TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Digital Optical Audio

by draedon33 / December 4, 2006 6:58 AM PST

I have a Samsung (TX-S3079WH) 30" wide slim-fit w/ HDTV tuner built in which I am connecting to a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD cable box.

I purchased Monster THX standard component video cables and Monster THX Standard Digital Optical Audio cables to connect the two devices.

Once everything was connected I had a good video connection but, no sound. I checked and rechecked all of my connections and settings. Everything was plugged in and correct and still no sound. I have checked troubleshooting guides for all 3 manufacturers and not found a solution.

Any help in resolving this audio problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Digital Optical Audio
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Digital Optical Audio
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you have to tell. . .
by Coryphaeus / December 4, 2006 9:03 AM PST
In reply to: Digital Optical Audio

the cable box to output digital audio?

Collapse -
Well ...
by draedon33 / December 4, 2006 9:08 AM PST

I cannot find anything in any of the menu options that lets me specify a specific type of audio output. In either the TV or the cable box.

Collapse -
Check the output on the cable box and the input on the TV
by mojorhino / December 4, 2006 12:31 PM PST
In reply to: Well ...

TV's and cable boxes are just like a house - they have a front door and a back door. You have to unlock the right door to get in or out. You have to set the input on the TV for the right type of cable (digital coax or optical)in your setup menu, and also on the cable box you have to set your output correctly so that your TV will receive the signal coming from the cable box. When they are both setup right then you should get sound.

Collapse -
Make sure you're using an input
by paquets14 / December 5, 2006 12:23 PM PST

I also just bought a digital optical cable for my new sony xbr2... and after finding a great picture... I too lost my sound. After a while I finally took a flashlight back there and found that both the cable box and tv had optical outputs.. no inputs. I believe you need a reciever to use this cord. I've tried changing setting on the tv... but no luck.

Collapse -
Use digital coax
by mojorhino / December 5, 2006 1:17 PM PST

Use digital coax its the same concept as optical but doesnt use light to transfer the signal if you tv doesnt have optical it shold have a digital coax input

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.