Windows Legacy OS

Question

Devices with Removable Storage

by steveh31008 / November 13, 2012 10:14 PM PST

When I turn on my pc and it boots up I click on my computer it displays a list of items that are on my computer but under the heading .....Devices with Removable Storage I have my cdrom drive and 4 removable disks lettered E, F, G, H. But I have no removable storage connected to my PC, how can I repair this problem. This pc is new to me bought it second hand it has windows XP home. On my old pc it only recognised removable storage if it was plugged in. How can I fix this problem. Also have purchased 120gb hard drive that I want to use as a slave with the original hard drive and it won't let me format it

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Devices with Removable Storage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Devices with Removable Storage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: drives
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 13, 2012 10:29 PM PST

Removable storage might be a card reader for 4 different kind of cards. Not a problem anyway, so there is no need to repair it. However, https://www.google.com/search?q=xp+hide+drive+letter will tell you how to hide them, if you want.

About that second hard drive:
1. What does Disk Management say about it?
2. Does it have a drive letter?
3. If the driver letter is, say, k:, what happens if (in the command prompt) you say format k: (+ enter)?

Kees

Collapse -
drive letter
by steveh31008 / November 14, 2012 8:40 AM PST
In reply to: Re: drives

Kees
I think you got me all wrong I don't want to hide the drive letter i want to get rid off it permanent. I would have liked a clean hard drive with just the operating system and the basics that go with it.

As for the other hard drive it has been assigned the letter I (i) following on from the other 4 drives i cant read or open. When I opened Device Manager all four drives were listed along with the 2 hard drives installed on this computer

Collapse -
E, F, G, H
by mchainmchain / November 14, 2012 8:53 AM PST
In reply to: drive letter

If a desktop, open the case and disconnect power and cable from the card reader device. Physically removing the device will accomplish the same thing, but leave you with an empty hole in the front of the computer.

Maybe drive I (i) is not good. Drive letter for that drive will change once you disconnect the power for the card reader; shut the computer down first, unplug the power connection to the card reader, then start it back up. Unplug and reseat the connections for the slave drive before powering back up. Check to make sure your slave drive is either set to cable select or slave when installing it.

Collapse -
Card Reader
by steveh31008 / November 15, 2012 9:45 PM PST
In reply to: E, F, G, H

mchainmchain

Thanks for your reply, now I know that the drive letters refer to a piece of hardware which is already installed on this pc, I'm fine with it. Just wanted to know why they were there.

The problem with the other hard drives still persists. It recognises the hard drive and how big it is but won't let me open it or read it and tells me its not formatted, when I try to format it windows tells me it cant format it.

Collapse -
Re: formatted
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 15, 2012 9:54 PM PST
In reply to: Card Reader

Then go into Disk Management (part of Windows) delete the partition(s) on it and create a nice new one (or more than one if you think that makes sense), formatted NTFS.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.