Cameras forum

General discussion

Digital camera transfer virus?

by madseason / May 7, 2010 2:14 PM PDT

Here?s what happened

Sister in law gets a virus on dell laptop, Needs me to look at it. Has AVG.

Connects her Sony cybershot digital camera using Sony type 2 USB wire with a 1GB memory stick pro duo to my similar dell laptop and I immediately get an AVG pop up saying I have a virus.

Is it possible she got a virus on her computer, transferred it to her memory stick, not affect her camera in any way, then transfer from the camera to my computer?

And if so, can I connect the camera to my computer and use AVG to scan the camera and remove the virus?

BTW- Think I AVG?D, spybot?d and ccleaner?d the virus off my computer but still have to check hers.

PS - I also posted in the virus forum but no replies.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Digital camera transfer virus?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Digital camera transfer virus?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's possible

The camera won't be affected, but if you think that the memory card has problem then what you should do, before connecting it to your computer, is turn off "auto play/run" on your computer. You don't want the card to run before you do anything with it. Then you can scan the memory card. The safest way would be to have the camera format the card. You'll lose the photos but it's better than dealing with a virus on your computer. It's not a guarantee that AVG will stop a virus before it infects your computer.

All of this is predicated on whether or not there is an actual virus on the memory card.

Collapse -
OK Thanks
by madseason / May 7, 2010 3:05 PM PDT
In reply to: It's possible

if its possible I have to try and clear the memory card of the virus. you don't know my wife/sister in law. they rather throw this computer in the ocean than format the memory card.

I forgot to add in my original post that my sister in law frequently takes her card to a place(don't know where) and gets pics developed off it. Not sure if its possible the card got infected from wherever she takes it.

Can you tell me how to shut off "auto play/run"?

Collapse -
it depends on the OS
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / May 7, 2010 3:08 PM PDT
In reply to: OK Thanks
Collapse -
just checked it out
by madseason / May 8, 2010 3:43 PM PDT
In reply to: it depends on the OS

sounds like i can do it but messing with the registry is slightly out of my league. im afraid ill mess the whole system up. im afraid to back it up right now b/c i dont know if this virus or another is lingering around and then gonna infect my external.

if u mess up the registry can u get your system to start even in safe mode and use system restore? If you can, then ill try it.

oh. have windows xp dell e1405

Collapse -
you have to be very careful
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / May 9, 2010 2:47 AM PDT
In reply to: just checked it out

If you mess up a crucial part of the registry then even Safe Mode won't work and you have to do a repair using your Windows disc.

Collapse -
Fixed it I think
by madseason / May 9, 2010 1:11 PM PDT

I plugged in a usb drive i had to see if there was someway to disable autoplay when it popped up. also figured that maybe the autoplay would pop up for my usb drive and when i plug in the camera maybe it wont do it again. a quirk i noticed happens sometimes. so when i popped in the camera i just got that window that asks you what do you wanna do - scanner and camera wizard, picture and fax viewer, etc. i just hit cancel opened my computer, right clicked on the camera and hit scan with avg. it scanned it and found a trojan horse:

Infection Trojan horse Generic14.GMG

E:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-1482476501-1644491937-682003330-1013\win32.exe 5/9/2010, 10:37:51 AM

added it to the vault. scanned the camera again and found nothing. transferred the pics to my computer and scanned the folder-nothing. scanned the computer - nothing. so unless the virus is hiding somewhere avg cant hide it - i think im good. thanks for the help!

Collapse -
Just for next time
by richteral / May 14, 2010 5:38 PM PDT
In reply to: just checked it out

If you don?t know how to do something, just right-click on it; a number of possibilities suddenly opens up, one of them quite likely being what you were after. All it takes is go through the menus.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.