Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

Developing a high tech video hosting website? whom to approa

by JaneBlackmore / December 1, 2012 10:26 PM PST

I want to develop my own website of video hosting similar to YouTube, Vimeo, where it will be relying on (user generated content).

I don't know how to approach this project, whom to go to. Should I go for a freelancer, or an established company specialized in developing softwares and websites.
I am only putting down 20k for this website.
My objective is not to generate money as much as to find an alternative of YouTube.

My questions are:
Do you think 20k is enough? as a start
Do you think I should approach companies or freelancer?
Also I am developing an iphone app for this website as well.

Please include references to programmers and developers if you have anything in mind.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Developing a high tech video hosting website? whom to approa
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Developing a high tech video hosting website? whom to approa
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Maybe in some other country?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2012 1:27 AM PST

The last iphone app a company I have worked with dropped about a half million for their iphone app.

They had it done in South America and your 20K (USD?) would be eaten up in about 2 to 4 trips to see the developers.

You might want to think about your idea as there are alternatives to YouTube already plus you have other than iPhone users out there.

Collapse -
by Sovereign Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 10:42 PM PST
Do you think 20k is enough? as a start

That entirely depends on how much YouTube and Vimeo's features you are replicating. If it's only a web page for registering, logging in and uploading videos, that's pretty straight forward. Once you expand to a commenting system, social integration, ratings, creating groups, following people, etc, the more time and money it will cost. You'd be best off to first define what it is you want to accomplish.

In addition, there are several cost factors to consider. There is the cost of the initial development, but also server costs, which will eat up your 20K pretty quick. You'll need lots of storage (video files), RAM and CPU (video conversation), bandwidth (stream videos) and probably a content delivery network (localization).

Do you think I should approach companies or freelancer?

I can't say one is better than the other. What it comes down to is finding the right "person" to do the job. It may be a company, it may be a small business, it may be just one or two people.

Also I am developing an iphone app for this website as well.

I think a better approach would be to create a responsive design that can adapt to various mobile platforms, whether that would be the iPhone, iPad, Android devices or now even Microsoft tablets. The fact is, there are so many devices and platforms, why narrow down your potential market based on hardware requirements.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.