Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Dial-Up speed problem! Need expert advise.

by karansawan / December 22, 2008 12:01 AM PST

Hello everybody,

I have a simple problem (well, not so simple actually).

I have a dail-up connection which the I.S.P says is 75kbps.

Sometimes, when I start a download by using any download accelerator or with browser native download manager, i get a speed of around 165 kbps and sometimes even above but with each second, it comes down and becomes stable around 7 or 8 kbps.

Why cant the speed remain stable around 165 kbps?

I have a UTStarcom UT-300R2 modem with Reliance Broadband connection in India.

Please tell me any solution.

I am an expert guy so if you want me to tweak some advanced settings or anything lke that, don't hesitate.

Any help would be appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dial-Up speed problem! Need expert advise.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dial-Up speed problem! Need expert advise.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The answer will not fit into this space.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2008 12:05 AM PST

The "burst" speed you see can't be maintained. It's all about the data and how things work. I can't find a way to compress that into this small box but as it is, what it is and more all looks good from here.

Collapse -
Still I have a doubt.
by karansawan / December 22, 2008 12:11 AM PST

Hi friend, actually I posted this thread because I have seen people recieving great speeds like 300 kbps on theri dial-up connections.

So, I wondered why can't I? Especially, when my connection has the ability to reach that speed.

Still looking for solutions.

By the way thanks for your advise,

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2008 12:29 AM PST
In reply to: Still I have a doubt.

You may have to ask them what modem they used as well as any 'accelerator' they use. There is that old PROPEL software that compresses on the server side but that is far too much to type about here in this small space.

56 kilobit (UNCOMPRESSED!!!) is the norm, what is supported and you will see multiples of that under the right circumstances with uncompressed data.

I'll stop here as only those that don't want to research this area will keep asking.

Collapse -
Let's try real simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2008 12:44 AM PST

Let's say you move a ZIP file across your dial up connection.

If you had software to unpack that and push the unpacked content across the virtual serial link, you could see a higher bit rate than what the actual link supports.

Hopefully this is enough of an explainer why you see bursts of speed. It's almost a bad decision to report these speeds to the end user since it most often ends badly with some feeling hurt over having to learn so much.

Collapse -
Dial Up?
by ramusson / December 24, 2008 7:05 PM PST
In reply to: Let's try real simple.

You are using a ADSL modem, so it's really not a DialUp connection. In my understanding, DialUp refers to connecting thru' a normal phone line and the speed is <= 56 Kbps.

Your ISP says it's a 75 Kbps link and expecting it to perform continuosly at higher speeds is not possible.

Your friends may be getting higher speeds either because of a different plan of the ISP or a different ISP like BSNL which support speeds upto 2 Mbps.

Collapse -
by ramusson / December 24, 2008 7:10 PM PST
In reply to: Dial Up?

You are using a ADSL modem, so it's really not a DialUp connection. In my understanding, DialUp refers to connecting thru' a normal phone line and the speed is =< 56kbps.

Your ISP says your link is 75 kbps ans one cannot expect higher speeds persistently, only occasional bursts.

Friends getting higher speeds may be because of a different plan subscribed to or a different ISP.

Collapse -
Dialup connection speeds
by ghettovision / February 5, 2009 1:23 PM PST

Dialup internet access has a max speed of 56kbps so if you think you are getting faster speeds not posssible, especially in india as it has poorly maintained phone lines. If you have ADSL (unlikely as only 5% of the phonelines in India would be capable of supporting dsl) you should call you isp as you has a issue with the dsl connection.

Collapse -
by ghettovision / February 5, 2009 1:32 PM PST

After further research the modem you stated in you post is a ADSL 2+ modem with a max speed of 25mbps on a ADSL 2+ equipment. Your issue of unstable speed connections means you could have a couple of problems, most likely poor line quality, bad adsl equipment, failing modem. I would suggest you call you isp as there is no tweaking that you can do to a dsl modem to increase you speed or stablize it as bandwith is controlled by the ISP.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.