Networking & Wireless

General discussion

dial up router

by richardandchristi / July 12, 2004 1:23 PM PDT

I am trying to set up my home network and I have dial up ISP. Live out in the sticke far enough that cable/dsl may never make it.
Does anyone make a router for dial up?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dial up router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dial up router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: dial up router
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2004 1:38 AM PDT
In reply to: dial up router

The market seems to be too small for such. But let me share that we took a 486dx100 with 8 megabytes of RAM, an ISA modem, a network card, video card (no hard disk) and booted up Freesco. It worked.

http://www.freesco.org/

My bet is that you can find the needed parts to make your own.

bob

Collapse -
by Aquila_Episode / November 5, 2004 11:30 AM PST

Hi, I've been lookin for one, too. Netgear says there model FR328S will work on a dial-up, if you are wanting to go Wireless or Ethernet. Then use a WG111 on computer via USB port, for wireless. If Ethernet use FA120.
Check out there sight for more info.

Collapse -
by matt02429 / November 11, 2004 2:23 AM PST
In reply to: Re: dial up router

Its gunna be veerrrrryyyy slow... if you cant get cable or dsl id try sattelite... otherwise id build my own using an old computer and smooth wall (www.smoothwall.org)
as long as you have all of your computers networked to gether all you need to do is connact via dial up using 1 of the computers and then share your internet connection with the rest of your network.. the computer that is connected to the internet is going to be the server. theres an article about smoothwall on cnet. (http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10165_7-5465494-1.html?tag=lnav)
good luck

Collapse -
by larrybell / November 19, 2004 9:54 AM PST

Yes there is someone that makes a router that should be able to be used for a dialup connection.

I have an Asante FR3004LC Broadband ethernet router with a 10/100 switch and a built in printer server. It also has a built in COM port for an external modem. With the supplied software, you can access a printer attached to the router from any computer in the network.

And the manual indicates that if the Broadband Internet connection goes down, the router is suppose to fail over to an external modem for a dial-up connection. I dont have an external modem, so I haven't tried the dial-up abilities. But I presume that you could initiate a dialup connection from any of the computers on the router. Or at least if you get one started, all the computers on the router should be able to share it. But the more computers sharing a dial-up connection, the SLOOOOOWWWEEEERRRRR it will be.

Ebay has 2 of these routers for sale as I write this. But I'm not sure they make them anymore. I couldn't find them on the Asante.com website, only on Ebay. But I like mine. Having the built in print server is nice.

Good luck.

Collapse -
You can still buy this type of dialup router, even in 2005!.
by BloodyL / February 6, 2005 4:51 AM PST
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005NBR6/sr=1-1/qid=1107722034/ref=sr_1_1/104-0444819-5597525?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A9B09ZK9BZJQ6&n=10931451&s=merchant&v=glance

A good many years ago I purchased an SMC 7004BR broadband Barricade router with dialup fallback, I have used the dialup with great success several times over the years and it works great.
If the router loses and cannot regain an IP address on the broadband side it will automatically flip over to dialup and use the settings you have already input, allowing all machines on the LAN side to access the net regardless of the connection type.

Basically I have the same router as larrybell except that is is marketed by SMC and the one I have linked to at amazon is an updated version.
Collapse -
by freddpa / December 2, 2004 1:31 AM PST

3COM makes what is known as a LAN modem. You can connect 4 or more pcs to this modem via ethernet. You configure by accessing the modem via your browser. Once configured any browser opening will trigger a connection to your ISP. The model is 3C886A. One hitch.. it is discontinued, however at least one vendor has them on pricewatch.com. Another company makes a router that could be set up to do what you want. It is www.multitech.com model RF102S.

Collapse -
Fairly aged post. let's add the Airport by Apple too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2004 2:21 AM PST

It has modem support too.

Bob

Collapse -
by jnelson95747 / December 2, 2004 5:08 AM PST

In Windows XP and possibly other Windows, the most cost effective way if you all ready have a network is to go into your Internet Options in the Control Panel, open the Settings of the Dial-up connection you want to share, click the Properties button, and go to the Advanced tab. Check the box that says Share Internet Connection. This will allow the internet connection to be used by all computers on you local network, given that the connection and the computer with the modem is up and running.

Collapse -
XP sharing
by dmonroe / February 16, 2005 10:22 PM PST

This works fine if your ISP doesn't charge extra for simultaneous access by more than one computer. Earthlink charges $1 per hour EXTRA for this. The XP sharing is not a proxy so the ISP sees different layer2 MAC addresses and will silently (in the case of Earthlink) keep track of the usage.

Collapse -
Dial-up Router
by david spatz / February 10, 2005 11:46 PM PST

We have had great success with several dial-up routers that are currently available. MultiTech Routerfinder, , SMC7004AVR Barricade and Netgear FR328S all support a combination of Cable/DSL with modem back-up. In your case - just set-up the modem with a dial-up account and it will work great. SonicWall bought out the (I believe) originator of this idea "The WEBRAMP". If you are looking to add excellent content filtering and router enforced Anti-Virus - step up to the SonicWall Tele3 SP with built-in Analog Modem.

A second thought that was mentioned before. Several satellite companies are now providing two way high speed Internet access. They are a little more expensive than DSL or Cable - but in your case - a worthwhile alternative. DirectWay from Hughes Network is providing Satellite broadband access for the home for appox $99.00 a month

Regards,

David Spatz
Network Plumbing, LLC

Collapse -
Satellite Internet
by CubPilot / March 24, 2005 3:20 AM PST
In reply to: Dial-up Router

Satellite connections have a down side. You will not be able to use it for online games/sims. The latency (time up to and back from the satellite) is too long for gaming.

If all you do is email and surf the net it will do quite well, in those cases you will never notice the lag from the high latency.

Collapse -
SMC7004ABR Barricade
by jeffrob / May 16, 2005 2:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Dial-up Router

Thanks so much for the recommendations. I had been searching for a dial-up router and just couldn't find one. The SMC was an affordable choice.

Collapse -
just need to know
by snick / August 18, 2005 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: SMC7004ABR Barricade

i have a SMC Barracade router do they only work for dial up service? because i have cable internet and just found this one and in with my extra stuff and want to network some computers but only has 4 phone plug ins on it so do i need a different one? thanks to whoever answers this. please send an answer to snickers714@yahoo.com

Collapse -
This is a very old post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2005 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: just need to know

It's been months since anyone added to it.

It might be best if you want replies to create your very own post WITHOUT email addresses for the SPAM ROBOTS to harvest.

You can use the email contact system in your profile to allow email contacts without SPAM ROBOT issues.

Bob

Collapse -
Dial up router
by yohan129 / February 11, 2005 1:00 AM PST

yes a dial up network can be set up ,open the web browser and type the http://etc. to access the configuration utility,click primary setup,change,and then select dial up modem.enter appropiate imformation
for your dial up modem internet service provider settings and click save. yohan.

Collapse -
Dial Up Router
by Bob Mac / February 11, 2005 2:45 AM PST
Collapse -
YES THERE IS
by solomentality / August 18, 2005 4:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
re: dialup router
by nailbyter / September 26, 2005 8:12 AM PDT

try looking for DLink DP-601M and DP-602 on ebay. they are still around in AU and CA but not sold retail in US any more.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.