Download.com Site Feedback

Resolved Question

Did CNET ditch wrapped installers for the downloads?

by jackuars / May 6, 2012 6:35 PM PDT

Today I was downloading softwares from your site, and I have found that most of the downloads that I did, was available via CNET Secure Download, without any wrapped installers. Are you in the process of removing wrapped installers for your downloads? Or is it just because freeware authors compelled to remove wrapped installers for their softwares. Till recently, all the softwares that were available without wrapped installers were only available via "Direct Download Link" but now they are available directly through "CNET Secure Download" . What's happening?

jackuars has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Did CNET ditch wrapped installers for the downloads?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Did CNET ditch wrapped installers for the downloads?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by jackuars

Collapse -
jackuars....
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / May 7, 2012 5:45 AM PDT

I believe not all of them have them... some are direct downloads and some have the wrapper.

I don't think the wrappers are going away at least I wasn't informed of it. I get some clarification and ask the Download.com team.

Cheers,
-Lee

Collapse -
Thanks
by jackuars / May 7, 2012 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: jackuars....

Thanks. Will be awaiting for your reply Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Download.com Installer
by peterbutler Download.com staff / May 8, 2012 1:38 AM PDT

The Download.com Installer is in active development and will continue to improve its experience on Download.com.

There are two possible reasons why you are not seeing any products that use the Download.com Installer.

Reason 1: You may have disabled the Download.com Installer in your CNET Profile at http://www.cnet.com/profile/. On the right-hand column under My Account Settings, there is a link titled "Update My Download.com Preferences," which spawns a modal (javascript pop-up) that lets you turn off the Download.com Installer permanently.

Reason 2: You may have been downloading products that have opted out of the Download.com Installer. You can read more about the opt-out process in the Installer FAQ for software publishers on our self-service publisher site Upload.com.

I hope I was able to answer your question.

- Peter

Collapse -
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
by cnetdownloaderhate / May 10, 2012 2:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Download.com Installer

Reason 1: When I saw this title, I was thinking there might be good news that cnet was going to stop spreading spyware... Sad to hear that's not the case.

Reason 2: Stop lying to your users about "improving" anything when referring to the spyware installer.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.