Computer Help

Question

Difference between VGA and DVI Cables for Monitors

by DanPatrick / August 10, 2011 10:14 AM PDT

What is the difference between VGA and DVI cables? If you can use either between your computer and the monitor, is one better than the other? Does one deliver better or higher performance than the other?

Thanks, Dan

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Difference between VGA and DVI Cables for Monitors
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Difference between VGA and DVI Cables for Monitors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
To answer you have to tell more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2011 10:22 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
DVI vs. VGA
by Flatworm / August 12, 2011 10:26 PM PDT

VGA cables, also sometimes called "15-pin," are the way we used to connect our monitors to our computers back in the Pleistocene. Its been around since 1987, and its standard was superseded in 1999 by DVI. VGA cables have fifteen pins arranged in three rows of five.

DVI cables, at least the ones supplied with virtually all consumer monitors (DVI-D Single-Link) have two banks of nine pins each and one flat paddle-type pin.

There is a VERY noticeable difference in the quality of your display with higher resolution monitors when a DVI cable is used. While there are specifications in existence for several different types of DVI connectors, in real-world practice for consumer PC monitors and video cards only DVI-D is in use, so don't let the existence of other standards confuse you. It is highly likely that DVI-D will remain the standard for many years to come; it supports resolutions only available today on extremely expensive professional/scientific monitors (albeit in the "Dual-Link" configuration of 21 pins plus one flat paddle), which is backward-compatible, for higher framing rates).

By the way, with my EVGA nVidia GTX 460, a fairly low-end card, and my ViewSonic 27" 1080p monitor, I get far better results with DVI than I do with HDMI.

DVI cables are DEFINITELY better. VGA cables are prone to crosstalk and other artifacts that can muddy or misalign a picture on your screen, problems that DVI cables don't exhibit.

I am pretty sure that if you change to a DVI cable you will never change back.

Collapse -
Definitely worth replacing VGA Chords for DVI chords
by rjsteinert / February 24, 2012 10:47 AM PST
In reply to: DVI vs. VGA

I'm a "whatever works" kind of guy. But I was honestly SHOCKED when I saw the difference that a DVI chord makes over VGA. Text is so much more clear.

Collapse -
Better at what resolution?
by RickyC09 / March 7, 2013 10:54 AM PST
In reply to: DVI vs. VGA

I have two monitors both at 1920x1080 resolution one connected with a VGA and the other with a DVI-D. I see no difference at all with either of the two cables. Is it more noticeable playing games or something? basic use I see no difference.

Collapse -
Answer
It's the interfaces, not the cables.
by Zouch / August 12, 2011 11:23 PM PDT

Hi Dan,
when I got a replacement monitor for my HP desktop (well, actually, a converted server), an LG 22" widescreen, it came with both VGA and DVI ports and cables for both. Initially, since the machine didn't have a DVI connection, I just used the VGA connectors and, of course, compared to the old monitor, it looked just great. However, as an ex-server, the on-board graphics capability of the machine was limited and so I fitted a new graphics card with 512 MB memory and both VGA and DVI ports. Comparing the VGA connection on the new card, the difference was very significant but when I switched to using the DVI ports, the display was even better and seemed more responsive (subjective, no way to measure).

So, would I go out of my way to replace a VGA monitor with DVI for no other reason? As Bob says, probably not worth it. But if I was replacing the monitor anyway, yes, I would not consider one that didn't offer DVI. That said, if the machine you are connecting it to doesn't have a DVI port (e.g. a laptop possibly), then you would stick with VGA.

You could go along to your local computer shop and see if they can demonstrate the same monitor on both VGA and DVI to help you make up your mind.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
Just put it this way,
by LucJPatenaude / February 25, 2012 5:52 PM PST

On all latest(newest) desktop PCs, as of 'Right Now', VGA ports will no longer exist in the Monitor's connectivity. And, monitors + HD Display Screens will no longer provide VGA ports either.

Only DVI will exist and, quite possibly, Dual DVI connectivity might be strongly considered by many manufacturers of desktop machines as a standard packaging + pre-configuration of such unit. The Home main entertaiment and productivity environment is, now, very strongly, put in consideration. The SOHO world is quickly rising to become the predominant reality of everyday's computing needs.

The technicians call it: 'The much faster cable connection for today's demand of high speed data transit'. And, Engineers call it:' VGA had its time. Now, lets have way better'.

Getting my point? Do hope so. In my case, the cables might come within the newest PC purchase. Do not think I, will have any problems with that kind of transition.

Hope that Spring season comes anytime soon. Wink

Collapse -
Answer
Big difference when connecting monitor to macbook air
by awalling / May 9, 2013 11:34 PM PDT

I noticed a huge difference when I switched from a VGA cable to a DVI cable for the external monitor for my Macbook Air 11". Of course I had to buy another adaptor from Apple to make the DVI connection. I have a 19" Samsung monitor I'm using to help expand the small macbook air 11" screen and using the VGA cable I wasn't able to set the options on my mac to the ideal setting for my monitor 1440x900 60hz. That option simply wasn't available in the options on my mac. With the VGA cable the image was fairly fuzzy and kindof hurt my eyes, not very crisp or clear. After buying the adaptor and connecting the DVI cable I was able to choose the 1440x900 setting and I got a much crisper and clearer image. I was worried this monitor wouldn't work, but just by switching the cable it is working great now.

Collapse -
Answer
DVI Vs VGA from technician perspective
by alongolo / June 17, 2013 4:37 PM PDT

Hi, while DVI deliver better quality it is also tend to wear much more. Many times I was called to fix a screen and because there was no signal and it was actually the VDI cable that had to be replaced. I usually replace it with a VGA cable because in my company the employees don't work with high definition (don'y worry, I don't get money for it)

Collapse -
That has more to do with
by Jimmy Greystone / June 17, 2013 6:26 PM PDT

That has more to do with the digital nature of DVI. Either it works or it doesn't, there's essentially no in between like you can get with VGA. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the VGA cables fail at more or less the same rate because users will jam computers against walls or something and bend cables at all manner of angles they weren't meant to bend in.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.