Camcorders forum

General discussion

Digital Camera vs. Digital Camcorder. What's the difference?

by d.a.grice / September 29, 2007 5:23 AM PDT

I see many digital cameras that say they can take digital stills as well as digital video footage. I see digital camcorders that boost they can take digital video (obviously)as well as digital stills. Can someone explain the difference between the two. Is it better to have a camcorder for video footage only and a seperate digital camera for photos only?I'm confused about what sets the two apart. Thanks for taking the time out to answer.
d.a.grice

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Digital Camera vs. Digital Camcorder. What's the difference?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Digital Camera vs. Digital Camcorder. What's the difference?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My interpretation on the difference is
by boya84 / September 29, 2007 7:35 AM PDT

that a camcorder which takes stills will have electronics and an appropriate mechanism for storing video. That video would normally be viewed on a television using NTSC (or PAL), fill the screen and look pretty good. The best video capture is written to miniDV tape. A still can be taken and written to a memory card but the resolution will not be that great.

O the ither hand, a still camera will be able to do good stills written to a memory card - and if the memory card is big enough, record short video clips that can be displayed in a small window on a computer - but when expanded to fill a TV screen won't look good at all.

Also, I have not seen a still camera - with video clip capabilities - that has a decent mic - or a mic in jack.

"Digital video" on a still camera with limited video capabilities just means the video footage is stored using a series of 0s and 1s and makes no promises as to the quality of that video when viewed on various monitors or sizes. DV on a camcorder is a standard method to store video that, when played back on a TV, will provide good quality video.

If you want good quality video, use a a good video camera - miniDV tape or even some of the hard drive based units. Stay very far away from DVD based units. If you want good quality stills, use a good still-camera.

Collapse -
A quick answer
by whizkid454 / September 29, 2007 7:38 AM PDT
Is it better to have a camcorder for video footage only and a seperate digital camera for photos only?

-----Yes. Why? No particular reason except one is designed for one task while the other is designed for another task. The technical reasons would cram this tiny space so I'll leave that for you to find on Wikipedia if you are interested in the meat.

The reason why a device boasts other features? Sounds better to the consumer, does it not?
Collapse -
Thank you both!!
by d.a.grice / September 30, 2007 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: A quick answer

Thank you bboy and whizkid for clearing that up for me.It's nice to know that there's a place like this for a novice to come for clear answers.
d.a.grice

Collapse -
My question to you is
by nshivapraneeth / October 20, 2011 9:57 PM PDT
In reply to: A quick answer

Hello! can you tell me the difference between the digital camera and a camcorder listing out the pros and cons of both of them?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.