Samsung

General discussion

Difference between WIS09ABGN and WIS10ABGN

by sameerkalbag / May 3, 2010 3:56 AM PDT

Hi,

Last week I bought a 46" 2010 LED TV (UN46C6500). I need to buy a Samsung Linkstick for wireless connectivity. Could you tell me the difference between the 2009 linkstick (WIS09ABGN) and 2010 (WIS10ABGN)? Will the 09 model work with the 2010 TV?

Also, it is very difficult to find the WIS10ABGN model - isnt Samsung selling it at the retail level yet? All I have seen is the 09 model which I am not sure is compatible with 2010 TVs.

Thanks for your help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Difference between WIS09ABGN and WIS10ABGN
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Difference between WIS09ABGN and WIS10ABGN
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Difference between WIS09ABGN and WIS10ABGN
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 4, 2010 11:33 AM PDT

sameerkalbag,

I apologize for the confusion and I appreciate the inquiry.

Availability may very by retailer, but the WIS09ABGN will work with your UN46C6500 television. I just tested my WIS09ABGN on a similar model here, and it works just the same.

--HDTech

Collapse -
sorely lacking information on Samsung website (and more)
by seanlawn / April 7, 2011 1:01 PM PDT

Hi HD Tech

I just purchased the PS50C7000. It's got a great picture, though I specifically asked the salesperson if it was wireless and was told that it was. What I was not told is that I have to buy more bits to make it wireless. When I am sold a car and ask if it is a braking model, I do not want to find out at the lights that the brakes are sold separately.

I think this was an innocent mistake on the salesman's part but this reflects on Samsung. And Samsung take that risk of leaving a bad taste by advertising it is a wireless model but not quite including the wireless component in the package.

To add to the confusion, this thing that has been pointed out by others here. The instruction manual informs me on page 29 in a "Note" that "You must use the "Samsung Wireless LAN Adapter" (WIS09ABGN, WIS09ABGN2, WIS10ABGN) to use a wireless network. If only the salesperson had told me this and that it is not included in the package. Also, obviously, which of these and what is the difference?

Even you don't seem to be able to explain the difference between these. Which one is needed for which television and for which services? Do I actually need more than one depending on how many wireless services I'm connecting to and what types? The information is dreadfully inadequately provided by Samsung.

Even the samsung website fails to give details about the wis09abgn2 and the wis10abgn. (See for instance http://www.samsung.com/au/function/search/espsearchResult.do?keywords=wis10abgn&input_keyword=wis10abgn)

It boils down to this. If the instruction manual refers to these components, good service would mean that the Samsung website would provide complete and accurate user friendly comparative descriptions of all these three.

Your feedback is welcome.

Collapse -
I would have to agree.
by JHill205 / March 7, 2012 1:17 AM PST

I bought my 55" TV at Sears. I was all excited to have actually stepped up and bought the SmartTV and couldn't wait to get home and connect it. Much like the person above stated, the salesperson never mentioned that I would need the adapter. Not that it would have been that big a deal at that point, however it would be nice if it is touted as being wireless if the adapter would have been included, but had I known, I could have got it at the time of purchase. At first I thought that it was just missing from the packaging or that maybe on of the my kids that were "helping" me get everything ready misplaced it. After much stress and reading the book again, I found that it was not included. Disheartening to say the least. Then, as stated above, what is the difference between the different adapters???

Collapse -
I would have to agree.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 13, 2012 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: I would have to agree.

JHill205,

I'm sorry you weren't informed of this at the time of purchase. We work with retailers to stock the LinkSticks so that they're available, but to some degree, it's up to them to explain that.

The difference is that one was bundled with Blu-Ray players a while back and were limited to specific models and weren't all interchangeable, if my memory serves me correctly. The ones available at retail today should work with all LinkStick enabled devices, including TVs, Blu-Rays and Home Theater systems.

--HDTech

Collapse -
40" 2010 3D LED TV, UN40C7000WFXZA, 3D BD-C5900, Linkstick?
by chemyst9 / August 23, 2010 4:34 PM PDT

Last week I bought a 40" 2010 3D LED TV (UN40C7000WFXZA) and 3D Blueray BD-C5900. The Manual for both list Linkstick WIS09ABGN. However, the 3D LED TV lists all three linksticks (WIS09ABGN, WIS09ABGN2, WIS10ABGN).

I bought a Samsung Linkstick for wireless connectivity model# WIS09ABGN. Could you tell me the difference between the 2009 linkstick (WIS09ABGN, WIS09ABGN2, and 2010 (WIS10ABGN)? Will the 09 models work with this 2010 3D LED TV and 3D Blueray?

Do I need to by two linkstick (WIS09ABGN), then connect one to TV and the other to the blueray to keep from switching linkstick when either unit is viewed?

Collapse -
I had to phone usa to find out,
by kirandkn27 / November 30, 2010 10:23 PM PST

the B model is 2009 and the C model is 2010 it will not work I have phone SAMSUNG head office to find out and if they can not get one they will order from USA.
the Samsungpart.co.uk and phone number is 0844 573 6996.

