TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Difference between speaker and amplifier?

by mohitshewaramani / December 22, 2005 4:10 PM PST

Is there any difference between a speaker and amplifier? If so, what?
A lot of the online stores I visit put them in the same category without distinguishing between them at all.
Any help would be appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Difference between speaker and amplifier?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Difference between speaker and amplifier?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Kind'a easy. . .
by Coryphaeus / December 22, 2005 9:19 PM PST

The speaker is where the sound comes from. The amplifier is where the sound comes from. Hmmmmm.

Speakers are those things that make sound. The amplifier is what delivers sound to the speakers. Amps are usually radios and speakers are what you plug into the amp/receiver to hear the sound.

You need both to hear sound.

Does your PC have sound? The speakers plug into the sound card which in this case would loosly be called the amplifier. But todays PCs only deliver the sound in a "pre-amp" level and the speakers have the full amp built in.

Collapse -
NOT speaker/amplifier....I meant reciever/amplifier
by mohitshewaramani / December 23, 2005 3:36 AM PST
In reply to: Kind'a easy. . .

I'm soooo stupid. Hahaha....soo sorry for that random, stupid question.
I meant what is the difference between a reciever and a amplifier as most stores group these into the same categories.
Again, VERY VERY SORRY for the stupid mistake.

Collapse -
No problem. . .
by Coryphaeus / December 23, 2005 5:00 AM PST
Collapse -
Some info on the ''dot''. . .
by Coryphaeus / December 23, 2005 5:07 AM PST
In reply to: No problem. . .

Speaker systems today a called X.1, or (X) dot one. The X means the number of speakers and the dot one means the sub-woofer. So, a 5.1 (five dot one) system would include left and right front (2), left and right rear (2), center (1), and a sub-soofer. Some amps (with radios included) have outputs for 7.1 and 9.1. Totally overkill if you ask me. But some guys need bigger, uh, or more, uh, speakers. Compensating?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) The plain truth is you only have ears. 7.1, 9.1, say what?
by Riverledge / December 24, 2005 5:37 AM PST
Collapse -
by Riverledge / December 24, 2005 5:53 AM PST
Collapse -
by sirroundsound / December 23, 2005 7:35 AM PST

As mentioned above, a "stereo" or "surround" receiver will have both a tuner (AM/FM) and amplification built into one box. Receivers also offer all needed connections and switching for the equipment you may want to hook up such as CD, DVD, VCR etc. A simple all in one solution for most systems.
Amplifiers do one thing, amplify. They are often expensive, and are geared toward someone putting together a higher end system. Some receivers have pre outputs which allow you to connect the receiver to a bigger and better amplifier. Otherwise to make an amplifier work you will need a pre-amp, which is similar to a receiver, without the amplifiers.
Many pre amp's do not have tuners built in, once again the audiophile choice, getting a separate tuner along with separate components means you can put together a system made up of the best parts your money can buy, the goal being to extract and play back all the sound that was recorded in the best possible way.

Collapse -
by RoadRunner6 / December 23, 2005 4:03 PM PST

RECEIVER: Consists of an amplifier, pre-amp and tuner. Many modern A/V (audio/video) receivers contain pre-amps that include home theater signal porcessing circuitry.

AMPLIFIER: Frequently called a power amplifier. Mainly amplifies the signal to the speakers.

PRE-AMP: Processes the unamplified signal ie: balance, base, treble, volume, input switching, Dolby processing, etc.

INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER: Combination of pre-amp and amplifier.

PRE-AMP/TUNER: Receiver minus the power amp.

TUNER: Radio, ie: AM, FM

Hope this rather simplified explanation helps.

Collapse -
by mohitshewaramani / December 24, 2005 4:17 AM PST

Okay, I'm pretty sure I get the difference now. Thanks guys!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.