Cameras forum

General discussion

Digital camera for good indoor shots and low shutter lag

by iwantagoodcamera / November 26, 2006 1:52 AM PST

I looked at the Canon S3 IS and the Panasonic Lumix FZ7 today and felt that indoors the Canon had very little shutter lag, focused very quickly, but the Lumix was slow and didn't focus quickly. Is this common or was this just b/c they were demo cameras at a big store? I want something with a nice zoom, low shutter lag, quick focus (are there any that I can manually focus if I wanted to?). Also, I notice that some of the Canons take regular batteries. Is that a pain? Do they run out quickly?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Digital camera for good indoor shots and low shutter lag
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Digital camera for good indoor shots and low shutter lag
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Shutter Lag
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 26, 2006 7:18 AM PST

According to reviews, the shutter lag on the Canon S3 IS and the Panasonic FZ7 are the same (0.5 second)

As far as the focus time you experienced.....are you sure that image stabilization was turned-on for both cameras? Did you try to focus on the exact same object?

According to the specifications, both cameras have manual focus.
I don't believe the focus is done by twisting a ring on the lens.

All digital cameras that use AA alkaline batteries will also use rechargeable NiMH AA batteries. So plan to spend about $20 to buy the NiMH batteries and a charger.
Buy NiMH batteries with a high mAh (Milli-amp hours) rating. Something near 2500 mAh.
NiMH batteries will last 3 to 4 times longer (on one charge) than alkaline batteries will last.

Collapse -
Canon cameras
by sroyeton / November 27, 2006 12:19 PM PST

I am not sure about the camera you used but I have a Canon D20 and all of the lenses have an auto/manual switch on the lens. That way you can focus manually.

Collapse -
You can also usually manually adjust the focus after auto
by Kiddpeat / November 27, 2006 12:42 PM PST
In reply to: Canon cameras

focus has done its job. That means you can adjust for the expected depth of field.

Collapse -
Auto Focus Mode
by Arnold Victor / November 27, 2006 7:43 PM PST

The Panasonic has 5 different auto focus choices, 2 of which are "high speed". I have mine set on 1 area focusing, high speed, most of the time and have not been disappointed. Indoor shots, in low light, are probably going to be somewhat of a problem for any of the comparable cameras.

Collapse -
panasonic fz7
by eglazier / November 27, 2006 8:25 PM PST

I have the FZ7 and find that taking indoor shots in lighted conditions, but not very light, is doable because of the stabilization feature. it just means using shutter speeds of 1 to 2 s( program mode) and being as still as possible during the shutter opening. Because one can then view the photo immediately, it is easy to see whether one was successful. Of course, there is always the flash though it would be nice if one could soften it in some easy way.
Because the instuction book is a BOOK, there are all sorts of things that can be adjusted to suit most every arcane purpose, but i wish that the idea of including everything just because we can would be tempered with a little bit of ' do we really need to do that?'

Collapse -
(NT) Go 4 Canon S3 IS.Batteries aren't a pain,dont run out quicly
by Ryo Hazuki / November 28, 2006 7:03 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.