Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Desperate with c0000218 error {registry file failure}

by lord grunge / August 1, 2005 3:18 PM PDT

My head's about to explode. I'll be brief:

Im getting: Stop c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file)
\SystemRoot\System32\Config|SOFTWARE
or its log or alternate

and it goes on to say how its dumping physical memory.

Now, i'm not computer illiterate, but it's just i have no clue how to fix this crap. Ive read over all sorts of crap about boot discs and complex instructional things and im going to die if i cant get my computer working.

So please, can someone help me. Im desperate. Pretend im a child and baby me to the answer.
I dont have the windows xp disc, i lost it. I need an alternate EASY to understand way to get my computer working... i dont care if I had to wipe out my computer's memory and start over.

So please again, show me the exact program and method i need to get my computer on track (like i had no idea what to do)... im going through withdrawls. Thank you for your heart of gold.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desperate with c0000218 error {registry file failure}
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desperate with c0000218 error {registry file failure}
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Config
by phantazy / August 1, 2005 4:34 PM PDT

Your 'config' file in windows/system32 is corrupted. This contains especially five files necessary for windows to boot.These are /system, /software/, sam, /security, and/default. Go to : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545
which will show you a step by step means of restoring this folder. In your case it would appear that you only need to restore the 'software' file, i.e. you only have to use one out of five for repair. Post back if tyou have problems. Good luck.

Collapse -
I dont have the windows xp disc, i lost it.
by glb613 / August 1, 2005 8:08 PM PDT

That's a real problem. I'd recommend you contact Microsoft or your computer manufacturer and get another one. Should you ever need to repair or reinstall the operating system, you won't be able to do that.

Collapse -
Apologies
by phantazy / August 1, 2005 8:18 PM PDT

I'm sorry but I didn't read the bit about the lost CD. If you get another one, copy the 'Recovery Console' to the 'boot.ini' file for future problem solutions. That allows you to cure problems without an XP installation working.

Collapse -
Looks unfixable to me. No XP CD (lost).
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2005 10:33 PM PDT

Since over 1/2 of the methods I would supply involve the XP CD, that needs to be fixed first.

-> I know it seems harsh but this can be a lesson about being ready for a disaster.

Bob

Collapse -
hmmmm
by lord grunge / August 2, 2005 4:17 AM PDT

well, ill see if i can get an xp disc somehow. But i heard that i could download a boot disc somehow that would do the same job for people who lost or misplaced theirs

Collapse -
Boot disk is at bootdisk.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2005 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: hmmmm

In closing, Microsoft will replace your lost CD. Last time it was under 20 bucks which is a bargain compared to a new license.

Bob

Collapse -
c0000218 error and data recovery or some other boot method
by jdw / February 27, 2007 1:10 AM PST

Windows XP Home
Compaq Presario 2105 Notebook

I have recently encountered this "stop:c0000218{Registry File Failure}" on the above laptop.

Currently, I've called HP and they have told me the system is
unbootable, that is I would have to reformat the drive and I do
have data I would like to try and recover.

The BIOS does not support booting of a USB device but does
off of a network. I've never preformed this.

I've read some other posts that suggest a live linux CD would
possibly boot successfully, or also the possibility of doing
a network boot. Are any of these feasible at all?

I've tried a IDE hard disk enclosure capture with no success.

My next shot is to remove the hard drive and cable it with a
laptop to IDE cable to a PC motherboard. Has this worked for anyone?

Sugggestions appreciated.

Collapse -
Just a suggestion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 1:13 AM PST

Be care when replying to old discussions. This one is over one year old and what's in here may have new or been superseded with better ideas or solutions.

Feel free to create a new post all to your own with a good subject title for best responses.

Bob

Collapse -
Okay
by jdw / February 27, 2007 1:15 AM PST
In reply to: Just a suggestion.

Okay, it's been awhile since I've been here.

Collapse -
Sorry, dropped some letters. (be careful)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 1:25 AM PST
In reply to: Just a suggestion.

If you missed it, the concept is that some may pass over old discussions or not spot that someone has asked a new question inside someone else's discussion.

-> Do use such discussions to see how other's deal with this but be careful about burying a new request there.

Bob

Collapse -
Desperate with c0000218 error {registry file failure}
by dhirajsiwal / August 14, 2005 5:47 AM PDT

HOW TO FIX THIS ISSUE

Collapse -
Simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2005 5:57 AM PDT

Call Microsoft and order a replacement XP CD.

Bob

Collapse -
What you're facing . .
by Cursorcowboy / August 14, 2005 11:32 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.