Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Dial up to a domain

by ehunt32 / July 24, 2011 11:37 AM PDT

Please for give I have googled until i am googled out. How do i set up a dial up connection to log on to my domain at work ? Instructions would greatly be appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dial up to a domain
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dial up to a domain
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2011 11:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Dial up to a domain

While connecting and getting a modem to work is quite a feat today (costs are more than an internet link today) I need to know what this dialup is to provide. Be detailed about this log on.
Bob

Collapse -
Is this enough
by ehunt32 / July 24, 2011 12:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Tell more.

No problem, the users have laptops where they have orders to transmit rather then wireless they use a dialog phone line. and dial into the machine with the modem which is a desktop on our domain does this help?

Collapse -
We did that years ago.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2011 12:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Is this enough

But we had to craft an app to send the order file to the right folder and well, you can get dial up working but I fear you are addressing a portion of the "system."

You've progressed from "log on" to "send in the order." That's quite a leap!

This is like a machine with many moving parts that we get to put together.

Take my advice and have them email it in or place it via your web server. That way any dial up internet will do.

Here's a primer on dial up services on Windows 2008 SERVER -> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd637783%28WS.10%29.aspx

Bob

Collapse -
Not what i need
by ehunt32 / July 24, 2011 1:50 PM PDT
In reply to: We did that years ago.

I need instructions to set up a dial up connection for windows xp pro into a domain there should be something easy in the setup i am just missing it? thats what i need help with..

Collapse -
Dial up to a domain server is a few chapters in the book.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2011 12:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Not what i need

I think I see where you are going here. You want to avoid the 4 or more chapters in the books about setting up dial in services in Windows Servers.

Remember that this is one very small text box so I'll summarize as much as I can then suggest you go back to the Windows Server Administrator books for the hard core parts.

Again, you see folk think this stuff should be easy and just a few steps for what you asked, it's many chapters in the books.

1. Install the modem folk will dial into.
2. Setup remote access in Windows Server.
3. Test.

That's the short version. This is the how to forum so any more depth and you need a consultant or call Microsoft.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.