Samsung forum

General discussion

digital board issues with hlr4667w hlr5067w hlr5667w hlr6167

by jasonm1976 / December 1, 2009 12:14 AM PST

many of us have been having issues with these tv's most of us are having them repaired on our own and samsung has no idea of the issue. here the solder needs reflowed on the digital board. we found a guy that reflows the solder for 40 dollars. please check out Look the post has over 7,300 hits.

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove advertising link on 07/26/2011 at 8:41 AM PT

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: digital board issues with hlr4667w hlr5067w hlr5667w hlr6167
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: digital board issues with hlr4667w hlr5067w hlr5667w hlr6167
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ok lets all who have this issue let samsung know.
by jasonm1976 / December 1, 2009 12:20 AM PST

if you had this issue please let samsung know. issues caused by this. tv restarting over and over. screen going blank and remote doesn't work until tv screen shows back up, green bars on the screen. tv wont power up as in lamp light flashes and the tv lamp is on, scren stays blank and then the standby temp light comes on,

since samsung uses this web page for tech support. please add your reply.

I had the issue with a hlr5067w and a hlr5667w

that makes two in one household.

Collapse -
hlr5067w with pliad green pattern
by Gunz18 / December 1, 2009 1:40 AM PST

I have a HLR5067W. I loved this tv until a little over a hear ago the screen would go black for several seconds and then come back. Very annoying but I could live with it. About a month later a green plaid pattern began appearing over the picture completely distorting the picture, sound is still normal. This problem is not as bad on HD stations but still noticeable and very annoying. The only input I don't have this problem on yet, is the HDMI input. Who knows how long before it won't work also. I contacted Samsung about the issue and they told me to take my tv to a specific local repair station. I was quoted between $600 and $800 to fix the problem. Almost the cost of a new tv and way more than I am willing to pay. For now the tv has been put into storage until I figure out a economical way to fix it. I understand the tv is out of warranty I have no problem paying some money to fix the problem, but I have talked to several dozen people with the same problem. It would be nice if Samsung would admit they made a defective part and present a reasonable solution, instead of denying their is a problem.

Collapse -
by brittanydixon1984 / July 7, 2010 9:46 AM PDT

I have had problems with my hlr5067wax/xaa dlp 50" tv since the warranty expired in 08. Litteraly a month after it started turning itself off. You could have it on for two hours or two minutes and it would do it. Then the bulb blew so i paid 250 dollars for a new one and replaced it myself. Now the tv sometimes is a green, plaid screen the audio is fine and you can slightly see the show on behind it. So on some days i cant watch my 2,ooo dollar tv. So today i get in the mail a booklet for the samsung DLP Television class action litigation it states that if you experience the shadow effect they will send a service tech to your home free of charge to repair it.. what I want to see is samsung admit the other problems we are all experiencing with these t.v.s. I have called in reports of the problems to samsung so that they will all be documented. My calls however are not enough I strongly urge anyone with these problems to please join me in calling them in at 1-800-samsung and also take it a step further, today I wrote a letter to the head office of samsung (address provided below) this is the only way we will be compensated. please join me in my quest for samsung to right this wrong and mail your complaint to Samsung Electronics America 85 challenger rd. 7th floor ridgefield park, New Jersey,07660 please refference this website so they can see the MANY people experiencing the same problems with the same t.v.
I don't think it would bankrupt Samsung whom we've all supported throughout generations of stereo,Television,home theatre system, and many other product purchases\ to compensate, Dare I say replace the T.V.'s in question. Thanks for reading and please help win this battle for the hard working people of America..
A disgruntled consumer

Collapse -
by jtskinz / July 7, 2010 10:20 AM PDT

How did you get the letter about the class action lawsuit? I have a Samsung DLP with the green plaid effect, out of warranty of course. Can you email me a copy or post the instructions on what to do to get Samsung to repair these issues? I have called and filled a claim in NJ AG, still waiting.

Thanks, Jason

Collapse -
by dissatisfied2 / February 8, 2011 11:53 PM PST

I have done a chat and sent e-mail to Samsung. Samsung keeps telling me this is not a known issue. It is a shame and disgrace such a large company would make millions taking from hard workers with no conscious or remorse. I see people have posted about this same issue on this website for years now to no avail. I guess they are no different than the Toyota giant. Thank God the TVs don't explode and kill us becuase they would deny any wrong doing and turn their backs on loss of life! I hate to see people take advantage of others at the innocent person's expense. Grrr . . .

Collapse -
by isleskr / February 9, 2011 1:08 AM PST

file the complaint to the new jersey attorney generals office like this topic instructs you too. It worked for me and I have a new plasma

Collapse -
Sooooooo happy for you!!!!!!!
by dissatisfied2 / February 9, 2011 2:11 AM PST

Oh my God! I am so happy for you. Thank you so very much for sharing. I am so glad to know SOMEBODY was delivered from this nightmare. As bad as the economy is and having to work so hard for your money (provided you have a job), this is EXCELLENT NEWS! Best regards.

