Computer Help forum

Desperate for help setting up Charter E-Mail

by floorlizard / March 18, 2013 1:28 PM PDT

I have had it with Charter!!! Without going through all of the backstory, I need help setting up my Charter E-Mail on my laptop. None of the setting on Charter's site are working. I have a Win8 system and am using Outlook 2007. Additionally, I would like to be able to send and receive E-Mail when I am on a network other than my own ISP's. For the record, I am also having issues with my android phone not being able to send E-Mail's through my charter account. I had these issues previously but the old 'work-around' isn't working any longer.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desperate for help setting up Charter E-Mail
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desperate for help setting up Charter E-Mail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: not working
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 18, 2013 9:13 PM PDT

If all detail you can tell is "it doesn't work", then all we can say is "you're doing something wrong, better ask Charters customer service to walk you through the settings".
You didn't tell either what the 'old work-around' is, and why it doesn't work.

Sending e-mail when connected to another ISP often is impossible via POP3 or IMAP because the ISP blocks it to prevent spam being sent. Charters customer service can tell you it they allow it or not. If not, then you have to use the webmail they offer.

Collapse -
by floorlizard / March 18, 2013 10:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: not working

I have tried all settings on Charters site. charter points the finger at MS and has no clue. This is the same issue I had before but found through some forums tht I could use as the outgoing server and it worked for the last couple of years. Even THAT was a "work around" that Charter didn't / couldn't tell me about. charter is COMPLETELY useless...

Collapse -
Re: doesn't work
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 18, 2013 11:15 PM PDT

You still don't say what exactly happens. "Doesn't work" really tells nothing.

If you can't get it working in MS Outlook in a unknown version of Windows on your laptop using your Internet connection, it's time to experiment a little bit, by varying:
1. The e-mail client (Thunderbird is free)
2. The OS (Linux is free and current versions come with Thunderbird)
3. The machine (ask a friend with a laptop to visit and try there)
4. The location (find someone who also has Charter as his ISP and try there). Receiving your mail should even work if that someone has another ISP).

I think it's rather certain that if you use your laptop with Thunderbird under Linux on another location, it will work and receive your mail.There's nothing that connects your then you with your current you. Unless, of course, something is wrong with your account at Charter. But at the moment nothing points to that. As I said, at the moment nothing points to anything.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.