Cameras forum

General discussion

digital cameras memory

by philipnava / May 17, 2013 3:37 AM PDT

I bought a vivitar digital camera. It came with an SD 2GB memory. I'm being told that for normal use I need up to 32GB memory. I bought the camera for it's low price. Now I find out I have to spend more money for a memory card. I maybe at the most take 25 pictures but mostly 5 or six. I'm not a photographer just an average user. Questions: Do I really need 32GB memory or what would I need? Would 8GB fit my needs? Is the memory in terms of how many pictures one can take? 2GB takes x amount of pictures, 4GB x+, 6GB x++ Or how many pictures does each GB take?.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: digital cameras memory
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: digital cameras memory
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: card
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 17, 2013 3:52 AM PDT
In reply to: digital cameras memory

The average picture, stored as .jpg, is some 2 MB. So in 2 GB you can store some 1000 pictures. Might be enough if you copy them to your PC once in a while.

Kees

Collapse -
digital camera memory
by philipnava / May 17, 2013 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: card

Thanks Kees,

So I can store 1000 pictures in my camera with 2GB card before it runs out of memory. But then I can copy them into my PC to free memory space. Okay then 2GB is plenty of memory for my average use.

Collapse -
-> STORE <-
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2013 12:06 PM PDT
In reply to: digital camera memory

Danger, Will Robinson!

The number of folk that "store" pictures and more on a single device like this inevitably ask how to recover lost items.

At least you've been warned.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.