Collapse -
I had to phone usa to find out
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 1, 2010 2:11 PM PST

kirandkn27,

I don't know why that information was given to you. The U.S. doesn't have the WIS10ABGN LinkStick. All of the 2009 and 2010 models work with the WIS09ABGN LinkStick. Televisions and Blu-Rays all use the same LinkStick.

To answer chernyst9's question, if you want both units to have access, they can be used separately (one at a time), but one LinkStick will not supply Internet or data to another device. So they would have to be swapped.

--HDTech

Collapse -
compatible?
by tjbkmu / December 4, 2010 8:17 AM PST

I just bought the LN46C650 and I love it. When I look on the Samsung website it says the WIS09ABGN isn't compatible with my tv. Can you confirm if it works before I spend $80?

Collapse -
Same issue...compatible?
by stastu / December 4, 2010 10:37 AM PST
In reply to: compatible?

We have the same problem. We just bought the LN40C560J2FXZ. Manual says to use adapter (WIS09ABGN, WIS09ABGN2, WIS10ABGN)... great, but which one? Samsung website says the WIS09ABGN isn't compatible with this tv. Can you tell me which one is compatible?

Collapse -
compatible?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 5, 2010 12:49 PM PST

tjbkmu,

What region are you inquiring from?

I'm not aware of the existence of the WIS10ABGN in the market as of yet, and the WIS09ABGN models are compatible with 2010 U.S. models.

Where is the website that says it is not compatible?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Compatible
by tjbkmu / December 5, 2010 10:22 PM PST

I'm in the US. And it's actually the samsung website that says it's not compatible. I went to the product page and it let's you put in your tv model to see if it's compatible. I don't know why it says it's not

Collapse -
Samsung wireless LAN adapter
by lenchristie / December 30, 2010 3:59 AM PST

There seems a great deal of confusion and mis-information about these products and as a user I am at a loss. Spent 35min on the phone with Samsung support and was told I needed WIS09ABGN2 for my TV (UN46C8000XFXZ), however the Samsung website and these discussions say it is not compatible. Is there anyone out there with the correct info about these devices? It seems important since other manufacturer's adapters are NOT compatible. HELP someone! (wireless router Cisco Valet plus M-20)

Collapse -
wireless lan adapter for UE32D5520RKXXU
by Mia_ve / November 30, 2011 4:38 AM PST

Hi,
I recently buy a UE32D5520RKXXU, so I think 2011 UK model, and I'm wondering whitch wireless lan adaptater I need to buy? and where I can buy it?
many thanks

Collapse -
wireless lan adapter for UE32D5520RKXXU
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 1, 2011 7:24 AM PST

Mia_ve,

Collapse -
Same issue...compatible
by stastu / December 4, 2010 10:42 AM PST

We have the same problem. We just bought the LN40C560J2FXZ. Manual says to use adapter (WIS09ABGN, WIS09ABGN2, WIS10ABGN)... great, but which one? Samsung website says the WIS09ABGN isn't compatible with this tv. Can you tell me which one is compatible?

Collapse -
Samsung needs to provide support for its products
by Jacurta / December 31, 2010 4:39 AM PST

Not knowing this issue, I bought a new led tv un55c6500v from samsung, I really liked the tv over other models because it offered internet access.
best buy didn't have the wireless adapter for it at the time.

so i went to another bestbuy, and after checking they told me that the adapter they have is not compatible with the tv I just bought???
the one they are selling is the WIS09ABGN

the one compatible with my TV is WIS09ABGN2

the 2 at the end is very important here.

so I started looking for this adapter at bestbuy.com, they didn't have it.

going to samsung.com:

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs-accessories/WIS09ABGNX/XAA

i typed in my tv model and it says it is not compatible???

went to FAQ and they said that the wis09abgn2 is for blueray players only.

called customer service and they told me the opposit, but they could not tell me where i can buy it??? they asked me to call J & J ????

I am calling samsung customer service to get answers about their product and they are sending me to some retailer?????

I am going to try today to locate one, and if I don't find it I am returning this $2000 TV back to bestbuy for lack of support and unavailability of accessories, and I will never buy Samsung products again ever.

Collapse -
Is wireless really worth all this headaches?
by dsb17 / October 15, 2011 10:38 PM PDT

After reading all the posts and threads, I am going to the home improvement store and get so cable concealers and run wires. Just too much headaches. For $80 or so I think I can get at least over 200 linear feet worth of channels and wire. All the best to those who want to continue to go wireless. I salute you.

Collapse -
Cheap options to cover for the missing samsung wifi adapter
by ghaziw / June 26, 2012 8:28 AM PDT

Hey Guys,

I bought a 46" 5000 series led tv. I was aware that it needed a wifi adapter. so let me spare you some search, here's some options you have:
- Use an Ethernet WiFi adapter, it connects to your wireless network and has an rj45 you can plug to your tv
- Use any wifi dongle that works with the rt2870 drive, this might require changing the usb dongle to make it look like the Samsung one (for tech savvy guys)
- Use a powerline network adapter, this way you can use the power plug next to the PC in order to pull an Ethernet cable to your tv without have cable all over the place.
- You can also buy the Samsung usb dongle if you think they deserve 80$ for it.

Cheers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.