it, I don't think we can tell you; It depends in the area you live and how the signals are. But if there is a Fry's store near you, they have many antennas available at varying prices.

Collapse -
hdtv questions
by karenfromcanton / June 3, 2008 11:36 AM PDT

I don't understand what you meant when you said about the qualm tuner "you don't need one here"? We don't have that store in Massachusetts. Regarding the outdoor antennas, I like to hear other people's input/reviews.

Karen

Collapse -
QAM tuner;
by ahtoi / June 4, 2008 8:40 AM PDT
In reply to: hdtv questions
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.