Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Desktop Wallpaper Disappears

by Daviddude / April 8, 2008 1:33 PM PDT

Hi People,

I have a HP Pavilion A1624N computer, running Windows Media Center 2005.
AMD 64 x 2 Processor 2.0 GHz, 1 Gig of RAM.
All of a sudden yesterday morning when I right clicked on my desktop and un-checked Show Desktop Icons (to take a print screen for my friend) the problem started. This worked fine, I did the print screen and saved it in paint no problem. But when I right clicked again and then chose Show Desktop Icons, they came back, but my wallpaper disappeared. I tried several ways to get it back: Opening up my pictures, highlighting the pic and then selected the left hand side Set As Desktop Background, my background did not change. I selected a new wallpaper in Display Properties, that worked for about a minute and 1/2 and then the wallpaper disappeared again. Both of these times when I right click on the desktop and un-checked the Show Desktop Icons, my picture came back.
I tried a System Restore, that didn't help. One thing I noted, sometimes when I open up Display Properties, it will show the pic in the preview window and have that picture listed in the selection box, and sometimes that picture won't be listed in the selection box.
I have researched here for solutions, and did a trial by copying the picture to my Windows directory and so far that has worked.
But I didn't have to do this. I have had this computer for a few months now and have changed my picture many times (using pictures from the My Pictures folder) and never had a problem until yesterday.
I ran Norton - nothing found. I ran the online Kaspersky and it found several adware but these came with the computer, and I have never used them. It found adware in PeoplePC install software, and in Weatherbug. But I have never used these programs so I really don't think that is my problem.
Any ideas how to fix this?
Thanks in advance for your replies.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desktop Wallpaper Disappears
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desktop Wallpaper Disappears
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Oh, one more thing...
by Daviddude / April 8, 2008 1:40 PM PDT

I also have Lavasoft Ad Aware 2007, Spybot Search & Destroy, and CCleaner installed and use them weekly.

I just used the Lavasoft and all it found were tracking cookies, Sypbot Search & Destroy found nothing but the Windows Security Center being disabled, but it has been like that since I installed Norton.

Collapse -
Just a couple of things to try.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 8, 2008 5:57 PM PDT

When you right clicked the empty Desktop and selected, "Show Desktop icons", did you also select "Lock Web Items on the Desktop"?

Also, in Display Properties, Desktop tab, Customize Desktop button, Web tab, have you selected a web page to display on the Desktop? And/or have you selected the "Lock desktop items"?

If that is not it, perhaps others here will have different ideas.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks Mark
by Daviddude / April 8, 2008 10:25 PM PDT

Thanks for replying.

I tried the Lock Web Items on Desktop, and that changes the icon text. If this is not checked, the icon text is just letters under the icon. If I check that, this places a blue box behind the icon text. I then chose a different pic from my pictures folder and I had the picture and icons normal until I right clicked on the display and chose Refresh. The desktop wallpaper disappeared but I had icons. I then right clicked and chose Lock Web Items on Desktop, and the wallpaper and icons are there like they should be BUT I also have that blue box mentioned above. I unchecked the Lock Web items, and the icon text returned to normal but the picture disappeared again.

For your second suggestion, I have never used the Display Web Page on desktop. I went there now (interesting note the preview window does show the picture in the selection list as my wallpaper) I selected the Lock Items on Desktop there and clicked Apply then OK and the wallpaper came back but the icons have that blue box behind the icon text again.

I tried the Customize Desktop under the web, browsed for a picture and then clicked OK. This put the picture as my wallpaper, but this caused my icon text to have that blue box again behind the icon text (I checked and Lock Items is not checked as above). Also the picture even though it is the same display size as my desktop settings - is a full pic and then at the right hand bottom corner the picture is re-pasted there - almost like when you select Tile for a picture that isn't the full screen size.

Thanks though I appreciate your suggestions. Happy

Collapse -
Update
by Daviddude / April 10, 2008 9:26 PM PDT

Hi Mark,

I just wanted to let you know that after I tried your suggestions the problem stopped. I have had the same wallpaper now for a couple of days and the problem has not repeated.
I am guessing that maybe when I tried your suggestions, I woke up the registry settings?
Thanks for your help! Happy

Collapse -
I reckon I know what it was.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 11, 2008 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Update

I have one in my system, and I reckon we all do. I call mine the "Windows glitch" Happy

Most times things work very well, then suddenly, bang! And then, often, after hours of searching and hair tearing, sleepless nights, nail biting, it works again.

I see you have one too.

Mark

Collapse -
THANK YOU!!!
by CSR22 / November 19, 2009 12:56 AM PST

I have had this same problem for weeks and spent hours and hours looking for answers. I knew it would be something super simple but just had to find the right thread.
Thanks Mark (and no thanks to glitchy windows! :))

Collapse -
Icons Disappeared
by 8Lincoln / December 3, 2009 8:17 AM PST

Same sort of problem was raised eariler.
Any ideas on a solution?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.