Cameras forum

General discussion

Digital camera with slow motion video

by nvu5 / November 23, 2008 4:04 PM PST

I've been searching for a couple of hours for digital cameras that have slow motion video capabilities. I was told Canon makes several but can't seem to find them. Can anyone suggest any cameras that can record and play back video in slow motion?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Digital camera with slow motion video
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Digital camera with slow motion video
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Slow Motion
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 23, 2008 11:44 PM PST

To achieve slow motion on play back you have to record at a high frame rate.

Most digital cameras struggle to get 30 frames per second (which is normal speed).
Some can record at 60 frames per second but only while in 320x240 mode.

There is one high speed digital camera that can probably do what you want.
It can record video at 1,200 frames per second.
It can take still photos at 60 pictures per second.

The Casio Pro EX-F1

Here is a link to a review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_reviews/casio_ex-f1.html

It will cost you about $900

Collapse -
Slow Motion Video
by Dave Heard / January 5, 2009 1:21 PM PST

Hi there,

While my Digital 8 Sony Handycam doesn't have a high speed record facility it does have a slow playback mode activivated from the remote control. I have activated that mode when transferring video from camera to edit program on my PC. I have also put the camera in Pause mode while continuing to record to the PC. It's a compromise that won't handle all situations but it is useful at times.

Dave Heard

Collapse -
Thank you
by nvu5 / January 5, 2009 1:31 PM PST
In reply to: Slow Motion Video

snapshot2, Dave,

Money's getting tighter around here so this is definitely on the back burner for now. However, thank you for your replies - I'll keep your suggestions in mind when I resume my shopping.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.