Collapse -
(NT) What is the address for the Attorney General in New Jersey?
by 1for_the-job / June 29, 2011 7:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
I have a Samsung HL-r5067w need your help.
by MZnova / December 13, 2012 4:38 PM PST

I'm trying to have my tv fixed and have Samsung pay for it. What did you say in your letter and how long did it take for them to reply? I'm hoping to hear from you.
A copy of a letter would help many of us to know how to word ours. Happy

Collapse -
have you changed out your digital board?
by cttina / June 6, 2011 2:52 AM PDT

i have the same prob. i have tried changing my digital board twice. both replacement boards were bad. i really have no idea what i can do. am thinking about writing to NJ AG to see if i get a response.

Collapse -
My DLP had all of these problems.
by don165 / January 17, 2013 11:26 AM PST

My HLR5067WAX had all of these problems including the plaid bars every few inches apart from each other
Across the screen. It started with the on and off. Then the ON only lasted for a few minutes and the lamp light stayed on. I found a new lamp online for $50.00 including sh & H. I waited a week for it and it installs so easy. Slide one out,slide the other one in. All is good and working perfect now. Try It.

Collapse -
purlple-green screen
by rmancuso69 / October 9, 2013 11:08 PM PDT

are you saying that a bulb fixed the plaid bars. Everybody says that's a board problem. I would think the bulp problem is that either its on or working or off when its not.

Collapse -
Green "Plaid-like" pattern on analog channels
by EdMonte1 / January 3, 2014 3:56 AM PST
In reply to: purlple-green screen

I've owned a Samsung HLR6167WX/XAA since may 2005. Within the first two years Samsung replaced the digital board under warranty. Since then I have replaced the lamp four times. The first replacement cost me $150, the last one, purchased in June 2013 cost me $35 when problems researched on line suggested I needed to replace the color wheel. Since the color wheel solved my problems, I kept the lamp, as I was sure I'd need to replace it again (the last lamp replacement was two years ago). Yesterday the green plaid pattern began, as described thought this thread on analog channels only. This morning the TV would not come on, the green "bad lamp" indicator with which I am now familiar flashed again followed by the set turning itself off. I dug out my spare lamp, and replaced the old one. The TV is as good as ever. I am reluctant to declare victory, but cautiously optimistic.

Collapse -
Same issues
by Bos-sj / October 14, 2011 3:45 PM PDT

I too have these problem with my 4 yr old HL-R5067W DLP tv. Picture freezes sound continues, sometimes no sound but good picture. screen blackout. When picture freezes remote won't work. All inputs produce a green plaid screen except the HDMI.

Collapse -
just fixed my tv
by kennyd1223 / October 15, 2011 12:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Same issues

I have a 5067w Samsung and just fixed my tv!!! YEAAH!!! I had green lines , green shadows. The Blueray had a perfect picture and for the last month we have been only using this tv for movies. I had read the problem was the analog tuner until i read this article. About 4 yrs ago I had a color wheel crash and I was able to fix my tv from the blogs like this.
Take apart the Samsung is very easy since it is modulated,, I believe there are three components that slide out and the tv is just an empty shell in the bottom. For the color wheel you take out the middle section, for the tuners you take out the module on the left You take out 2 screws and then unplug the clips to the circuit board and the whole unit comes out that you need to work with.
There is a screw for the fan which looks like a square plastic piece that sticks out,, then you take out the little screw (2) next to one of the computer like inputs in the back. Also you need to take out the three clips on the back of the unit. Next push out the "L" shaped assembly,, it took me 15 minutes to figure out the bottom section that is discussed is actually the bottom and the side that will slide out.

Collapse -
fixed tv
by Dannyboyee / October 15, 2011 2:12 PM PDT
In reply to: just fixed my tv

So you did not have to reflow the digital board? I sent a letter to samsung hoping they would fix it but it seems i'm going to have to try myself.

Collapse -
your fix worked for me.
by michaelhronas / December 22, 2011 1:40 PM PST
In reply to: just fixed my tv

I figured since I would have to take the board out myself to have it sent for re-flow what the hell and used a 1 inch dowel between the chip and housing, after setting the bolts back and re-attatching all the cables my tv started right up without the slightest hjint of purple haze..It can really save you the forty dollars and just takes a little time to do even if you are not very handy it is not that hard, all you do is take out screws in plain sight and dissconnect cables that can only fit into thier correct slots. Thank you so much. Michael J. Hronas and Family.

Collapse -
DLP HL-R5067w
by MZnova / December 13, 2012 4:33 PM PST
Collapse -
I Fixed my tv also
by Bos-sj / October 23, 2011 11:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Same issues

I did the same thing with a block of wood. When I turned it on I still had the Green screen for about 4-5 minutes, then, and sense then it has worked GREAT.

