Internet Services Providers

General discussion

Dial-up to Internet freezes computer upon connection

by Windrider6 / January 20, 2007 5:34 PM PST

I'm a computer tech and have encountered the same problem on several of my clients' computers. This is a dial-up problem in Windows XP, and has occurred on several different machines that had different configurations.

Dial-up to Internet, and it freezes up the computer for awhile. Not totally frozen, just cannot open any new processes. Eventually the freeze-up resolves itself, and all the processes/programs I tried to start suddenly all start at once.

I've spent months trying to solve this problem. Now I'm asking for help! Please!

I've finally discovered what starts the problem: Running the Network Setup Wizard.

If I start with a clean re-installation of Windows XP & software, the dial-up Internet works fine. Then I run the Network Setup Wizard, so I can network the client's computer with mine over my network (router connecting multiple computers and high-speed Internet together), so I can transfer large amounts of data back and forth with ease. THAT'S when the dial-up problem starts. Once I have run the Windows XP Network Setup Wizard, anything I try to do to clear up the freeze-up problem with the dial-up will inevitably not work in the long run. Stuff I've tried may work a few times (giving me false hope), but then the freeze-up problem reoccurs.

When connected to high-speed Internet using the network card, the Internet connection works fine.

Thus, I'M THE ONE who has caused this freeze-up problem on my clients' computers, by running the Windows XP Network Setup Wizard.

What I've eliminated as causing the problem:

It is not hardware. I've confirmed that the modems work fine. There are no conflicts with any hardware. I've even cleared the BIOS by discharging it, and reconfiguring the BIOS.

Of course, I've disconnected my network from the computer(s) in question.

It is not any non-Microsoft software. The problem is independent of firewalls, anti-virus, anti-spyware, modem helpers, and all other non-Microsoft software.

It's not the Windows Firewall. It does not have any effect on the problem.

What I've tried to do since learning that it has to do with the Windows XP Network Setup Wizard:

Rerunning the Network Setup Wizard, and choosing any and all other options, including, "This computer connects directly to the Internet. I do not have a network yet." Logically, this would be the correct choice, but it, like all the other choices, will not solve the problem.

Internet Properties: Connections: LAN Settings: Automatically detect settings - Changing this to be on or off. This seemed to have an effect, but eventually proved not to.

Internet Properties: Connections: Dial-up Settings: Automatically detect settings - Changing this to be on or off. Again, at first this seemed to solve the problem, but then problem came back.

I tried disabling the Network card in the computer. No effect.

I tried deleting the dial-up connection, and creating it new again. No effect.

Properties for the dial-up connection: Networking: Internet Protocol (TCP/IP): Properties: Advanced: General Tab: "Use default gateway on remote network". Turning it off results in no freeze-up, but no actual connections to the Internet either.

Properties for the dial-up connection: Networking: Internet Protocol (TCP/IP): Properties: Advanced: General Tab: "Use IP header compression". Turning it off or on has no effect.

Properties for the dial-up connection: Networking: Internet Protocol (TCP/IP): Properties: Advanced: WINS Tab: Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. No effect either way.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it. Please? I'm going nuts here, trying to figure it out.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dial-up to Internet freezes computer upon connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dial-up to Internet freezes computer upon connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a thought. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 20, 2007 7:42 PM PST

What have you done in IE, Tools, Internet Options, Connections tab? Once you have the dial-up set up and all software transferred, as in the PC is ready for the customer, make sure the option "Always dial my default connection" is selected and set it as default. If it's not, the PC is confused as it had been using a LAN and now you're trying to use dial-up.

When I work on my kid's PCs on dial up, I connect their PC to my network and I have to choose Never, then I'm able to use my broadband to get major updates instead of dial-up. When I'm done I put it back.

HTH,

Wayne

There are 10 types of people who understand binary; those that do and those that don't.
Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and
digital data, internet connections, spyware removal, and download free software.

Collapse -
More
by Windrider6 / January 21, 2007 11:00 AM PST
In reply to: Just a thought. . .

Yep. Tried every option there. No effect.

I didn't mention the very first things I tried either: moving the modems to different PCI slots, other modems, new modems. None had an effect.

I'm sure that there are other things I've tried, and haven't mentioned here yet. Please don't let that stop anyone from making suggestions! I'm desperate!

Collapse -
Problem is ongoing - details
by Windrider6 / January 30, 2007 3:15 PM PST
Collapse -
Problem resolved
by Windrider6 / February 2, 2007 3:56 PM PST
Collapse -
Thank you for this answer!
by ibeleave / April 27, 2009 5:19 AM PDT

Thank you, bless you many times!! You have described my problem in every detail. I have searched high and low for the answer to this problem, but it was difficult, because it was not a true "freeze" or lockup, but a partial freeze. I will add that even trying to open the task manager failed. You don't know how many things I uninstalled trying to find the culprit.

Just for reference, I ran the Network Connection Wizard in trying to set up an ad hoc home wireless network, so the Microsoft TCP/IP version 6 was installed under the wireless network properties. I never even realized it was there, in addition to the regular TCP/IP protocol. I did look at the protocols to see if something odd was there, but never suspected this, because I assumed I needed TCP/IP to connect to the internet - not something I should uninstall.

Again, thank you so much!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.