Computer Help forum

General discussion

Did not assign network address to computer

by norway000x / June 9, 2010 5:37 AM PDT

Hello,

I've been trying to solve this problem my self the whole day. I've tried so many things!!! Frustrating! Thought I could do it, but now I given up. I'm not a very tech-savy dude when it comes to network settings and so on.

I just left home for two months. And I need my laptop to connect to the internet for me to work.

At my destination they have a Wireless network I'm currently trying to connect to. The ruter is a D-link.

I have ASUS F5R Series notebook.
And I run Windows XP.

I've done a "ipconfig /all" on both my laptop (the one with the problem) and on the father in the house's laptop (working correctly, the one I'm using now).

HERE's the "ipconfig /all" info from his PC:
NB: Bear in mind this PC has a norwegian operating system, so some info is in norwegian, but if you know what your doing, you probably understand what's what. Please do...
----- START ------------
Microsoft Windows [Versjon 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. Med enerett.

C:\Users\Gjest>ipconfig /all

Windows IP-konfigurasjon

Vertsnavn . . . . . . . . . . . : Gjest-PC
Prim

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Did not assign network address to computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Did not assign network address to computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So....
by Papa Echo / June 9, 2010 9:47 AM PDT

your problem now is that you can connect to the Network, but your browsers do not work ? Is that report on ipconfig /all on your laptop done in this condition ?

Collapse -
Solved
by norway000x / June 9, 2010 10:21 AM PDT
In reply to: So....

I solved it.

This is what I did:

Start --> Run --> CMD
In the dos window that opens I write (to reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults):
netsh int ip reset reset.log

Then I write (to reset WINSOCET entries to installation defaults):
netsh winsock reset catalog

Then rebooted the machine...

After 5 min suddenly the laptop gets connected without me even doing anything with the it.

I open up the browser (IE), but can't load google.com or any other site. Did not work in Firefox either... I had connection, but no Internet! Again...

Then I clicked on "diagnostics" (in the IE-browser) and followed the wizard. It told me that the wireless network key on this computer did not match the key settings on the wireless router.

I've now checked the key on both the router an on my laptop. They match!

And now everything is working :-D

For thouse with the same problem and D-Link router:

Locate the router in your Control panel --> network --> right click on the router and open webadress for that router (should be a IP address). Then login to it with the u/p. ALL D-LINK routers has the same default u/p Happy

Thank Gog this hell is over!

Thanks for your quick reply dude, but I fixed it my self after almost 20 hours Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.