Networking & Wireless

Question

Desperately need a recommendation for SFTP/SSH Application

by AccessDrive / December 13, 2012 1:09 AM PST

For the past two months I have been searching the web for an application/software that I can use to auto upload files to a server on a schedule bases. Originally I thought this would be a simple matter but turns out I was wrong.

There are many software available for this but the issues is how they all function. Example: One software Synchronized FTP allows you to set a local/remote folder and sync files between them. What was never disclosed is that you need Windows Task Scheduler to run the synchronization, and you do not see a progress indicator. I also tried TurboFTP but it felt like landing a space shuttle. I don't need all that stuff, just a simple interface.

To shorten this message, I have tried too many to count.
What I need is something clean, uncluttered, straightforward and can be automated. Example: Set it to grab a file at 2:00am and place to server.

All I need is an application to grab a file from a local folder via SFTP/SSH and place it in a remote server folder .

I need something that I can automate (set it and forget it).

Have you tried anything that is robust, works every time, automated and shows you the file is there? I just need to upload a file.

Thank everyone!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desperately need a recommendation for SFTP/SSH Application
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desperately need a recommendation for SFTP/SSH Application
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Let's summarize.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2012 1:14 AM PST

"I need something that I can automate"

I've automated such a thing too many times but I fear the real issue is that I'm over the top as to what I do. I write apps in languages ranging from assembler to many high level languages so what you are asking for is not what can work but something you can type in English or click around a mouse and make it go.

I can't find that app. Do you have staff that can do this for you?
Bob

Collapse -
In regards to Automation
by AccessDrive / December 13, 2012 1:20 AM PST
In reply to: Let's summarize.

Not necessarily, I also write languages but I have never written anything for SFTP/SSH automation.
You can still write languages in an uncluttered, straightforward environment.

I am sure there are great applications out there but that's why I am here, maybe someone can recommend.

Thanks for the input.

Collapse -
Since we have a scheduler.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2012 1:24 AM PST

Since most OSes have a scheduler it seems that all we need is to write the script to do the work then put it in the scheduler.

That could be as simple as one line of script and one scheduled event.

-> Why would we turn this into some app with GUI and maybe add some skeuomorphism on top?

That's why I think this is something of an app you may want to have written just for you.
Bob

Collapse -
That progress indicator.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2012 1:28 AM PST

That would be in your spec to the software author. Could get costly.

One of my apps had to implement that so to avoid any copyright issues I had to get the spec for the protocol then write the transfer myself. This allowed me to put in a progress bar as required in the spec. But they pay so we write it.
Bob

Collapse -
Adding a task scheduler
by AccessDrive / December 13, 2012 1:44 AM PST

What I am saying is it was never disclosed that the program needed Task scheduler to run. If you have used it you will noticed that there is an auto button which can seem like that's all you need.

I have no problems using task scheduler but at least I need to know that it is required.

Any other thoughts?

Collapse -
By definition it has to be scheduled.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2012 1:53 AM PST

However I did run into a client that demanded it not use a task scheduler. So we changed the words to placate the client. I don't know why they were so adverse to the scheduler word but phobias abound out there and as an author you learn to sing along.

-> Sorry but is there some issue beyond the norm here?
Bob

Collapse -
So do you have a recommedation
by AccessDrive / December 13, 2012 1:57 AM PST

Based on your professional opinion and what you have done.
Is there any application you can recommend?

FYI, I am not using this to upload files from NASA to the Rover or INT'l Space station, just a very basic upload. Happy

Collapse -
Write the spec and put it out for bid.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2012 2:01 AM PST

Here I would have written the one line copy command (sftp and such is available on the command line with added command line apps.) Then scheduled it after testing.

I could expand the script to send me the results via email or such.

But it appears your spec needs to be written up and then put to some programmer to create it. If you don't want them to use the native task scheduler for what ever reason, tell them.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.