Mac Applications forum

Resolved Question

Different versions of ms office for mac

by sw1975 / January 27, 2013 3:02 AM PST

Hi a really obscure software question.. is it possible to install an 'upgrade' version of ms office for mac on a machine with a newer version already installed than the qualifying version upon which the upgrade is based? The machine in question (air) supports the upgrade cd software and is running a valid version of office 2011 whereas the old 'upgrade' version of office that i'm looking to install is v x which is an upgrade for office 2001. Many thanks, simon

sw1975 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Different versions of ms office for mac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Different versions of ms office for mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by sw1975

Collapse -
Never found that to work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2013 3:04 AM PST

But you could try it and if it fails share this here. There's usually no reason to do this unless it's for some crusty old user that can't accept the new version or LibreOffice.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks a lot for the quick reply
by sw1975 / January 27, 2013 3:36 AM PST

Thanks a lot it's actually for my mother who's used to the old ms word functions for writing/editing. I might give it a go and see if it works and share the results. Thanks very much, simon

Collapse -
Since it's a new machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 4:04 AM PST

I'd stick with the new version or take a run at it with LibreOffice.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
You may find that the version of Office
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 27, 2013 8:29 AM PST

you are trying to use is a PPC version and as such will not run on your MBA.

Office X was certainly before the PPC to Intel changeover

P

Collapse -
Answer
Different versions of ms office for mac
by emmawilliam / March 3, 2013 1:30 PM PST

The full version only allows two installations. The idea is that you have a work and a home machine, and have it installed on both machines.

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove promotional link on 03/04/2013 at 8:12 AM PT

Collapse -
update
by sw1975 / March 8, 2013 1:09 AM PST

Update: Thanks for the replies guys I managed to source a full version of office x for mac and successfully installed it on the MacBook with the help of rosetta and it's running fine now. The os on the mba (10.6.8) was the last last one that also can run the rosetta conversion software. So, success. Thanks a lot. Simon

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.