Collapse -
HL-R5067W problem
by ppickl1 / December 1, 2009 6:34 AM PST

My TV won't power up as in lamp light flashes and the tv lamp is on, the screen stays blank and then the standby temp light comes on.

I would never buy another Samsung product if they don't stand behind there products.

Collapse -
we found this issue to be the digital board
by jasonm1976 / December 1, 2009 7:04 AM PST
In reply to: HL-R5067W problem

we found this issue to be the digital board over at

if you look at the back of your set you should see the lamp lighting up. a reflow of the digital board should fix this issue. check out he charges 40 dollars. we over at home theater shack have had very good luck with the reflow of the solder and then the tv's work again.

203 W Main St
Owosso, MI 48867-2913
(989) 729-6381

Read more: HLR6167WAX/XAA Digital board problems - Page 6 - Home Theater Systems - Electronics and Forum - HomeTheaterShack

Collapse -
How to remove board
by timheuer / July 21, 2010 2:41 PM PDT

Seems like folks having luck with the reflow. I want to give this a try. Problem is I don't consider myself handy. I removed the back panel and am looking at what I think is the digital board, but can't figure out the best way to remove it safely.

Anyone have step by step instructions preferrably with pictures?

Collapse -
what we found out.
by jasonm1976 / December 1, 2009 7:10 AM PST
In reply to: HL-R5067W problem

what we found is the one BGA chip that says samsung dnie has issues with the solder under the chip and after a reflow it fixes the issue. this fixes many issues with the HLR__67W tv's like wont power on like ppickl1 issue. and the green plaid look. tv power cycling over and over, screen going blank with sound and remote doesnt work until the video comes back. and some other issues.

Collapse -
Green Screen Issue
by jimsfastcars / December 1, 2009 7:08 AM PST

I have a HLR5667W that developed the green screen issue 6 months after the extended warranty expired. Don't think a $2400 TV should die after 3-1/2 years. JD Electronics received my board yesterday Nov 30 and I'm waiting to hear from them. Samsung needs to make good on this issue. Some people just can't dismantle these TV's themselves, so they are stuck with an expensive repair bill.

Collapse -
Help us samsung!
by tina714-badtv / December 10, 2009 4:22 AM PST

I bought my 52" LCD 2 years ago & now 4 months after the warrenty has expired i have many vertical multi colored lines running up & down my tv. Samsung wont give me any help or suggestions they told me to buy a new tv. I paid $3,300 for my tv & when i bought it at best buy they said it was the best tv out. $3,300 for 2 years! and they wont help at all! yea i would not reccomend buying a samsung tv to anyone. I have been researching online & it is a common problem, and always happens 2 to 4 months after warrenty. I also loved my tv but they wont tell me what it could be, why it happend, or what to do to prevent it from happening to my nect tv. The lines are there everytime i turn my tv on & sometimes after like 15 minutes the lines go away & sometimes my tv can be on for hours & the lines wont fade away, they flicker like they are trying to but all they can tell me is it will be $1,500 to fix so just buy a new one. Come on we are all loyal costumers who love our tv's & we get no help? Now when i turn it on it also makes a clicking noise & takes a while to start up. Never had any problems with my tv until a few months after warrenty. Help us samsung!

Collapse -
bad practise by Samsung Company.
by zack75074 / July 22, 2010 11:21 AM PDT

I have the same problem and now tech came in told me my DMD board is BAD...if SAMSUNG knew the problem with DLP TV why they sold to us.NOT GOING TO BUY ANOTHER SAMSUNG.

Collapse -
Same issue on my HLR6167
by yzracer14 / December 1, 2009 9:26 PM PST

I too am having these same issue with the TV repeatedly turning off, coming on with no sound, etc. Doing a quick 5 minute scan of forums regarding these TV models easily shows that this is a recurrent problem and easily classified as a product flaw. There is no reason for these TV's to break down like this and Samsung needs to stand behind their product.

Collapse -
hello yzracer14
by jasonm1976 / December 1, 2009 9:52 PM PST

yzracer14 we at home theater shack found this issue to be in the digital board. after a reflow of the solder under the dnie chip the tv works great again. but most tv shops just replace the board. but if you are handy you can send it off and have it repaired for around 40 dollars. by going to that link I gave earlyer.

Collapse -
Thank you
by yzracer14 / December 1, 2009 10:03 PM PST
In reply to: hello yzracer14

I know, I'm the same yzracer14 from home theater shack. I'm just posting my problem here to get the word out as suggested. But thank you.

Collapse -
by jtskinz / December 4, 2009 8:53 AM PST
In reply to: hello yzracer14

Anyone know how to remove the digital board on a HL-R5678W? I am going to be trying the solder repair ($40).

Thanks - Jason

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.