Networking & Wireless forum

Devices won't reconnect to router

by froodman / October 2, 2013 6:37 AM PDT

Need help with some weird connectivity issues.

Router: Netgear CG3100 router
Devices: 2 MacBook Airs, 2 iPhones, 1 Windows XP laptop, 1 Samsung Galaxy S3, 1 Nokia E71 phone, and one LG Smart TV.
Everything connected well. Even the odd visitor with a laptop or smartphone.

Then I shifted apartments and the ISP, too.
Same router, same devices.

Now, the Apple devices connect and work flawlessly. But, the Galaxy S3, the LG Smart TV, and the Nokia e71 all see the WiFi, but just can't connect to it. And the Windows XP laptop connects and works OK for some time but then can't connect to the Internet (even though it remains connected to the router signal).

Fixes I've tried:
Placed the router no more than 8 feet away from the defaulting devices. No success.
Router channels changed a few times. No success.
Router power cycled and factory reset a few times. No success.
Smart TV restarted and factory reset a few times. No success.
Android phone cache wiped and restarted a few times. No success. (Haven't factory reset it yet.)
Found another CG3100 lying around and exactly the same experience with that, too!
Yes, I am entering the correct password in every device.

Noteworthy are the Apple devices, which have gone through multiple cycles of forgetting and connecting to the network, and reconnect at the first go. I have new respect for them, but I digress!

Can anyone please help?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Devices won't reconnect to router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Devices won't reconnect to router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Try the usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 2, 2013 10:42 AM PDT

It's noted in this forum so we use router defaults and only hide the SSID if we are OK with drop and connection issues. I didn't find any details here so I'm going with the usual latest firmware and stock settings.

Collapse -
Default = true
by froodman / October 2, 2013 8:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Try the usual.

Thanks for responding, Bob.
Router is on stock firmware and I have stuck with router defaults on SSID and password since I ran into issues. No luck, though.

Collapse -
Sorry if I was unclear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2013 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Default = true

I only hinted more detail was required. Here's a discussion where we found details and I was able to help. The more you tell the better I can see if there is a common issue we can address.

-> READ;threadListing

I do read you changed channels but not details such as which channel. Also, which 802.11x? When I see troubles I move to 802.11g as I work other settings to sniff out a solution. I also carry a good router with me.

Collapse -
Router details
by froodman / October 5, 2013 7:29 AM PDT

Sorry for the delay!!

After factory reset, the CG3100 defaults to:
802.11 bgn
Bandwidth 20 MHz
Channel setting Auto, 11

Now, the router is set to 802.11g and channel 6 (arbitrary).

Tried with TV, which sees the network, as usual, but doesn't connect. Tested out removing the password altogether, but strangely enough, TV still doesn't connect (although it sees that the nw is not encrypted anymore)!
No luck with the non-Apple phones, either.

Collapse -
"No luck with the non-Apple phones, either."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2013 2:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Router details

OK, if the non-Apple phones work at other hot spots then I change the router.

In parting my wndr3800 had connection issues and Netgear forums (I looked there first) found folk installing an older firmware version. That worked but I lost some features. 3 months later Netgear got it fixed with a new firmware BUT I had to use tftp to install the new firmware. You can imagine average owners would be very upset at the techiness/guru skills required.

Collapse -
Changed routers: issue resolved
by froodman / October 27, 2013 3:24 AM PDT

Hello and sorry for the long absence on this one. I really wanted to stick with my existing routers and make 'em work, but it just didn't happen. Set up an even older Netgear I fished out of old junk in the cellar and everything just connected. Phones, laptops, TV - everything works now.

Big thanks to you, Bob Proffitt, for helping me to save time that I would have othesrwise wasted searching for ways to make the old setup work.

Issue resolved!

Collapse -
Good to read and a parting tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2013 3:37 AM PDT

"Channel setting Auto, 11"

I like the Auto settings but on some models they reduce power on channels 1 and 11 (or the highest channel for the region.) So if you get into some range issues, nudge it down or up one channel.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.