Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

dial up modems available in new laptop?

by walk59 / February 8, 2011 4:40 AM PST

do new laptops still come with internal dialup modems ?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dial up modems available in new laptop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dial up modems available in new laptop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some do, some don't . . .
by Coryphaeus / February 8, 2011 5:36 AM PST

You'll need to shop around. USB and PCMCIA modems are available almost everywhere.

Collapse -
Get High-speed.
by skoobbarnesdl / March 16, 2011 5:00 AM PDT

If you are in an area without cable or dsl, you can get High-speed via satellite. It's a little bit expensive, but after you factor your dial up cost and phone line cost it's not that much more. Here is a company who knows the product very well. www.satellitepro.NET. order online or call their 800#. Dial up is not working on more and more new computers. The computer wants to process information way faster than dial up will allow. Good luck.

Collapse -
dial-up modems doesn't come with new laptops...
by vanisa71 / May 24, 2011 12:13 AM PDT

I'm buying a new laptop and they
no longer have dial-up modems. I want to be able to use it some of the
time in an area where there is only dial-up available. Is there a
reasonable solution to this situation?
Confused

Collapse -
Re: dial up modem
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 24, 2011 12:30 AM PDT

I think I recently read that Dell still has the options to configure dial-up modems on certain models. But I didn't check.

But there still should be external USB dial-up modems with Windows 7 drivers. Just plug it in and connect with the phone outlet.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.